Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CooeeBay
  • 1 Post By bumblefoot
  • 1 Post By 55six

Thread: Vortex price increase

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar

Vortex price increase

Some retailers have now increased Vortex high end scope prices by as much as 50%, going from 1650 to 2500 (Razor LHT 3-15x42). Maybe the NZ dealers have no choice because their prices are set by Vortex USA, so I am reluctant to blame them.

All high end Vortex are made in Japan (sans AMG line). Japan has not experienced high inflation at about 2~3%. NZD is actually going up against JPY slightly. It is just that USD has gone up crazy against all other currencies. But non-AMG vortex are not made in the USA.

Basically, Japanese OEM is unlikely to have (significantly) increased their prices. Vortex USA buys scopes from OEM and sells to NZ, they did not have to increase their export prices.

Good thing we have decent competition for scopes. Vortex was always a weaker compared brand than Zeiss, Leupold, Swaro, Khales and Nightforce. It lived on perceived better value for money. Vortex's increase in price just made its competition look more appealing.

Leupold prices just gone up on the 1st November

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Some retailers have now increased Vortex high end scope prices by as much as 50%, going from 1650 to 2500 (Razor LHT 3-15x42). Maybe the NZ dealers have no choice because their prices are set by Vortex USA, so I am reluctant to blame them.

All high end Vortex are made in Japan (sans AMG line). Japan has not experienced high inflation at about 2~3%. NZD is actually going up against JPY slightly. It is just that USD has gone up crazy against all other currencies. But non-AMG vortex are not made in the USA.

Basically, Japanese OEM is unlikely to have (significantly) increased their prices. Vortex USA buys scopes from OEM and sells to NZ, they did not have to increase their export prices.

Good thing we have decent competition for scopes. Vortex was always a weaker compared brand than Zeiss, Leupold, Swaro, Khales and Nightforce. It lived on perceived better value for money. Vortex's increase in price just made its competition look more appealing.
    "Maybe the NZ dealers have no choice because their prices are set by Vortex USA, so I am reluctant to blame them." - Where did you get your information from?
    Stocky likes this.

I said maybe.You could tell us how it really is, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    Leupold prices just gone up on the 1st November
    They've gone up over the last year too haven't they? I could be wrong but wasn't a standard 3-9x Freedom about $499 a year or so ago? $699 now
    bigbear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    I said maybe.You could tell us how it really is, though.
    Extravision Au & NZ are the agent representing Vortex USA and handle the importation, warehousing, distribution and warranty/repairs to the retail trade from their Auckland warehouse. Pricing and Trading Terms are set by them, all subject to Vortex USA cost increases, import shipping, exchange rates and NZ distribution costs.

or another way to look at it is that our Queen's vouchers are kind of worthless to them now, so they demand more of them for the same product...

I have two of their products and can't complain, good product and wow good after sales service

Quote Originally Posted by CooeeBay View Post
    Extravision Au & NZ are the agent representing Vortex USA and handle the importation, warehousing, distribution and warranty/repairs to the retail trade from their Auckland warehouse. Pricing and Trading Terms are set by them, all subject to Vortex USA cost increases, import shipping, exchange rates and NZ distribution costs.
    Thanks for sharing.

My guess is that what Extravision Au & NZ pays it is Vortex USA is increasing with USD claiming, Extravision Au & NZ then increase prices they charge to NZ retailers. My original point applies. NZD/AUD vs JPY is actually going in our favour. Vortex USA is potentially paying less effectively to buy from Japan OEM.

All Leupolds are still made in the USA so that si a bit different.

That was great booth Vortex had at this years Sika show. Right up there with NIOA the Remington and Savage agents.
    bigbear likes this.

It was a piss off Vortex weren't at the show they were on the exhibitors list