Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree91Likes
  • 57 Post By stug
  • 4 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By Cowboy
  • 6 Post By Tahr
  • 9 Post By Tahr
  • 11 Post By Andrew46826
  • 2 Post By ANTSMAN
  • 1 Post By Dundee

Thread: Forum good buggers

Forum good buggers

I had come up to Masterton to see my parents and had to stay longer than I expected. For a break I reached out to @Tahr to see if I could tag along on one of his hunts. He was going to be hunting later in the wee, so a plan was reached.
    I hadn’t bought any hunting gear with me so I borrowed some of Dads gear and Tahr was kind enough to lend me some necessary equipment as well.
    We left Masterton at 5pm and about an hour later arrived at the station. On the drive in Tahr was pointing out where deer were commonly seen. Brian headed off in one direction and I tagged along with Tahr. He had a spot in mind that would give a good view of the most likely areas. After a while Tahr moved around the corner while I stayed where I was. Not long later Tahr called up on the radio telling me he could see a few deer.
    I moved over to Tahr and he pointed out the spiker and hind. The spiker had good long spikes but was very skinny, surprising because there was a good amount of grass around. The deer were on the neighbouring property so we just watched them. More deer, mainly hinds, popped up over the next hour or so. Only one had a fawn with it.
    About 8pm Tahr headed off to a more distant ridge, but told me to keep an eye on the gullies below us.
    About 5 min after Tahr left I looked down into the gully and saw a hind grazing on the bush edge. Before I could get properly set up she went back into the bush. Five min later another hind appeared in about the same spot. She keep feeding straight towards me so I had no shot. Eventually she went out of sight behind a spur. I moved closer dropping into a small gully and slid over the ridge keeping low. Two hinds were feeding on the bush edge about 100yd away. I needed to move about 1.5 m to get a stable shot but one of the hinds saw me and headed back into the bush. The second hind stopped partially behind a Manuka, but I could see enough of the shoulder to take the shot. I heard the impact and she ran off into the bush. At the shot another hind appeared below me so I shot her as well.
    I headed around to Tahr to tell him what I’d shot as my radio had gone flat. Once I met up with Tahr I headed down to find the hinds while Tahr kept looking for deer.
    Name:  IMG_4460.jpeg
Views: 750
Size:  4.69 MB
    Name:  IMG_4462.jpeg
Views: 744
Size:  4.30 MB
    The hinds were reasonably easy to find, only getting 10-20 m into the bush. I gutted them and dragged them out of the bush to be cut up. Tahr came down and started boning out one of the hinds while I prepared the other hind to be carried out. But trying to lift her up I realised that poor fitting boots, breaking my leg a year ago and steep hills meant I should bone her out as well.
    Name:  imagejpeg_3.jpeg
Views: 714
Size:  115.5 KB
    Name:  imagejpeg_5.jpeg
Views: 709
Size:  76.4 KB
    That didn’t take too long, then it was a torch lit walk back to the track while Brian bought the Ute down to pick us up.
    Nathan F, 7mmsaum, Tahr and 54 others like this.

Forgot to say that both hinds were dry, Tahr said they were the 4th and 5th dry hinds shot this summer.
    Tahr, Micky Duck, dannyb and 1 others like this.

A good bugger alright
    stug likes this.

My Pleasure.
    That was my S&L 6.5x55 Stug used.
    Good shooting because the shots were very close together and both shoulder shots right on the button.
    Gibo, Woody, Micky Duck and 3 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

While Stug was pulling his 2 deer out of the trees I was looking down on this hind. I went as far as to load my rifle before common sense prevailed. 2 was plenty considering the climb we had out of there.

Name:  IMG_9398 2.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  213.2 KB
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

There are still good buggers in this world..happy days

I can confirm Tahr is a ‘good bugger’. He arranged a ‘not another forum hunt’ about 16 years ago on the old forum where I shot my first deer. Then some years later he showed me how to reload my own ammo. I still shoot deer and I still reload without blowing myself up so he must have done a good job teaching.
    7mmsaum, Tahr, nor-west and 8 others like this.

excelente'
    Tahr and Average-Lad like this.

Top work fellas!
    Tahr likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive