Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Z5/VX5 etc

Z5/VX5 etc

I know this has been done to death on the forum over the past few years.
    Just after some opinions on a good option around $2k for a scope for a 7mm rem mag.

Have been looking at the Swaro Z5 2.5-18x44, the VX5HD 3-15x44 Firedot, and perhaps a Zeiss in a similar magnification range.
    To best honest, probably the main thing I am after is low light performance, clarity, and to a lesser extent dialability. I know about the Z5's limitation on dialling - is this a real world issue?

Cheers

The Swaro for clarity and low light performance, the VX5HD has good features.
    chainsaw, Moa Hunter and Sonicjoe like this.

Glass is mint on both mate. Both have the resolution to be able to wind the mag dial back a bit on dusk and gain a bit of extra light. I think the swaro has a slight edge in colour but they were both bloody close to my eye.

Turret system on the loopy is far better. Get 2 turns out of it vs the 1 for the swaro. No issue at typical hunting ranges but if you want to go long or shoot some steel etc the loopy is a better option.

Better warranty on the loop as well

Can't really go wrong as both are bloody good scopes. I own a vx5 but would still be happy as with the swaro

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Sonicjoe likes this.

Swaro Z5 definitely has better optical performance to my eyes. Have both as well as VX6. Swaro has the edge. You can buy a 2turn turret for Z5 from a guy in Tauranga, either custom or moa for about $160 if I remember right. The Zeiss Z6 3-18 would also be definitely worth checking out. As others have stated turret system on VX5/6 are hard to fault, the other feature I love on the Leupy is the firedot reticle
    Shearer and Sonicjoe like this.

Photo of Z5 wearing the 2 turn turret attached
    Name:  C4450CAB-821F-4EF0-9311-1829AC7AEFFC.jpeg
Views: 589
Size:  1.49 MB
    winaa, Sonicjoe and Spitfire like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Photo of Z5 wearing the 2 turn turret attached
    Cheers - does that lose the zero stop function? What would be your pick between the two if you had to?

Z5/VX5 etc

With the amount of VX on rifles atm I am surprised about the comments above. I like the Leupold a lot but I like Swarovski better for me.
    Significantly smaller and usable and glass is also very good. I can’t distinguish what is the better glass myself but Swarovski and Zeiss I rate very highly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

I compared my z5 and vx6 both same mag range of 3-18 with roughly same objective lense size, and at last light, honestly i couldnt pick one over the other, both gathered light well upto dark and lost shooting light at same time with crosshairs on a red Jersey heifer.

Z5 for weight saving, vx5hd/vx6hd for features. Depends what else your after imo
    Danny and Sonicjoe like this.

I just sold my z5 to go back to a vx5, some may disagree but in my eyes it's an upgrade. 2 turn turret and zero lock do it for me. If you want more than one rev on the z5 you have to ditch the zero stop, I had a moa turret on mine. Optically they are both extremely clear. Swaro beats leupold on weight. I find the vx5 extremely hard to beat as far as an all round scope.

Bos
    You're right, this has been done to death but because Im bored I'll repeat what I said last time.
    Ive had both, along with Zeiss, Pecar, and Kahles. Last year I sold the Zeiss and bought a VX6 in 3-18 with the firedot, which was around $2800 if I remember rightly. As far as I can see, there is no appreciable difference in top quality glass; individual choice and price will often be the deciding factor because unless you compare all of the top end scopes alongside each other at the same time, you'll never really know.
    The latest VX6 I've got is an awesome piece of kit and performs as well as any in low light. Add in the firedot during low light and like me, you'lll see its not just a gimmick (likeI thought), but bloody handy.

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    i had both and rate the leupolds above the swaro, Glass was very good on both. The features of the leupold (to me) make it a far better scope. Alumina caps, the zero stop dial system, and firedot reticle
    I ended up selling the swaros and replacing with VX5s.
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

I also sold both my z5 and went to VX5 and I won't be going back.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    mikee, superdiver and Sonicjoe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonicjoe View Post
    Cheers - does that lose the zero stop function? What would be your pick between the two if you had to?
    yes, you lose the zero stop, but means sfa cos you set up the scope on 20moa rail or inserts on Zee rings then at 200 yrd zero you're only about half a turn away from bottoming out anyways. So you cant turn down a full rev below your zero.
    6x47 and Sonicjoe like this.

I have the VX5 firedot. Love the scope. How does the price of one of these ($1800ish) compare to the Z5 illuminated?
    Sonicjoe likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

I have and currently use both the Z5 and the VX5. I love them both for different reasons. I find my Z5 just starts to struggle when up at 17 - x18 magnification. I don’t know many who like the factory dial that comes on the Z5 so maybe budget another $100 for a new MOA dial. I probably ever so slightly prefer looking through the Z5 but I really couldn’t say as there is nothing in it. If I was told to choose only one I would probably lean to the VX5. I prefer the way it functions. It feels better mechanically it that makes sense. But I love them both!
    Sonicjoe likes this.