Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Anyone use a dive watch?

Anyone use a dive watch?

As per title. Missus seems to reckon a dive watch is going to be super useful. I run a 20m float line, typically dive down to 15m then proceed to miss the fish.

My mate said it's helpful to time the minute between dives.

any thoughts or suggestions on models? Probably wouldn't spend more than 500 bucks on a new one.

cheers

Solid strap and retainers for the strap-case junction are the main things I'd say to look at. I have always used Suunto products, but that's for no-deco and some deco air diving which is a slightly different fish product to freediving. I'd check out the screen readability and the nature of the watch's freediving mode before pushing the button on it. Also bear in mind, the pressure transducer in them has a finite life and after 6 or so years it is on a finite lifespan. Once the pressure transducer is done it won't function - so if you are considering a second hand product factor that into the price you are thinking about paying (a lot of second hand gear is well used but some is more like a shelf queen, and could be a really good option it's just that the pressure transducer is always live and being an electrical device has a finite life).

Actual model isn't that critical I'd suggest too?
    MB likes this.

MB
    If you're serious, then something electronic with a depth sensor. If you're thinking Rolex, save it for the flash Auckland bars.

If you're diving 15m regularly then yes, get a dive watch to time your surface intervals. Generally 1 minute is not going to be enough recovery time. I use a ratio 1:1 for shallow, easy drops then 2:1 for longer breath holds and 3:1 for long deep drops. Ratio is surface:bottom time. Eg 30 seconds down:30seconds up, 1:30 down:3:00 up, 2:00 down:6:00 up.
    You will get a good starter model for that budget from any of the dive shops. If you hang around on trademe for long enough then you might get a good deal on a better brand like suunto or garmin.

You will be surprised when yiu start using a watch. I'll almost guarantee that your 15m float line marker is more like 9-11m and your current surface intervals will be either half or double what you actually need.

I wouldn’t spearfish without one anymore, it is crazy how you underestimate your surface time especially when there is a big packy under a rock…

I use a Descent Mk2 super expensive but it is also my everyday watch and use it hunting, mountain biking and kiting.
    I had a D4 before they work well too.
    Lost n confused likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Garmin Fenix or other Garmin product has good diving apps. My last watch I got secondhand with an app. The chap I bought it from said he used this as a spearo. I'm assuming you're freediviving. If your diving on air it would be essential. Your nitrogen loading will be very surface time dependant.
    BRADS likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Ned
    I wouldn't rely on surface time as some sort of be all safety margin. So many variables would influence your recovery time. Tiredness, current, water temp, hydration etc. If anything could add in an element of risk if you became tempted to set personal records.
    Used to dive with one but once it broke never bothered replacing it.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Just get a Garmin Fenix

20 million of years evolving out of the water ...i'm not going back in

Dive watches are liars. They halve how deep you dive and how long you hold your breath haha.
    I have a suunto d4f which is what I woukd recommend

I run one of these. A lot smaller than the bigger Garmins and half the price. Means you can wear it as your daily wearer. Has all the features of a normal Garmin outdoorsy type watch, with GPS and all that jazz.
    Suunto D4 are good but the battery changes are a pain. Bit more than your price range but I really love mine.
    https://www.oceanhunter.co.nz/shop/b...SABEgJqJvD_BwE

Gkp
    Just be mindful of your dive intervals. 2-3x surface time vs bottom time.
    I don't think watches are necessary personally. Just listen to your heart beat

There are numerous watches with a freedive mode out there, and they all do a pretty decent job.
    I've gone through a few over the years (Suunto viper, Suunto Stinger, Suunto D4, and more recently a Garmin Descent). Other than the D4, these have all been the watches I wear daily, so was happy to spend a bit more.
    In the $500 and under, you are starting to limit your choices. Mate had a Salvimar One Plus, and it was perfect. Just over the $500 mark, the Suunto D4f is probably the best you will get for that money.
    Ocean hunter have both by the looks of it.

Do your homework if you're interested in Suunto products.

I have been told by a dive shop (Big Fish Pakuranga) that they have withdrawn from the NZ market and their products are not supported locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Do your homework if you're interested in Suunto products.

I have been told by a dive shop (Big Fish Pakuranga) that they have withdrawn from the NZ market and their products are not supported locally.
    Their products are supported by the retailer in NZ, not by the brand. So that should not put you off buying a Suunto.
    Consumer Guarantees Act is good like that. If the retailer does not want to support you after your purchase, it's their prerogative to not sell that brand to you.