Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By kiwijames
  • 4 Post By MSL

Thread: Sleeping bag storage

Sleeping bag storage

Probably a thread on this already but to lazy to look!!

I like to have all my gear in a bag ready to go for overnight hunts, problem I have is my sleeping bag takes up a lot of room. Currently have them hanging in large storage airflow bags. Learnt years ago that down bags shouldn't be left in stuff sacks perminanttly. Is this true or can I just dry it outdated a trip and put them back in a stuff sack?

If you keep down in a stuff sack, it will compact and loose thermal quality. The down gets compressed even in my jacket, if I forget to take it out and hang it.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

But how much quality i guessses is the question? If it's only 10% then I'd leave it in its bag as its to hot usually

I take mine out of the stuff sack, chuck the stuff sack inside the sleeping bag then put it loose in the top of a wardrobe. Only takes a minute or so to put it back in the stuff sack to head out. My bags are about 30 years old and going strong.

You are best not to degrade the quality of your bag if it is too hot, just open it up to adjust temperature or if your bag is made the right way move some of the down to the bottom side.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I usually just leave it unzipped, one of these days I'll be up a mountain and looking for tahr and be thankful I kept it unstaffed I guess. Would be nice to have a pack ready to go but I guess that's just part of the fun putting things in a pack for a trip!

I keep mine stuffed, macpac down bags, about twenty years old, maybe more, I find that once I get to where I am going if I give them a big shake they fluff right up again no problem.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Most decent bags come with a larger mesh storage bag. Leave it in those and so far so good.
    Timmay and BRADS like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

MSL
    If I didn't have time to pack my sleeping back into its stuff sack then chances are id have no time to go hunting anyway.
    Blaser, 257weatherby, res and 1 others like this.