Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: A Stevens 22 RF

Quote Originally Posted by sportco62 View Post
    This is a later- made rifle -they made them up to 1940 or so.
    No
    These models tapped out in 1916
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

The key detail in identifying the various Stevens Ideal models is the location of the various action screws

Same number, different locations on the various models
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Stevens also didn't model mark the Ideal rifles where it can be easily seen.

Due to them being a change barrel model ( not really a take down like the Favorite ) they put the model marking on the action front face against the fore end wood.

And because that is a flat action face to flat fore end wood face you got corrosion in there and the model can be hard to see clearly

Regards the takedown screw.
    Because the Ideal was change barrel it has a smaller screw end that requires a screw driver.
    Most of them are pretty rough after over 100 years and I have yet to see one that didn't need work in this area.

I generally treat them as a fixed barrel rifle and if the threads are really loose I do put some locating compound in there when I finally reassemble a finished rustoration

These also usually need new links and pins and the extractor wears excessively on its pivot pin.
    The extractor tip is often like a sharp chisel from being dry fired and needs a bit of laser weld added and dressed up to get reliable extraction and also avoid injury if you catch a finger on it
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Hey ya'll - inside the fore-end it's marked "church 1917"
    akaroa1 likes this.

Well 3 pages of suspense is enough, it's a Stevens 044 1/2 serial 2450 in 22 LR and so stamped on the action. A true falling block action and quite strong (relative to their very small stature and unsophisticated metallurgy) for such a wee chap. They are pretty uncommon here, as far as I know the ones here are more likely to be 25 or 30 rimfire and this example is a bit unusual in that it's not the "English" model which were the ones intended for export. The best place to find out about such rifles is the "American Single Shot Rifle Association" forum, and I'll enquire there and report back
    Swanny likes this.

Yes finally

Yes the "English" model and none of my three have the British proofs either
    They were also often referred to as the " Ladies" model

Shotgun butt
    Octagonal to round 24" or 26" barrels
    The same profile as the 44 1/2 action, the same breech block, but thinner action walls
    22 RF 25 RF and 32 RF and 25-20 CF Stevens ( different to 25-20 WCF )

1904 to 1916 ( from memory )

Stevens were already making the Ideal model 44 and Favorite which are cast iron actions and a swinging block design.
    They brought out the 44 1/2 which is cast steel and true falling block.
    It was intended to replace the model 44, but production costs were higher and single shot rifles were falling out of favour.
    So the 44 1/2 and 044 1/2 didn't last long and the model 44 kept chugging along for another 20 years.

The 44 1/2 / 044 1/2 were popular target and hunting rifles.
    And are still quite sought after by single shot lovers.
    They do have a nice action, very good trigger and fast lock time.

But they suffered from some pretty ordinary quality control when compared with Winchester and Remington rifles of that time.
    I guess that was to be able to compete on price. They were considerably cheaper than the 1885 which stopped production in 1920.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Greetings All,
    A pretty rare and neat rifle then. The only Stevens rifles I have seen in the flesh are a few Favourite .22RF. I knew about the 44 and 441/2, Frank de Hass helped me out on that through his book, but I had never heard of the 0441/2.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Banned
    I have seen the 44 and the 44 1/2 rifles - this is the first 044 1/2 I have seen. Interesting rifle and history.

The difference is that the 044 1/2 frame is 1/8" narrower
    So very subtle

The first one I brought from a gent in Oamaru. He thought it was a 44 1/2 and despite it having no fore end the model markings were visible but hard to read
    That was a 32 RF and is now a 22 LR

My second is a standard 22 LR from a Timaru antique arms auction.
    It was pretty tired and very dirty ( no harm in cleaning the barrel for an auction )
    Plenty of guys looked at it and I heard several comment about it being an odd Favorite!
    It was cheap enough and cleaned up well.
    Needed pins and as usual the take down screw was shagged.

My third was another 044 1/2 32 RF from Southland.
    This 32 RF had a reasonable looking bore. So I converted the breech block to center fire and chambered to 32-20.
    It shoots 120 grain cast lead powder coat gas check bullets really well with a small load of Trailboss.

So there are three of an uncommon low production model that have been sucked into the black hole of my collection

They are considerably stronger than the Favorite
    Have a much smaller barrel shank than the 44 1/2
    And are really maxed out on a 32-20

They are a fantastic man size 22 LR hunting rifle
    Too light in the English model to be a target rifle
    Swanny and grandpamac like this.
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Greetings,
    It never ceases to amaze me how much joy there is to be gained just faffing around with old rifles (and shotguns). For us older chaps it keeps our minds active if not our bodies. Years ago when I actually worked for a living one of my tasks was managing the long term maintenance of Councils Housing for the Elderly. This brought me into contact with many of the residents many of which were younger than I now am. The ones that had hobbies and interests were engaged and active. The others not so much. It was a good lesson for me.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Here is the replacement screw for the last 044 1/2 I rustored

Name:  20230820_161522.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  922.5 KB

And the results from conversion to 32-20 center fire

Name:  20230821_141215.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  870.2 KB
    The Church of
    John Browning
    of the Later-Day Shooter

Peering through the mist i can just make out the target, that's pretty good shooting in weather conditions like that. 🙂
    Makros and akaroa1 like this.