Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Wanting a lighter rifle

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    www.lesmills.co.nz

Just do some strength training.
    Better off training at a strength facility: Les Mills gyms are for posers and pussies.

HB.
    Nz varminter, any pics? What does it come in at? Thinking I will keep the sako and throw a bit of coin at it. Next question is who to get to do the work? I've messaged dan hardy and he's about 3.5k for barrel and stock, 5.5k for tricked up tikka. Messaged Greg duley through his editorial email. On the right track with these guys?

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by HB. View Post
    Nz varminter, any pics? What does it come in at? Thinking I will keep the sako and throw a bit of coin at it. Next question is who to get to do the work? I've messaged dan hardy and he's about 3.5k for barrel and stock, 5.5k for tricked up tikka. Messaged Greg duley through his editorial email. On the right track with these guys?
    Personally I think you're totally on the wrong track with all of that.

Keep the 75 as is, and buy something else lighter.

One of my rifles is a old m595 tikka, very similar to your 75 but a short action. It's an awesome rifle, but was heavy. I've fitted a McM CF stock which reduced weight a reasonable amount but it's still my heaviest rifle.

A Forbes or Montana in 308 would be very hard to go past.
    outdoorlad, 199p, mikee and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Personally I think you're totally on the wrong track with all of that.

Keep the 75 as is, and buy something else lighter.

One of my rifles is a old m595 tikka, very similar to your 75 but a short action. It's an awesome rifle, but was heavy. I've fitted a McM CF stock which reduced weight a reasonable amount but it's still my heaviest rifle.

A Forbes or Montana in 308 would be very hard to go past.
    +1 you will never get the Sako that light as the actions and bottom metal aren't that light, $3500 for stock and barrel is pretty pricey from hardys..

You're completely going about this wrong. A tikka by itself will work well as a light workhorse. Absolutely shoot everything to long past 300m and cost you $1200. The prices you are talking are nuts.

If you must spend money then do what most here have done and just buy a finnlight. At least if you don't like it resale will be good. Your 4000 custom will be worth less than $1000 second hand
    GWH, mikee, BRADS and 2 others like this.

HB.
    Can't get a finnlight in left hand but can the carbonlight. If anyone's got a 4K build selling for $1000 let me know please! Appreciating the feedback fellas!
    Danny likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Better off training at a strength facility: Les Mills gyms are for posers and pussies.
    I only go to sit in the cafe and perve at the women.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    You're completely going about this wrong. A tikka by itself will work well as a light workhorse. Absolutely shoot everything to long past 300m and cost you $1200. The prices you are talking are nuts.

If you must spend money then do what most here have done and just buy a finnlight. At least if you don't like it resale will be good. Your 4000 custom will be worth less than $1000 second hand
    And a standard t3 will likey shoot better than the 4k custom...

get a Tikka, keep the 75. Then you can have a light rifle in a nice calibre for general hunting and still have a 30-06 all loaded up for samber!

I've done the whole light rifle gig and Got the t-shirt.
    Imo a tikka is about right weight wise with a decent scope on top (400gms) @Freezer is absolutely correct in terms of the most efficient way about getting a light rifle but its your money to spend!