Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Heads up for potential quilt buyers...

Heads up for potential quilt buyers...

HammockGear is offering an econ line at the moment which IMO represents the best value sleep system on the planet. A zero degree (f) standard length wide quilt in 800fp down weighs in under 800g. All this for $170us this is seriously good buying.

I have a burrow 20 (their more expensive offering) and it is an excellent quality product.

I think a 10 deg quilt is about the perfect bag for nz conditions and for $160us and at 750grams is cheap and comparatively light
    JasonW likes this.

Hi there.

Are you using these with a hammock or like a conventional sleeping bag on a sleeping mat ?

I use them on the ground man. Works sweet, Just get a wide if you intend to ground sleep

Ejected
    I spotted that. I brought a top quilt off massdrop a month ago and they just offered up a bottom quilt. The commends on massdrop referred to the new econ line. The prices are fairly similar, HG have a cheaper quilt but $60usd shipping. Massdrop have the more expensive quilt but $30 shipping. I think I am going to go for the HG one as I can order the long model and get the 10 degree one you mention.

Crucially the cheaper price puts these quilts under $400 so no gst.

Ejected
    Also I tried sleeping on the ground last weekend (sleeping bag as quite hasn't arrived yet and 3/4 length exped down mat). It was a lot better than without a down mat but nothing like the comfort of a hammock so screw that I am going to go back to the hammock.

If I get the bottom quilt and a cuban fiber tarp I should be able to bring the weight down and fit it all in my pack.

I like my quilt spend a weekend in a hut and a over nighter in a tent and woke up to frost.

Was a little too hot in mine.

Mines another brand tho enlightened equipment i think it was

I brought one off eBay to get it here quicker( some of the "cottage" companies have up to 10 week lead times). Went for the 10° F enlightened equipment Revelation,and are very happy with it. Paid approx $400 nzd shipped. Great value for the high quality down that is included- 850 Fill power with water repellant treatment. Weighs 700g.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    I spotted that. I brought a top quilt off massdrop a month ago and they just offered up a bottom quilt. The commends on massdrop referred to the new econ line. The prices are fairly similar, HG have a cheaper quilt but $60usd shipping. Massdrop have the more expensive quilt but $30 shipping. I think I am going to go for the HG one as I can order the long model and get the 10 degree one you mention.

Crucially the cheaper price puts these quilts under $400 so no gst.
    Yeah man, I bought mine a while ago and got stung, was like $500 in the end, but still for a -7 bag that weighs 500 gr its still awesome value

Quote Originally Posted by hunterw View Post
    I brought one off eBay to get it here quicker( some of the "cottage" companies have up to 10 week lead times). Went for the 10° F enlightened equipment Revelation,and are very happy with it. Paid approx $400 nzd shipped. Great value for the high quality down that is included- 850 Fill power with water repellant treatment. Weighs 700g.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
    Yeah 10 deg is pretty flexable, beauty of a quilt is if you are too hot just vent. I have a 20 and a 5 I picked up off trademe for a steal for winter stuff.
    Theres a zpacks quilt on tardme at the mo but dude want like 5-600 for it

Any experience with the synthetic quilts??

Prob head that way (need the $$ first), balances out the weight/ bulk but added gains in damp conditions

I'm happy finding a -5C bag for under 1 kg
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Quote Originally Posted by Kooza View Post
    Any experience with the synthetic quilts??

Prob head that way (need the $$ first), balances out the weight/ bulk but added gains in damp conditions

I'm happy finding a -5C bag for under 1 kg
    Nah man sorry. Think they are probably a bit less compressable (my 20 deg quilt packs down crazy small), but the upside as you say is the better insulation properties when damp. Cheaper too. I thought about making one for a bit of a diy project but shipping the insulation makes it not worthwhile $ wise

Cool
    Yeah it would be good to see a size comparison down v synthetic, prob be on YouTube somewhere

One guy did have dry down in his, so many options
    Went to buy some camouflage trousers the other day but I couldn't find any.

Ejected
    Is the dame thing such a big issue now that there is water repellant down? You are very unlikely to get wet in a hammock so down all the way for me.

So is this just like sleeping on the mat with a small blanket wrapped over you?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by knownas View Post
    So is this just like sleeping on the mat with a small blanket wrapped over you?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Yip, lightweight because they forgot the underside and the hood off the sleeping bag