Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: School me on Swags

Walking my rifle

School me on Swags

Right, so im thinking to get my ducks in a row so that i can start taking the young fella out with me (he is 3 almost 4). I saw a Kings big daddy swag on marketplace that brand new for a sharp price, that would easy be big enough for the 2 of us. But anyway, started looking at reviews and saw overwhelming reviews saying that its not great at being waterproof.

So propably OK for a lot of OZ but not here.

So whats the go with swags in NZ? Are there other types that are more NZ weather friendly, or are we better off just sticking to tents? Never had a swag, but thought it be a good idea since we would likely just be camping next to the ute when he is with me.

I already have a 2 person bushbuck tent that ive taken to hell and back and its been great. Broke a few guy ropes in the SI and bent a few tent pegs but thats about it.

Cheers
    CBH Australia likes this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

I liked the idea of swags, however wanted something lighter and ended up going for a hooped bivy bag. I have just brought one of the Macpac Bush cocoons, and am keen to see how that goes! Might even fit my 5 year old son in as well at a squeeze if needed. Don't have my own review of it yet (only got yesterday after looking into it) but will be keen to see how it goes.

Fly. With ground sheet. With plenty of cord. Can make it like a tent. Just need something to tie off to, wagon works fine. If wagon is carting it a tarpaulin works. If you're carting it lots of light carry options. Best thing with a fly is 360 degree view, or at least 180. Tent- can't see squat. I like to see out. Bags get wet inside. No matter what. So do tents. Fly breaths better, not perfect as you can still get condensation underneath, but better.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

I've looked at swags a few times but never quite got to getting one.

I was looking at it from being able to drive to you spot Friday night and quickly roll it out, jump in, roll it back up in the morning, throw it in the ute and off you go without having to dick around repacking your pack.

Hardantler probably is the best but fairly pricey option.

https://www.hardantlercamping.co.nz/...he-nz-outdoors
    Moa Hunter and SikaHuntaa like this.

I've got a kings swag. I would recommend it. Much nicer to sleep in than a tent. Very fast to set up and take down. I wouldn't buy one second hand though, the first one that I had leaked because the stitching was shit. I emailed them and took photos and they sent me a replacement. The replacement has been awesome. Just make sure that you season it properly and it will be waterproof. I've had it in some heavy rain without issue. They do take up a reasonable amount of space in a ute though.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Pays to use an awning. Just are much more comfy than a tent.

Would that make you a jolly swag man ? if so I think you may be restricted to camping by the billabong

its an old concept...bivy bag with mattress inside it....
    beside vechile a pup tent or fly and camp stretchers with foam mattress beats just about everything else,your bones will thank you in morning.
    NewbieZAR likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Us and several family members use the Adventure Kings swags for camping out of our 4wds. Sister in Law went for the pink one...wtf?... Plenty of room for two adults and a bit of gear. Great for kids as they are warmer and stay darker inside for longer in the morning.
    You do need to check stitching, etc. Especially in the floor tub. Within our group of mates we have sent two back. No issues with getting replacements.
    We have siliconed the corner stitching in the floor tub.
    The AK swags do have loose sides and sag inwards, which can be a nuisance. Though easily remedied with a couple of guy lines and pegs to apply tension.
    You'll want a tarp in wet weather so you can enter/exit without getting you and tent contents wet. A door mat in wet weather is good too.
    Very bulky to store and transport if you buy with their mattress. We use inflatable ones.
    I have a Hard Antler for solo trips, and it is much more robust. Although far less space.
    Thicker canvas, etc.
    AK swags are cheaper for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ROKTOY; 06-10-2023 at 05:22 PM.

Speaking as someone who lives between Australia ( the home of Swags ) and NZ I’ve probably spent more nights in a Swag than most .

There are Swag’s and there are Swag’s.

If your talking about “ old school “ Swags , basically a canvas Bed Roll then in NZ conditions they are only useful when you have a covering over you - shed roof - tent fly etc .

If your talking about “ new school “ Swags , basically a mini tent with poles and insect mesh etc then they can be a useful option .

Buttt……..

The amount of space they take up when transporting them is just a pain in the arse , the quality of sleep is often not great and the usefulness of them is limited to just sleeping ( try hanging out in a Swag all day when the weather is bad )

I’ve spent a large amount of time sleeping out over the last 15 years in a multitude of swags and their near cousins.
    All I use now are stretcher tents

https://www.oztent.com.au/products/bunker-pro

If it’s a travelling type scenario where I’m living out of a vehicle then I’ll never sleep on the ground again .
    Back packing/ Hunting etc is another story and I’ll sleep just about anywhere
    Micky Duck likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Mum, two boys from 6&7 to present (16&17), we’ve slept in the Southern Cross Canvas swags for something like 600 nights, all over Aus and NZ.

I rate them very highly, and still use them.

Name:  43D06681-022A-48A1-8647-801A59E2BAF4.jpeg
Views: 331
Size:  866.1 KB
    Micky Duck and NewbieZAR like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Walking my rifle
    Looking at the comments above i wonder if i wont be better off buying the tent (sides) for my utes awning and a couple stretchers for camping by the ute.
    Micky Duck and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    Looking at the comments above i wonder if i wont be better off buying the tent (sides) for my utes awning and a couple stretchers for camping by the ute.
    If you have that option, that’s what I’d do , main reason being you can get out of bed and move around under cover .
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Roll Swags are great for a quick easy bed on a good night. Sleep better than in my bed most nights. Bit Useless if proper wet but will handle a bit of drizzle. A tarp over top fixes that but then you might as well have a tent with a bed roll. If you’ve got an awning already get the sides and stretchers with a mattress topper or the like. Would be comfy as and have a bit more space when out in sub par conditions Name:  IMG_0311.jpeg
Views: 364
Size:  3.94 MB
    NewbieZAR likes this.

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ground Control View Post
    If you have that option, that’s what I’d do , main reason being you can get out of bed and move around under cover .
    Yeah i already have a 2.5x2.5m awning on my ute and the tent for it is about the price of a cheap swag