Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Recommended wet weather gear

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    When I was a farmer I used to use the Line7 breathable range, it was bloody tough and lasted a few years, even took it overseas with me.

Might be worth a look if you don't care about it not being a hunting brand. Unsure how it compares to other stuff, I imagine @BRADS has tried it and knows.
    I have a line7 glacier jacket I use in the farm and its bloody good

go stark fucking naked in the wet and keep all your gear dry to slip into at night .dont worry about game -shots wont be required one glance at a naked human body flaunting itself in the scrub should drop any self respecting animal with an instantaneous heart attack.
    Mil surp gear is usually pretty good after all its been extensively trialled in some of the biggest arsehole spots in NZ and on planet earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Dermastor View Post
    Another vote for Swazi Tahr anorak its old one but very dependable NZ made that gets my dollar. Wouldn't touch Macpac they use very suspect factories in the 3rd world with horrendous labour abuses so not for me they also actively discourage the use of firearms ever noticed how you can't get their gear in hunting type shops.
    They have their own shops.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Well. I went to the Chiefs game last night. Had my Macpac resolution jacket on. I was pretty damp at the end. I've had it for about 5 year now, it had a fair bit of use. Id always put any dampness down to me sweating underneath but after last night, I must have a few leaks. I have hunted in it a bit and pushed through a bit of bush lawyer at times maybe got a few holes in that way.
    Going to try an ex military jacket now.
    USGI ISSUE GEN III LEVEL 6 L 6 ACU DIGITAL GORETEX LIGHTWEIGHT JACKET NWT | eBay $160 nzd including freight. These look like they wont take up too much room in my pack. Theres other nice looking milsurp stuff (british and US) but its just a bit bulky for what I want.
    In the past Ive used a stony creek shooters jacket (heavy) swazi Tahr anorak (I put holes in it plus theyre expensive). We'll see how this one goes.

I was really happy with a Ridgeline Deluge I bought as a spare for the mrs, started wearing it myself. I could push through gorse and blackberry and not feel like I was flushing $600 down the toilet. I would buy one again.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

Nobody mentioned stoney creek. I don't owned any ( I have a swazy thar) but though that some would have said good things about them...

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Nobody mentioned stoney creek. I don't owned any ( I have a swazy thar) but though that some would have said good things about them...
    I am going into look at a Glaisnock but its pretty spendy for me.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk

At the end of this month the south island fieldays are at Kirwee. Its possible Swazi will be there. Swazi were at the Wanaka show yesterday and they had their rifleman and kagoule there to view.
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    @tikka so how long is the rifleman? Waist/crotch/thigh length?
    When I contacted Swazi they said they'd only be available direct so can't go have a look at one.

@Nga yeah I wouldn't touch Hunters element with a barge pole, the huntech jacket was getting good wraps, that or Swazi, the other option is something like the Macpac resolution jacket which is what I use, it's not quite for use in the bush but great for open tops hunting, etc wait for one of there sales
    outdoorlad likes this.

Nga
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    When I was a farmer I used to use the Line7 breathable range, it was bloody tough and lasted a few years, even took it overseas with me.

Might be worth a look if you don't care about it not being a hunting brand. Unsure how it compares to other stuff, I imagine @BRADS has tried it and knows.

I'll look into that, I just want it packable and dry, I do not need the secret pocket that you can never find, just want to take my gear off and slide into my hammock dry and warm not wet and shaking, maybe a anorak might be the go, I did have a stoney creek swany in blaze but my nephew stole that the little prick...
    Roses are red
    Bacon is red
    Poems are hard
    Bacon.

Sitka stormfront seems pretty good. I too was at the cheifs game on Friday and at the end of it all my top half was bone dry. Can't say the same about my shorts and shoes.

Solid color too which is nice if you hate camo like me.

Stoney Creek Huntlite 2 here - I like it

Swazi Wapiti for those short missions when its really peeing down, Ex British Army Goretex Jacket and Pants for longer back pack hunts when weight is an issue. they weigh F/A and pack down real small. Keep you dry all day too. Get them from Army and Outdoors on line (its a NZ company), not too pricey either for Goretex.
    Nga likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Well. I went to the Chiefs game last night. Had my Macpac resolution jacket on. I was pretty damp at the end. I've had it for about 5 year now, it had a fair bit of use. Id always put any dampness down to me sweating underneath but after last night, I must have a few leaks. I have hunted in it a bit and pushed through a bit of bush lawyer at times maybe got a few holes in that way.
    Going to try an ex military jacket now.
    USGI ISSUE GEN III LEVEL 6 L 6 ACU DIGITAL GORETEX LIGHTWEIGHT JACKET NWT | eBay $160 nzd including freight. These look like they wont take up too much room in my pack. Theres other nice looking milsurp stuff (british and US) but its just a bit bulky for what I want.
    In the past Ive used a stony creek shooters jacket (heavy) swazi Tahr anorak (I put holes in it plus theyre expensive). We'll see how this one goes.
    Have found army gotten really loud in the bush or if sitting still

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Have found army gotten really loud in the bush or if sitting still
    Some of the army coats are designed to be worn under an outer layer. Something fleece or similar with lots of 'tacticool' pockets. I guess that way it keeps the jacket protected to a certain level

I'll add a big thumbs up for a Swazi Thar Anorak.
    I'm always dry in mine. And I don't find it gets heavy at all.
    I got mine about 5 years ago at their store in Levin. it was on sale 50% cause it was a cancelled export order to the UK. its got two large pockets rather than the one.
    I love it
    Friwi and Nga like this.