Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: A Clear Test

A Clear Test

A week of suffering and scoffing anti-virals. 3kg lighter. Ive avoided it up to now so have done ok. 5 days after the clear test its time to test the body. Something easy - still coughing and not feeling all that strong. A quiet hunt using the quad and a relaxing night at the hut will be just the ticket. Yeah, right.

2.5 hrs driving wore me down a bit more but my energy and enthusiasm increased once I had sorted my gear and set off.

4.14 pm and I was a bit early but no matter, I still carefully approached the first likely spot and glassed around. Not careful enough though because a few Fallow dashed across a little clearing and into the gloom of the scrub. One though dallied too long and I was already laying down and ready for the shot. The pop of the 52 Targex at 200 yards signalled a hit and it tumbled out onto the clearing. My first health check coming up, 'cos I had to cross a steep little gully and then climb a face to get to it. I was surprised how good I felt although the up hill made me puff a bit. Those tramping sticks are a great aid.

I sidled around high and eventually found the little clearing.

Name:  IMG_9104.jpeg
Views: 1063
Size:  6.12 MB

Deaded

Name:  IMG_9106.jpeg
Views: 1058
Size:  7.36 MB

I boned it out and stuffed it into my pack. The whole thing took about 40 minutes and I got back to the bike feeling ok and encouraged by how I felt.

Of course I should have stopped at that and headed for the hut. I had a deer. But I have no self discipline and the little voice in my head encouraged me on "You might as well try to get another one for the soup kitchen. One wont feed many people". So I headed for the next spot.

7pm and I had been scanning and moving for about an hour or so and finally I spotted a couple of Reds. 2 hinds. The front one older and maybe had a fawn but the back one younger and looking like a 2 year old. I was all set up and the range was exactly 200 hundred yards. Head shot coming up. Too easy. She lifted her head from feeding and I took my chance. Maybe I pulled the trigger rather than squeezed it but in any event she scarpered and I just lay there thanking the gods that no one had witnessed it. Chasened, I moved off to another spot and sulked.

She's in this pic on the grass behind a bit of scrub.

Name:  IMG_9115.jpeg
Views: 985
Size:  1.96 MB

Right on dark I was back where I had had the miss. It's a good spot and sure enough up in the scrub I could see a couple of reds moving about. One was a spiker and he finally stepped into view. I was ready to redeem myself, but not with a head shot. He was 280 yards and I had dialled in 1.5moa for 275. Deep breath, exhale, firm on the neat little Backlanz bipod and exhale. Cross hair on the front of his shoulder to allow for a bit of wind. "Pop" again and the stag bolted. Three others chased after him. I was confident. I marked the spot on my brain and walked back and got the quad. I was expecting a bit of a circus finding him in the thick scrub but when I hopped off the quad and stepped into the scrub there he was right there. He had bolted maybe 20 yards down hill and collapsed in a perfect spot. I decided to take him out whole.

Name:  IMG_9117.jpeg
Views: 1033
Size:  5.98 MB

Name:  IMG_9121.jpeg
Views: 997
Size:  2.91 MB

It was dark now. But that little voice kicked in again "Come on, get another one for the soup kitchen". So for the ride back I slipped the wallaby thermal clip-on onto the end of my scope which just "happened" to be in my pack.

I hopped off the quad as I approached likely spots and walked ahead using my red head lamp. There seemed to be a few around. I crested a rise and there were 2. The closest at about 100 yards. "Pop" again and I saw it tumble down hill with the hot blood signature clearly visible spurting through the night air.
    Re-laod, scan, and there was the other one. Bigger and looked like a stag. Redemption time 'cos all I could see was its head and neck. "Pop" and flop.

Number 1 (actually number 3). A pretty scrawny looking spiker. There are far too many deer in this area. The farmer calls them "vermin".

Name:  IMG_9123.jpeg
Views: 1009
Size:  3.64 MB

Number 2 (actually number 4). She was a very big dry hind. She had a very sore neck.

Name:  IMG_9125.jpeg
Views: 950
Size:  4.03 MB

Ouch, I was accumulating quite a load and it was getting towards 11pm. I was starting to flag what with the finding, gutting and dragging in the dark. "Go to the hut" the little voice finally said. I capitulated and agreed. But one last look around...

Immediately there's 4 up the hill on the edge of the scrub. 3 stepped into the scrub. One lingered...

5 should do it Nice lung shot.

Name:  IMG_9129.jpeg
Views: 925
Size:  5.10 MB

It took me about 45 minutes; gutting, organising, tightening strops and cinching ropes. Finally my load was ready for the cautious ride back to the truck. I was failing fast. It was nearly midnight.

Name:  IMG_9134.jpeg
Views: 894
Size:  2.64 MB

The load was large and unstable. The rear load was balanced by my full pack and a couple of legs on the front. I cautiously navigated the tracks back to the truck and unloaded.

Name:  IMG_9135.jpeg
Views: 867
Size:  2.04 MB

I had shot 5 deer for 6 shots. Ranges between 280 and 100 yards. The .223 can dish it out if you are careful.

I staggered into the hut pretty damned spent. Luckily my wife had slipped me a couple of hard boiled eggs when I had left home. They were dinner at 1.15am. I slept like a top through to 6am. It's amazing what 5 hours sleep can do. I packed up and was on the road for home by 9am and bundling the deer into Brian's chiller by noon. They can be cleaned up for the butcher tomorrow and then on to the soup kitchen (minus the 10 back steaks of course )
    Last edited by Tahr; 16-12-2023 at 04:08 PM.
    Norway, Nathan F, 7mmsaum and 54 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Mate......thats a mission and a half when your 100% let alone still suffereing from the dreaded chinaflue.
    you take it a bit easier,Im hearing the folks who have long term struggles shaking it are folks who push too hard too soon.
    good to read your managing the thermal well...soon will be able to hunt all night and sleep all day LOL.
    Tahr, Trout, Rich007 and 3 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Its tough to keep a good man down

Have a rest mate you deserve it !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Tahr and Shearer like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Legendary stuff Tahr
    Tahr likes this.

What a story - and such a harvest! Puts me to shame, less than half your age and struggling to get the odd deer haha! Good set up with the quad. Always enjoy reading your exploits Tahr, as Mickeyduck said, do take it easy as needed in your recovery. Enough people have had experiences of longer term effects to try to do what you can to avoid it.
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Nice haul. I imagine it will be well received by the soup kitchen. Lots of meals there. We'll done.
    Tahr and woods223 like this.

223 Judge Dread
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    It is good that you do Tahr. You should pace yourself coming off the dreaded lurgy though.
    Tahr, Micky Duck and woods223 like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Driving around latish at night with 5 deer on a quad on moist hilly tracks hmm.Might pay to buy some sort of bump hat helmet,sounds silly i know but 100s of quad bikes fall off the hills every year in the day time let alone at night loaded up.Any how,well done with the deers and rest up a bit.
    Tahr, nor-west, 57jl and 4 others like this.

top of the south
    Don't worry to much Bruce if you get long covid I'll try your new scope out on the wallaby for you
    Tahr, nor-west, Trout and 3 others like this.

What! You missed one!
    Awesome effort. You put to shame people half your age.
    Tahr, stingray, Pengy and 3 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Yea your definitely in a league of your own you mad bastard.

Well done on the 223. Still my favourite calibre.
    Tahr, nor-west and Trout like this.

Bejassus man - I just hope you have a succession plan, otherwise half of Wellington is going to starve if you give up!
    Tahr, Micky Duck and charliehorse like this.

@Tahr. I admire what you do, providing meat to your local soup kitchen. I used to do the same here but got disillusioned when I went along one night, after being invited to, and seeing a number of people there that had no need to be. What was worse was that it wasn't their first time there. Fuck that! I'm not feeding rich cunts that don't need it. I find far more satisfaction supplying meat to the local food bank where I know that it's going to those in need or to local RSE workers that really appreciate the protein, makes a change from a diet of bread,rice and fucking chicken pieces. Anyhow, keep up the good work, I hope I can be doing the same thing at your age. Hope you recover from the covid, haven't had it yet, don't want it, the second jab fucked me up enough.
    Tahr, Trout, Pengy and 3 others like this.

killer
    Tahr and Trout like this.