Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Which pack for me?

Which pack for me?

After a few decent walks I've become sick and tired of the uncomfortable kathmandu pack that I've been using for a few years, I dont even know the name of it...
    Looking for a new pack that can definitely take enough gear for 2 nights (my general max trip) So: Tent, bag, mat, cooker, food, clothing and general stuff.

I have no idea where to start other than I would guess a 65lt pack?

For the right pack - ie comfortable with a semi decent load I'm willing to pay around $500 but it needs to be really nice quality that will last.

Macpac cascade
    Cactus Hector
    Cactus huntaway - too small?

Any others?

K2 Hunter...external frame,nice sold heavy canvas,comfortable harness,built to last........ I waited 20 years to get one and now wish I had done it sooner. this pack will see me out and probably go on to do someone after me. the zip off daybag is big enough for day gear/hunting gear.
    sometimes likes this.

I really like the look of that mate, the small one looks like the business @ 70lt.
    What's the benefits of a aluminium frame?

I really like the eberlestock Just one packs, I have an older one and I had a red hind and a fellow hind packed in it (boned out) and carried it about 8km out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a Macpac Cascade on here recently... Happy with mine

allot depends on your build not the manufacturer of the pack, some packs are short and wide, some are tall and narrow like the person using it. best to go try a few on
    gadgetman and Shearer like this.

Genesis ok? On sale ATM. $320 70L.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

i have a markhor and like it but if i could turn back time prob go for the Cactus
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I have macpac but if I was going again I would go cactus...

I bought my macpac cascade back in Dec 1986. Still going strong. It has had a few repairs, it is on it's second set of shoulder straps and a couple of the zips have been re-sown back onto the pack (zip itself is fine).
    I don't know if the new macpac are as good a quality though.

recently upgraded my old macpac cascade to a new cactus and love it

From what I've read the new macpacs don't hold a candle to the older ones: looks like its between K2 Hunter and Cactus..

first time out with the K2 I spotted fallow going like clappers up ridge infront of us,sat down put pack out front and shot using frame to support rifle via the dreaded "hand samwidge" thats the furtherest Ive shot a deer yet...closer to 400 than 300 yards.
    they allow your back to breath a tad as there is an air space between fabric and your back...not a lot but it helps.
    you can sit on the plurry thing (semi standing) on a wet day and not worry about squashing everything down or it breaking.
    they dont stick out like a set of skis above your head to catch on every 2nd vine and branch while walking through the bush.
    its good quality canvas so it is waterproof.
    if you have awkward load you can rope it to outside and still get benifit of the straps/harness.
    its old school and it works.
    and as for the funny side pockets being useless...you can fit 3 pair of heavy woolen socks or a polarfleece top in them if you carefull.

Got an H&F gift card for Xmas - so off to the local people in Masterton.
    Decided on a Stoney Creek Buller model - 60+10 extender in plain colour OD green. Extra for camo pattern.
    More than enough for my 'paltry' tramping and hunting, max time out 4-5 days.
    Arrived early Jan, off to try it out and get fitted at the shop.
    Smaller models were too short in length, but suitable for kids and smaller women.
    This one fits well, seems to be quite adjustable and has a good selection of pockets/straps plus an adjustable rifle carry strap type pocket/support.
    Look it up on Stoney Creek's website - it seems to be quite waterproof, but not 'drop it in the river' sealable.
    With gift card and top up - $399-95.

MSL
    K2 alpine hunter