Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dannyb

Thread: Video of internal barrel temps for carbon vs steel barrel

Video of internal barrel temps for carbon vs steel barrel

Very interesting
    #DANNYCENT

While he acknowledges the different ambient starting temperatures. He doesn't account for the difference in cooling rate when ambient is higher.
    This factor negates any of his direct comparisons between the barrels. Which is his only method of comparison.

Confirms what you’d guess based on first principles. CF heats up more & stays hot longer

Ummmm....interesting artical

Surprises me not, it does.

The heavier all steel barrel and chamber would have had more thermal inertia (heat capacity) and so the increase in temperature was less at 2 minutes, when the probe had stabilised. It's like recoil - a heavier rifle has more inertia and acquires less recoil velocity from firing the same cartridge and bullet.

The very slightly slower cooling in the carbon wrapped barrel is what you's expect too, unless you believe that the fibre conducts heat faster in one direction than others and that it would be outwards (proposed by some CF barrel makers).

What did surprise me was how little the barrel (throat and chamber) was warmed up. 34 degrees Farenheit above ambient must have very little effect in damaging a throat. More like 1000 degrees (C or F) for 1/1000 sec is what I think could melt or oxidise steel. A measurement say 10 seconds after firing a shot would more accurately reflect actual throat conditions in real rapid fire. Hatcher, in his Notebook, described shooting 3006 machine guns till the barrel glowed cherry red - that's what people are taking about when they say "fast strings". I once did a jungle lane shoot where I fired 30 shots with the 303 over about 10 minutes and the barrel was so hot it burnt my back when I slung it over my shoulder and it left a scar (but it wasn't glowing red). However, this U tube experiment did show that 1 or 2 minutes between Creedmore shots allows the barrel to return to a barely warm to touch temperature and would be unlikely to cause any damage. It would be interesting to repeat the experiment with a 26 Nosler and a 6.5 Grendel.

Be interesting to see the same test with fluted vs non fluted (same profile)
    57jl likes this.
    #DANNYCENT