Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By gadgetman
  • 2 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By deer243

Thread: Batteries for trail cam

Batteries for trail cam

I have started using a Little acorn game cam, but find it chews through Panasonic evolta alkalines in very short order.
    Tempted to go with Energiser lithiums, but it is quite an expensive exercise putting 8 at time in.
    Any recommendations for alternatives please.
    Rechargables are also a consideration , but I dont have experience of the more modern types. Any good ?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Ok. As you were. I just found this article which has pretty much nailed it for me

Batteries for Trail Cameras | Rechargeable and Lithium Battery – Trailcampro.com
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Not going to read the article.... Use dick Smith disposables that I stocked up on when they closed. wouldn't bother with lithiums, if you have a branch waving in the wind then they R guna run down quick and those lithiums are expensive

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Not going to read the article.... Use dick Smith disposables that I stocked up on when they closed. wouldn't bother with lithiums, if you have a branch waving in the wind then they R guna run down quick and those lithiums are expensive
    It is worth a read mate
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Another option is to hook up a gelcell or motor bike battery if you have a dc port on the camera.
    mikee and Pengy like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Nah, dis agree. Lithiums are the best by far, esp in winter and real cold condaitions. Pro long the life of a trail camera by double at least. If i dont use them (ie summer) use the next best, energzers and i will always get the life i want out of it before i pick it up. go cheap and had them die after 4 weeks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Another option is to hook up a gelcell or motor bike battery if you have a dc port on the camera.
    This is food for thought. I already have a 12v DM12 -7,2 that I use for led lights at home. Would this do the job @gadgetman ?
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    This is food for thought. I already have a 12v DM12 -7,2 that I use for led lights at home. Would this do the job @gadgetman ?
    Sure would. Double check the input voltage to the camera. Easy to knock up a cable and if you want can even hook on a little solar panel and regulator. I've done it for my one.
    Pengy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Depends how often you check camera as well, most of mine are out less than a week between checks
    Pengy and deer243 like this.

Depends how often you check camera as well, most of mine are out less than a week between checks
    Well you ok then, cheap be fine. if out 6-16 weeks use the best
    tetawa likes this.

I use 2x 18650's in an eBay battery holder in my Moultrie camera instead of the stupid C cells.
    Not sure if it'll blow up one day but I'm sure @gadgetman will advise against it if not a good idea.

Have only just recharged them after a few months

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    I use 2x 18650's in an eBay battery holder in my Moultrie camera instead of the stupid C cells.
    Not sure if it'll blow up one day but I'm sure @gadgetman will advise against it if not a good idea.

Have only just recharged them after a few months
    Depends on the power requirements of your device. Just remember each 18650 is 4.2 - 3.0V compared to a single C at 1.5V so match your numbers.