Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tikka T3x vs Sako A7 RoughTech Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    The superlite utilise genuine Sako Finnlight barrels
    So the local distributors import T3 actions and Finnlight barrels and screw them together here? Or throw away original T3 barrels and replace them with Finnlight barrels? Seems an odd way of doing things. Are you sure they don't just have T3s fluted by a local gunsmith?

I've found a few American ads for 'T3 superlites' too now so maybe its not just local, still don't know why Tikka wouldn't list it in the models on their own website if its a factory one though.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 21-06-2016 at 01:05 AM.

^ I've emailed Beretta NZ asking this, no reply yet.
    GravelBen likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    So the local distributors import T3 actions and Finnlight barrels and screw them together here? Or throw away original T3 barrels and replace them with Finnlight barrels? Seems an odd way of doing things. Are you sure they don't just have T3s fluted by a local gunsmith?

I've found a few American ads for 'T3 superlites' too now so maybe its not just local, still don't know why Tikka wouldn't list it in the models on their own website if its a factory one though.
    I would have thought that the barrels came out of the same hammer forge machine for both Sako & Tikka rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I would have thought that the barrels came out of the same hammer forge machine for both Sako & Tikka rifles?
    That would make sense, I wondered about that. Would make it pretty meaningless for anyone to claim that its a Finnlight barrel not a T3 barrel!

I'm comfortable calling mine a "Tako Super Finn".
    Ruapehu likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    I'm comfortable calling mine a "Tako Super Finn".
    Better than a Tin Super Fako!
    SlimySquirrel and Mathias like this.

I've received a lot of conflicting information regarding the Tikka superlites, according to Beretta they are factory fluted, however I have heard from other people that they are fluted in NZ.....

Quite frustrating.

Caretaker
    Factory fluted in the sako factory as they use factory finnlight barrels

But I'm sure guncity have fluted some themselves and jumped on the gravy train
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Yeah, gun city off their "Tikka Finn light" it's fluted by them along with the bolt.

The Super light are also sold in the USA and Australia so I'm not sure they would be shipped here to be fluted then shipped around the world with their MOA guarantee.

I looked into the Tikka "SuperLight" 4 or 5 years ago when they first appeared in the US. The fluted barrel part number in the Owners Manual was the same for both the Tikka T3 and Sako 85. I think if you read any firearm manufacturers warranty, any modification to the firearm will void the warranty. I cannot imagine that Gun City or any other retailer would go to the effort of fluting a barrel. As for the Sako A7 RoughTec Pro - all calibers have a semi-heavy 24" factory fluted barrel - from memory. That might be good for long range / big caliber but does not seem to make sense in something like .308

Gun City do.

A mate has one from them. It looks nice.. fluting is a bit sharper than the factory version.

Tikka T3 FinnLite Stainless **You Choose Calibre** - tikka, bolt, stainless, available, new, barrel, ... - Gun City

I'd be curious to know who (Gun City or Beretta) is going to cover any warranty claims !

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiinSeattle View Post
    I'd be curious to know who (Gun City or Beretta) is going to cover any warranty claims !
    Given the shit reputations of both, I say good luck with any wty claim,

Had the Roughtech in 300 win. Stock is a step up from the Tikka with an ali chassis. Accurate and yes not real light, but not too heavy either, kinda good when shooting 300 win. Biggest issue (and same prob with the Tikka) was lack of mag length for seating longer pills in magnum cals. Nice build quality-typical Sako and I'd rate that stock over the Sako 85's one any day.
    Last edited by FRST; 26-06-2016 at 01:31 AM.
    hotsoup likes this.