Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 4WD / Family Car

Skoda Superb Wagon.
    Skoda Superb V6 4X4 Wagon 2011 | Trade Me
    I have one and love it.

I do agree about 2nd hand Toyota prices being a bit insane. Almost everyone I speak too though still recommends them, by citing good resale value and the old reliability.

The appealing thing is that you might spend 30k, use it for a few years and then still get 15-20k for it.

How much cheaper is a similar year model Santa Fe or Territory compared to paying 30k for a Prado?

As far as reliability goes just about everything else is just as reliable, if not better, as Toyota nowadays. If you are buying second hand then everything tends to hold it's value compared to what you paid unless you paid too much in the first place. Realistically I would not say than the Safari and Landcuiser are physically much, if anything, bigger than the likes of the next tare down utes and wagons but they are heavier and tend to have a bigger turning circle due to the front axle set up.

If I was in your position I'd look at changing both vehicles to suit your current and foreseeable future needs. Can be handy if they can both handle the family requirements when one is away for service.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Pathfinder, Territory or Outlander..
    Im in the same boat as you and as much as I want a dual cab Ute its just not practical with the wife, 2 kids (and one on the way) Plus spending 95% of its life driving on the road.

Yeah i'm not really a fan of Ute's luckily for me. Don't really like how they drive/feel even the nice ones we have at work. Not to mention so many of the ones for sale reek of dog something cronic even after being groomed.

If you are like 90% of the rest of us you will put it in 4WD about 2% of the time you have it.
    By a pretend 4wD or something similar and keep Mum happy.
    Then grab a trailer and a Quad for yourself.
    There is something in the make up of a wife that they just don't embrace the smell of dead deer and wet dog in the family car and I are not sure why ?
    That's my theory anyway .
    Pengy likes this.
    Love walking my gun

I am like 90% of the rest of you . Quad is an interesting idea....but still want a do-it-all and then the second car be the wee town one.

Which is why I don't need something crazily capable. I just need something with large boot space, preferably the option for 7 seats, and that is capable of 4WD.

Had a look at a couple of Toyota Vanguards (are they Kluger's?). They were ok except maybe want something slightly larger. Those 2 back seats are only gunna fit kids until they're about 7 or 8 by the looks of them, and when they're out you've got almost no boot space.

Everyone's thoughts on Nissan Patrol's? I've heard not much good for towing, but otherwise decent and tons of boot space.

What are Subaru's like? They mostly look pretty low, or are they AWD's and not 4WD's?

Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    Everyone's thoughts on Nissan Patrol's? I've heard not much good for towing, but otherwise decent and tons of boot space.
    Cough, cough, splutter. In the league you are looking at they will be great for towing and if you get service brakes can tow up to 4.5 tonne. The early ones with no hair drier are pretty sluggish but the others are all good.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Look for a GU model.

Nissan Safari 1999 | Trade Me

There is a nice one in Chch at the moment but it has a manual transmission.

Yep Patrols/Safaris are good trucks, just get the 4.2 not the 3.0. If a Patrol isn't good for towing then neither is a Landcruiser, they're pretty similar.

Subarus are really hard to beat as all-rounders, good 4wd systems just lacking the approach/departure angles for proper rough stuff. Outbacks and Foresters aren't bad for clearance at ~200mm though.

Ok here is my say on the matter. We are on a country block, 32h, with some nice hills, 70deg is the steepest, so 4wd is needed. We love camping and fishing and tow our caravan, and we also tow a duel axle 8x5 trailer, and no not at the same time
    I have been in the Auto industry for the past 20years or so and know that you cant go past Toyota for 4wds, A) they are built strong, B) they are reliable, C) they are never under horse powered, D) they have a good resale value.
    We went for the 2007 Hilux ute, manual, 5 seat, with a canopy, 3ltr Turbo Diesel. The turning circle is good for parking and doesn't drive like a tank, my mrs likes to drive it city or country roads, when in 4wd you do loose the tight turning circle.
    The spare parts are readily available and these are the same units as sold in the Australia.

I think it was the 3.0 Patrol that the guys over here were bagging for towing. I don't really plan to tow though, and if I do it'll just be a trailer filled with camping stuff so nothing heavy.

Thinking Patrol or Prado at the moment....need to look at some Subaru's. They got enough clearance for basic river crossings and paddocks, etc? Don't plan to be doing sand dunes or anything really rough. They seem to have good boot space with those station wagon type models.

Thoughts on petrol vs diesel when it'll mostly be used as a to and from work car? So basically a drive in the morning, home again in evening and then the odd couple hundred km trip on weekends. Not huge mileage.

The 3.0 engine in nicknamed "The Grenade" on the Patrol forums so I'd avoid them. The 4.2 diesel is reasonably fuel efficient considering it's size and I liked mine, a lot of people that borrowed it were staggered by how cheap it was to run. Indications I've seen suggest the petrol is thirsty. The 4.2's are a pretty bomb proof and reliable donkey.
    MattyP likes this.

The grenade, huh? Well i'll be staying away from that sucker then! Thanks for the heads up .

There are a couple about that should fit the bill. Just keep an eye out.

Nissan Patrol Ti T 2001 | Trade Me

Nissan Patrol Turbo 1999 | Trade Me

Nissan Safari 1999 | Trade Me