Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Sh00ter

Thread: VTP Modular Chassis System

VTP Modular Chassis System

A while back I picked up a Victory Through Precision Modular Chassis System for my Ruger American Ranch rifle. I really like this rifle and wanted to upgrade it.

I was looking to swap out the factory stock to add a collapsing stock for storage/ transport, make mag changes easier and be able to add a light. Basically add capability without adding weight. Stock options for this rifle are pretty limited especially with that goal. Enter the VTP Modular Chassis System, these have been out awhile and are now available for the Ruger.

https://www.vtp.co.nz/shop/modular-c...sort_order=asc

The system comes in parts starting with a core that you then bolt parts to as you need them, there are a bunch of different options. For the Ruger you need to remove the magazine well and add it to the core. You then add the pistol grip, stock and forend that best suit your needs.

The rifle dropped in easy enough but the core required a little bit of work with a chisel for the safety catch to work. The factory stock has an aluminum bedding block while the MCS is all plastic with metal for the screws to screw in to. I had a few reservations about this but it turned out well (at least so far). I then added the extra long octagonal forend and the 6 position buffer tube stock.

I wasn't sure which forend would work best so I got the longest then I could cut it down. As it turned out the forend was too long with the suppressor attached so I cut it down one MLOK slot with a hand saw, the plastic was no match for the saw and it took about three minutes.

The buffer tube stock worked well enough but with the stock collapsed it was only a half inch shorter than the factory stock so I had to replace it with the short version. With the stock collapsed it's now 55mm shorter than the factory stock and easily fits in the safe with the suppressor loosened few turns.

The chassis with long buffer tube, magpul stock, pistol grip and cut down forend weighed 50 grams more than the factory stock, just a guess but with the short buffer tube I think it will weigh the same.

I then added a forward sling swivel (for a bipod) and a section of MDT rail to mount a light and a QD sling swivel. There's another QD mount on the magpul stock so I can now use the same sling on several rifles.

The next step was to check zero and have a go at some goats. I fired a three round group at 50m and it was bang on. I gotta admit I was expecting to have to rezero and was a little surprised it held zero so well. Later I got a first round hit on a goat lying down at 270m. It's too early to tell how accuracy will stand up after long term use but right now I don't have any reservations.

With the stock being in three parts, unsurprisingly there's a lot of flex in it. It's a little off putting but works well enough. I covered 6.5 km on foot with the rifle slung over my back for most of it, the sling swivels supported the weight of the rifle with no problems and the stock showed no issues with the weight either. I took some
    shots with the rifle resting on a rock as you might expect there was a little scuffing but the plastic was fine.

Over a few hours I dropped 10 goats, plus four probables, at ranges from 20- 270m and covered 6.5 KM. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. Mag changes are a bit easier, I can mount a light and use the same sling on several rifles as well as make it shorter for storage and transport. The MCS is very reasonably priced and can be set up a bunch of different ways. I was impressed with the functionality and how well it held zero and only have a few changes to suggest. It would be great if there was a rest for your thumb next to the bolt handle to make cycling a bit easier. Also I think the forend and core could fit together a bit better to help reduce some of the flex.

I would happily recommend this stock but it's important you understand what you are getting. 3D printing is in its early stages, the stock will stand up to normal use but if you are particularly hard on your gear I dont think it would be too hard to break it, after all it's just plastic (I know some folks take pride in being able to break a bowling ball). The good news is it's pretty easy to swap out the part you need. Overall it's a great bit of gear and very reasonably priced. I am excited to see what can be done with 3D printing in the future not just with firearms but other things as well.

Name:  vtp,.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  914.8 KB

Name:  vtp stock.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  1.18 MB

Name:  vtp weight.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  92.3 KB
    The VTP parts weigh less than 1/2 a kilo. Aiden sent me a picture after I thought he had mistyped the weight.
    jakewire, Freezer, nigelp and 2 others like this.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

Good honest review.

I look forward to the day someone finally manages to work out how to make one of these out of lightweight aluminium alloy at a similar price point.
    Just...say...the...word