Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: New ultra lite bush build - your thoughts?

New ultra lite bush build - your thoughts?

Hi guys, I’m planning on embarking on an ultra lite bush build. Yes I have a limited budget so carbon barrel is out lol.
    So here’s what I’m thinking:

Howa superlite in 308 1.5kg or less if I shorten the barrel..
    Shorted barrel… what length?

Alloy rings - ideas? Weight?

My own custom carbon wrap stock 450g with butt pad. (Why not use the one that comes with it? Well for starters the comb is way way too low, especially due to the rail height and then rings on top. It also has flex. The bottom inletting is also poor and my friend who supplies them has broken mag/trigger plate with 2turns still to go on the action screws… also had 2 stocks he sent back that screw holes were on too much angle and wouldn’t engage the action.

Do I need a bipod? Thinking not but your thoughts?

Leupold vx1 scope 275g

Maniatis alpine suppressor 270g

So we are at an estimated 2.5 kg or there abouts

So if I was shooting that I’d want light projectiles cause I hate recoil.. but this isn’t a target rifle and will only shoot animals, am I being soft?

Are my maths any good?

Other options?

Old school guys would do open sights and no suppressor.. but I want to shoot out to 300 and I value my hearing…

Any last requests?

you are suppressed so recoil isnt a problem with .308 unless you intend to load it stupidly hot.
    plenty of options for a good,capable and cheap load...
    out to 300 maximum you arent going to need a lot of scope....wee 2x7 would be ideal
    the barrel is reasonably short to begin with but yeah .308s can take it a bit shorter...
    now I personally would DEFINATELY duel load it..big fat soft hornady 180grn round nose for up close and maybe a 125-130grn faster hotter load for out further...with option of 130grn hp speer for varmit type stuff or down loaded for young folks.
    and keto diet ..you will loose a kg or three yourself easier than grams on rifle
    TianBotha likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Gkp
    Why light weight for a bush shooter? I would of thought balance, quickness to shoulder and a solid half cock would be the priority

MB
    I also have a "budget" lightweight bush rifle in mind, just haven't got around to it, or if I'm honest, have no need at present. I can't add much to your wish list, but I'll go Tikka in a Kroseg carbon stock. Barrel around 16" and over-barrel suppressor, probably DPT, but open to suggestions. I'll add a VX2 3-9x33 that I have sat around doing nothing. Nice, small and light. I think some folk put too much scope on a bush rifle, but each to their own. Also plan to use "Lite" rounds initially. Nothing ground breaking, but no need to reinvent the wheel.

Can you get the Superlite as a barreled action or do you have to buy the whole thing with the factory stock? If you're on a budget wouldn't you save a load by using the 1500 Lightweight version? With your ultralight stock and a chopped barrel the weight would be fairly low anyway? And you can fit a set of Talleys and a nice light scope to keep the balance in the right place.

I'm assuming the rail on the new Superlight is screwed on? Can it be removed to fit conventional mounts like Talleys etc or have they made the top of the action proprietary in some way?
    kiwi303 likes this.

Get an illuminated reticule scope. You won't regret it.
    Gibo, 300CALMAN and Eat Meater like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

You might be better off going 708 or 260 or Crudmore for less recoil. All will get you to 300 no problem. Definitely need a suppressor if you going with short bbl

MB
    A very light factory rifle and not crazy expensive. Ticks a lot of my boxes. Shame about the factory stock from what the OP writes.

https://www.deltamike.co.nz/product/...08-winchester/
    Moa Hunter and TimC like this.

Caretaker
    Sako Finnlight in 7mm08 or 308

Name:  IMG_3768.jpeg
Views: 1018
Size:  902.9 KB
    BRADS, Gkp and 25/08 IMP like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

[QUOTE=Gkp;1450668]Why light weight for a bush shooter? I would of thought balance, quickness to shoulder and a solid half cock would be the priority

Guess I should have called it a general purpose hunting rifle. No need for 300 in the bush. After lugging heavy rifles around for years I build a light Grendel bolt action… a dream to carry but 150y is about all I’ll do with that rifle. Scoped and suppressor it weighs just over 2.5kg I’ll post some pics
    Micky Duck and Gkp like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Sako Finnlight in 7mm08 or 308

Attachment 224650
    What does it weigh?

I've got a kimber hunter 308, barrel cut to 17 inches with maniatis alpine lite and vx3 2.5-8x36 on top in tally rings. Its so compact and nice to carry compared to my mates tikka bush pig. I also removed to gel from the stock to save a few hundred more grams. All up 2.6 kg or just under 6 pounds.

I have looked at options for carbon stocks before however the detachable mag and integrated trigger guard made it very difficult. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    You might be better off going 708 or 260 or Crudmore for less recoil. All will get you to 300 no problem. Definitely need a suppressor if you going with short bbl
    Yes if I was going custom barrel I’d not choose 308. Just that the new howas only come in 6.5creedmoor and 308 and I want a short barrel so thought 308 would better suit that

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cowan View Post
    What does it weigh?
    I have no idea

I just shoot shit with it

Either 7mm08 or 308 good to 630 yards
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Gkp
    [QUOTE=Scott Cowan;1450690]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkp View Post
    Why light weight for a bush shooter? I would of thought balance, quickness to shoulder and a solid half cock would be the priority

Guess I should have called it a general purpose hunting rifle. No need for 300 in the bush. After lugging heavy rifles around for years I build a light Grendel bolt action… a dream to carry but 150y is about all I’ll do with that rifle. Scoped and suppressor it weighs just over 2.5kg I’ll post some pics
    Gotcha. The Howa that @MB suggested looks pretty sweet. Although I reckon stainless and 18 inches in any of the 08 cartridges is the sweet spot.