Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Old Farts Sleep Over

Old Farts Sleep Over

Rather than stay at a hut Brian and I decided to sleep amongst them to try for a decent head. So Brian went one way and I went another with our packs a bit heavier than usual 'cos we had our PJ's, life giving meds and vital age related stuff on board. Our intention was to look for a head and to not shoot for meat (yeah, right). Even though I needed meat for a bbq for the disabled and a soup kitchen.

Bella and I found a nice spot in the tawhine so we got our camp ready for when we returned in the dark. Camp was 20 mins walk to where I wanted to start hunting. I was going up to a high point at the head of a big valley full of scattered and heavy scrub and tawhine. Probably about 400 acres. I could work my way down off the high point onto the ridge looking down and across as the evening progressed.

Name:  IMG_9708.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  232.0 KB

I headed off at about 4pm but it wasn't until 6pm that deer started to move about. Hinds, heaps of them. By past shooting light I had seen about 25 hinds and only one stag. A spindly 7 pointer. Frustrating. I covered the full length of the valley (about 3 km) and back again.

My .223 has a day/night 'scope on it so when I got back towards the top I put it onto night mode and decided to shoot a hind for the charity (did I say I was frustrated?). In night mode you cn shoot for about an hour or so after last shooting light without having to turn the IR on. I had marked in my mind where a few hinds were in a gully when I could last see through the Bino's so snuck (stumbled) down to the head of it without using my torch and than scanned with the 'scope. Yup, there were 2 about 230 yards away - exactly 230 actually, 'cos the 'scope has a range finder and ballistics too. Real modern shit for an old man. Bella is wonderful and just potters with me keeping out of the way but as I lined up she decided she needed to have a closer look at what I was doing and decided to lick my face. Me pushing her out of the way and re-setting myself alerted the deer but it was too late for them. I flipped a hind over with a chest shot. The 74grn Targex dropped her on the spot.

https://youtu.be/QZrUZlxKR1c

I could now get my torch out and have a look around and figure out the best route for the "recovery". In the old days we just used to "go and get them" but nowadays its a "recovery". It took about 30 minutes to get around and down to where I thought it was but I couldn't pick it up in my good torch, so I had to turn to Bella the pup. Without a line on her I let her go and she disappeared into the scrub. I wasn't sure where she went so I backed up the hill and shone the torch around and soon picked her up standing over the hind up a sharp little gully about 150 yards away. Good girl Bella!

Name:  IMG_9714 2.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  140.7 KB

I started working my way around to where I saw her but got a bit bamboozled down in the gutter and had to send her off again (by then she had come back to me). She trotted along and led me to it.

Name:  IMG_9715 2.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  139.8 KB

I boned the legs out and let them cool while I took the back straps out, chucking Bella tit-bits as I did. Then it all went into my pack and I started the trudge back to camp.

Name:  IMG_9728 2.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  154.2 KB

An hour or so saw me back at camp. I had coffee from a thermos and a cold petrol station pie (true). Bella had yummy K9 dog food and water. My therma rest thing went down during the night and Bella growled at shadows so I didn't sleep much.

Bella guarding me from tawhine shadows and the bright twinkly things in the sky. Grrrr....
    Name:  IMG_9732.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  120.8 KB

We were up at sparrow fart and after an Up and Go drink for me and some K9 for her we were off in the dark. Same place but the reverse direction because of the wind. Long story short - more hinds. 15 odd of them and one spindly stag. They all started moving back to the cover quite early and I was a bit frustrated, so you know ... the meat instinct kicked in. In the head of a little gully I was skirting a big hind trotted out by her self and stopped at 140 yards. Why not...I shot from a sitting position...bang. I hit her a little high in the shoulder and although she dropped I gave her another one in the neck.

The 'scope was still on night mode from the last evening so even although it was about 8am the vid came out in B&W instead of colour.

https://youtu.be/51bfiN7yWIM

While all of this was going on another 2 hinds ran out and stopped on a rocky slip about 240 yards away. I was standing so quickly wound the scope back down to 5 power and dropped one. I honestly can't remember where I aimed for but she dropped with a neck shot. I forgot to turn the vid on.

No trouble finding the first one and as we got close the hind made a funny sort of loud death gurgle. Bella got the fright of her life and shot back up the slope with her hackles all standing. It took a bit of encouragement to get her to come down to me and the deer. Once she had a sniff of it she was as good as gold. Another learning experience for her.

Name:  IMG_9743.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  226.7 KB

I dealt to her and carted the legs whole and back steaks back up to the ridge and then followed the ridge to drop down to the second one. Bella showed me where to drop down and then went down to it. I repeated the same performance as on the previous one and then got the legs etc to a spot where Brian could collect them on the quad when he came to collect me later. This all took 2 hours.

The second one.

Name:  IMG_9751.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  237.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9753.jpg
Size:  236.1 KB

Name:  IMG_9754 2.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  214.9 KB

The trudge back to the camp wasn't difficult because I had no meat to carry but I was feeling a bit weary. By 11am I was packed up and carted my pack to a where I had arranged to meet Brian. He trundled up about 45minutes later. He had seen a lot of deer too but no decent heads. he saw more stags than me though. Brian had shot a young hind for meat.

Name:  IMG_9756.jpg
Size:  107.9 KB

We got back to my truck parked down in a creek about an hour later and were back at Brian's 2.5 hours after that. All the meat went into Brian's chiller and I was off home. It was bed at 8.30pm and apart from getting up for a pee several times (it's an age thing) I slept like a log through to 8.30am. My wife said I snored like a drain.
    Last edited by Tahr; 19-03-2024 at 03:39 PM.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Nice. I wonder what a Stag would make og a snoring old fart wrapped up in a bivvy bag if he stumbled over one in the dark (asking cause a cow walked right through my tent one night but that was pre snoring days)? Great yarn.

Mate I laughed like heck reading that.that wee bitch is going great.
    Tahr likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Nothing wrong with a cold pie either
    Tahr likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Caretaker
    Healthy looking animals
    Tahr likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Awesome work!! and a great yarn to boot!
    Tahr likes this.

Good write up, loved it.
    Tahr likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

That was a classic, it’s very hard to put aside your meat collecting but great for the people you provide it for. Strange there weren’t a few more stags about, should be starting to happen soon. Great story.
    Tahr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    That was a classic, it’s very hard to put aside your meat collecting but great for the people you provide it for. Strange there weren’t a few more stags about, should be starting to happen soon. Great story.
    Cheers. It was the place we took Rod to. He got a nice head.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Good write up Tahr,nothing like a cold pie and black cupa tea.
    Tahr likes this.

Love Bella
    Tahr likes this.

Nice write up, it’s probably the hardest time of year to hunt stags just before the roar. Give it a week!
    Tahr likes this.

Good write up, I can sympathize with the feeling of a deflating pad and the mental struggle to stay in the bag vs get up and fix the problem...
    Tahr likes this.

What an awesome write up your young girl is really coming along.
    You must be proud of her.
    A great mate.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Tahr likes this.

Enjoy tour yarns, they always light a wee fire under my ass to get me more motivated to go for a wonder.
    Tahr likes this.
    hunty
    6.5x55AI