Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Goretex is a marketing gimmick

Goretex is a superb product, I have a 3layer ripstop Berghaus Goretex layer jacket that I've had over 20 years. Still waterproof and breathable, even with some seam tape pealing. Fortunately, I purchased mine form a very knowledgeable ex tank commander retailer in the UK. He gave customers a 'lecture' when they purchased items on how to wear and care, what was then, a very expensive product.

Now here is the problem with Goretex and similar garments. Firstly, as per the video, the water needs to be able to bead off the outer fabric layer. Manufacturers are partly guilty here by selling products with an outer membrane that isnt compatable with the Goretex technology. They sell garments with a matt surface and fabrics that are aesthetically sellable that 'wet-out' completely, thus rendering the PTFE membrane useless.

Users are also guilty of not maintaining a good quality the outer layer fabric by not washing correctly and not periodically reproofing with a Nikwax TX direct type water repellent type product.

Most importantly is how the Goretex garment is worn. It must be worn in such a way as to create a pressure differential between you and the outside, as stated in the video! Ive lost count of the times I've 'man-splained' to soaking wet trampers that they are wearing their Goretex wrong! They need to be tight around the bottom hem, tight around the cuffs, tight around the neck, tight around the zips. Sealed like a pickle in a jar! Now this is the problem, unless the rain is coming down like stair rods, then most people will wear Goretex more casually, and if the rain is hosing down to that extent, then people are probably taking shelter anyway. Again manufacturers are guilty of Goretex incompatible design. They are making jackets with pit-zips, loose non elasticated hems, vented yokes and loose cuffs. Non of these are going to hermetically seal the jacket down to create that differential.

Interesting video!

Quote Originally Posted by A330driver View Post
    Attachment 236842Attachment 236843

Would agree with all the previous comments… may I suggest this.:

Ridgeline Grunt Anorak….(I don’t work for Ridgeline)

I’ve used this out on the boat,Stalking…in the wind and rain….. albeit not totally waterproof,but close to it,this is I reckon is one of the best/better jobs I’ve worn…supplement this with waterproof leggings you can stay quite warm and dry
    the big dog and butchers coats are VERY VERY similar...agree they are great but I get too warm if walking far,actually makes me more tired than a lighter cooler coat...perfect for sitting n glassing of a really cold shitty day...and they were just made for carting out animals.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

if you are going to need to reapply coating to expensive goretex coat and wear it zipped up like a pickle jar...you may as well wear a big black rubbish bag under another layer of soft stuff or use the kero/silicon mix moa hunter suggested some time back and make the plurry fabric water proof completely. I did it to my british milair coat and results are awesome.....did a cotton jacket too..went from zero water proofing to rather good .
    RV1 likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters