Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Silencer question

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    What they've said above. Go the Savage International Trophy Hunter or Howa, not much more than you are looking at spending on the Axis but better quality. If you're around Chch I'd be happy to take you to the range for a play with suppressor on and off.
    Would love to, But I live in Welly>< Ty man!

The Howas in 308 also come factory threaded so you will not have the extra fuss/expense of threading/recrowning when you come to getting a supressor. Much better finish and build quality than the axis or ruger american. The scope it comes with is pretty average, but will get you by until you can afford better.

Also dont forget to factor in some cash for some cleaning and maintenance bits and bobs, the little hidden extras add up.

If you want something proven like a cz, @garyp has a nice Brno 308 he is selling for around 7 hundy, spend the rest on a scope.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Donot want to put a spanner in your works , BUT , if you have never fired a firearm before , then your 1st rifle should maybe be a rimfire bolt action , along the lines of a cheap chinese bruno , ie norinco etc , or a 2nd hand CZ452 etc .
    You also need some training before being let loose .

Yours Chris
    JoshC, Spudattack, kiwi39 and 2 others like this.

Ruger American with SSRNZ (Scott Traill) supprsessor...light and accurate and very economical
    sakokid likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Donot want to put a spanner in your works , BUT , if you have never fired a firearm before , then your 1st rifle should maybe be a rimfire bolt action , along the lines of a cheap chinese bruno , ie norinco etc , or a 2nd hand CZ452 etc .
    You also need some training before being let loose .

Yours Chris
    I agree I'd probably need a bit of coaching at first, But I don't see much point in getting a .22 if I'm planning on hunting, Especially deer and goats. I'd imagine it would be like when I started riding a motorcycle I had a 250 then a couple months later I was desperate for something bigger, Been on a 750 ever since I may get a .22 at some point for indoor shoots but that isn't what I'm wanting to do right now and seems like i'd be wasting money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    The Howas in 308 also come factory threaded so you will not have the extra fuss/expense of threading/recrowning when you come to getting a supressor. Much better finish and build quality than the axis or ruger american. The scope it comes with is pretty average, but will get you by until you can afford better.

Also dont forget to factor in some cash for some cleaning and maintenance bits and bobs, the little hidden extras add up.
    That does indeed sound good, I already factored in cleaning kits, I bought a set already + some oil got the set cheap, was an unissued surplus one

Indoor shoots
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Indoor shoots
    Indoor range here in welly for 22 rifles

You are spoilt
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    You are spoilt
    Wellington Central Smallbore Rifle Club

No offence but Chris is right. Learn to walk before you run. If you haven't shot a firearm before and plan to 'go hunting' you need practice. You need to learn to shoot. Learn where to shoot an animal to achieve a clean kill. The animals deserve it. Practicing with a centre fire is costly if you are buying ammo. I'd recommend taking a step back, buying a rimfire and practicing. Then joining local deerstalkers club and tagging along on hunts will be far more productive than just buying a 308 and expecting to go shoot stuff.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishkiwi View Post
    I may get a .22 at some point for indoor shoots but that isn't what I'm wanting to do right now and seems like i'd be wasting money.
    Learning to shoot with only a .308 will be a bigger waste of money.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishkiwi View Post
    That does indeed sound good, I already factored in cleaning kits, I bought a set already + some oil got the set cheap, was an unissued surplus one
    There was a cleaning thread recently. You might want to read that and get something other than a cheap multi-piece rod to stick down a nice new rifle...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    You will only ever need one .308 in your life. Save the pennies, borrow from family, do layby ... What ever it takes ...but get the rifle you want.
    Keep safe in the hills ... Gunzrrrr