Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: SPEEDY STITCHER - great wee tool!

SPEEDY STITCHER - great wee tool!

Folks here are probably way ahead of me, and there’s no doubt other threads…but if you don’t have one / haven’t ever used / seen one, get involved! It’s a shite Sunday in Nelson today so am mending all that stuff where the dive bag pvc is giving out at the end, canvas hunting pouch zips are coming un-stitched, you know, niggly repairs that have needed some attention for ages. Yip. A proper sewing machine is probably better but I don’t have one and for small awkward jobs in heavy duty fabrics (triple layer canvas etc.) This is bloody good. Buy one in good ol’ NZ or pay three or four times less on ALI Express and get the same thing delivered to your door. Am doing this from phone so hopefully photos come through - will post a couple later if not.
    If the canvas pouch pic attaches, the speedy stitch work is the thick uneven black wax thread - hard to get straight but who gives a shit right🙂 Try getting a machine in there through the canvas - this was easy as well as speedy!🙂
    Name:  IMG_0912.jpeg
Views: 403
Size:  1.47 MBName:  IMG_0914.jpeg
Views: 387
Size:  136.9 KB

I’ve used one for years and love it, last use was make a loops at the ends of a broken strop so I can use it as a tow rope
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Just what I need

These are great bits of gear. I got one in the mid 90's when I was in the Army and still have it. Its been used on dozens of repairs over the years, I even modified a set of webbing with belt loops, fast ex and velcro one time.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com

Can produce slow but incredibly strong stitches. A must for everyone that wants to repair or modify gear and equipment.
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    I use out of date silk surgical sutures (they would otherwise be discarded). Damn strong! This tool looks interesting.
    Eat Meater likes this.

So in your screenshot, the 'Type A' which you've clicked on is the one to get? Not the one with the dark grey/green handle and the spool out the front?

Yes PaulNZ, that is correct. That screen shot is straight from the 'my orders' part of AE when you login. Here's a close up of it on my table. It's well made and I wouldn't hesitate to get one from China. FYI the store on my order reads, "Good An Life Store" (gotta love the English :-) )Name:  SPEEDY STITICH from AE.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  1.55 MB
    Last edited by Monsoon Moon; 03-12-2023 at 04:29 PM.

I am now on my second one (got the first direct from Brownells the US in 1970). Great tools!

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    Can produce slow but incredibly strong stitches. A must for everyone that wants to repair or modify gear and equipment.
    I have a guy that does that stuff for me.

Speaking of which, you left yours here yesterday.
    Micky Duck likes this.

thanks for the heads up...have let the war dept know.
    I remember Dad rebuilding a saddle using one 45 years ago..saddle was rooted to begin with and lasted for years after the refurb.... Ive done a few wee jobs using one over the years,once you get the knack of it,they arent that slow.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Looks like the same thing on Temu. Fractionally more expensive though.
    https://www.temu.com/nz/1pc-leather-...303_jztz4ath68
    Micky Duck likes this.

If you are going to the trouble of buying one on line, get a few spare needles, and the different shaped ones. And a decent roll of thread.
    blip likes this.

found one in a shop just down the road from work for $42.00 not to bad if you just want to walk into a shop and buy one some places are a rip off for them..
    may be sarcastic may be a bad joke

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    found one in a shop just down the road from work for $42.00 not to bad if you just want to walk into a shop and buy one some places are a rip off for them..
    I'm the same, I want one of these but would rather walk into a shop and pay more than go online and buy some cheap shit from china.