Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Stihl Chainsaw

Stihl Chainsaw

looking at a new Stihl fire wood saw
    At this stage 16" minimum up to 20" max.
    Just a basic firewood saw
    have looked a the MS 261 C-M 16" professional saw. will ask if it can run a 18" bar. we have a older one at work and its a nice saw.
    I like been able to move rings on to splitter
    Micky Duck likes this.

Caretaker
    18-20 inch bar is super handy for firewood

A forum member might even have a tidy second hand saw that would suit you
    BRADS and bigbear like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Probably just going to go new at this stage

yip it will take 18" with ease.... Ive got one same spec...only single thing I would change is the silly quick tensioner system and go back to old school faceplate with nuts and screw out tensioner I would do so in a heartbeat.
    bigbear likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I own a 025 a 026 plus the more modern ms261 they are similar but the slightly bigger 026 sure has the grunt advantage..happily use any and all for most jobs and handle them for hours without issues... placing rear of handle against hip helps to keep arms from getting tired so quickly

@Micky Duck a must is the two nut bar lock
    7mmsaum, 57jl and Micky Duck like this.

MS400

Its a great saw that punches well above its weight.
    duckdog likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

How much use are you going to put it to? The 261 is a bloody nice saw, I have the MS260 and MS361 combo currently but have have a range of other Stihls, Husqy's, Makita's, etc etc. If you are a few times a year user and don't mind the open tail bars the MS270 could be a good option as well. One of the issues if you can call it that is the MS260/261 series are one of the few Stihl saws using the heavier duty closed tail bar design with a .325 pitch chain. This makes the bars more expensive and occasionally a bit harder to source than the bigger 3/8 full size forestry bars and the smaller open tail "light duty" saws.

At a practical level, the MS260 I have normally wears a 15" bar/.325 pitch and with that on it (the smallest size and almost impossible to get off the shelf in NZ) it cuts like the finger of god. It's ridiculously quick, and the chain RPM is off the charts. I have 16" and 18" bars for it as well, but it's just such an animal with the 15" on it I just leave it with that. The MS361 on the other hand has bars between 18" and 22" here (I have a 16" but never use it) and while it's noticeably heavier and bulkier it moves a lot of timber and is a very effective tool even at 22" bar length. I'd hesitate to go over 22" with it just for bar oiling. What I'm getting at there, is while the MS261 and similar 50cc saws might be able to run a 20" bar you'll find they will run better with a shorter bar length and will be less likely to feel the chain going a bit dull. Horsepower rules here!

If you are wanting to run 20" bars all the time and are doing a lot of work I'd recommend you seriously consider a 60cc class saw on 3/8 pitch chain, it will just be better (I think the current Stihl equivalent is the MS362? Theres a MS400 in the mix now too). If you're able to run the 16 or 18" bars and only once in a while have a need for the 20" bar the 50cc MS261 will be very suitable as a pro-series saw, and if you are not doing that much work with it the light duty saws in Stihl's line or for that matter the Husqy's will do it as well. If you're going to be maxing the thing out, something like a MS440/460 is an option as a decent second hand - they are bloody good saws especially the 460 size. I'd get another in an instant if I had the need (but the 361 will chop everything I need at the mo). I recently got an adult jigsaw parts box 460 saw, and got offered good money for it once I got it back together. Still regret selling it!
    zimmer and Micky Duck like this.

@No.3 it will be used to cut 10 cube of wood a year and cleaning up a few trees around home, do have access to a bigger husqvarna saw at work running a 24" bar.
    So saw want be doing a lot of work.
    we use a 261 16" bar at work for scrub cutting and a general farm saw its a nice saw, Also run a husqvarna similar size saw 16" bar and its just ok, come with a quick release bar nut thing that crapped out so had to put a nut on it any way.

Sounds like 261 it is then. Will be fine for what you are doing, especially if you have access to the bigger saw. That's the reason I ended up with the 361 - figured it would be a 'do everything' saw but the 260 is just so damn good at what it does that I've not been able to put it down. I've upgraded the oiler in it with an adjustable setup off a crashed saw which is a very good improvement when using the short bar - it was an oilslick maker that would make exxon blush with the automatic fixed flow oiler on it. I might look to rebuild that at some stage but will need everything to do it (slug/jug/carb/starter/exhaust/covers/gaskets plus some screws etc) so it's not on the urgent pile.
    Micky Duck likes this.

If the fire wood logs are that big they get left behind these days

I currently have a MS260 pro, MS270 and a MS250.
    Had a quick fang on a 261cm, quite a lot to like about.
    The 250 has 16” bar and 270 has 18” bar
    That’s about right for both of them.
    For the 260
    I have an older 16” bar for root ball, scrub cutting and a 20” bar for felling pine/ limbing
    Went with 20” for reach/ less bending at back. Pulls well enough in 25yo plantation pine with a basic exhaust mod/tune and a good sharp chain (skip).
    Adjustable oiler is valuable.
    I run 40-42:1 mix ratio.

Cheers Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    I currently have a MS260 pro, MS270 and a MS250.
    Had a quick fang on a 261cm, quite a lot to like about.
    The 250 has 16” bar and 270 has 18” bar
    That’s about right for both of them.
    For the 260
    I have an older 16” bar for root ball, scrub cutting and a 20” bar for felling pine/ limbing
    Went with 20” for reach/ less bending at back. Pulls well enough in 25yo plantation pine with a basic exhaust mod/tune and a good sharp chain (skip).
    Adjustable oiler is valuable.
    I run 40-42:1 mix ratio.

Cheers Cliff
    Yes, I've gone 40:1 for everything too - simply because it's a bit of insurance with a measuring cockup as 50:1 is fairly easy to go out to 60:1 which can kill some cheaper chinese things. 40:1 is only a percent or so higher in oil in the mix, and very slightly higher density and cost for fuel but not really enough to make much of a difference compared to the little bit of extra comfort.

@No.3 had a look at few saws today but waiting to see what comes up with field day deals next month. Still like the ms261 with the 18" bar
    look at the
    ms261 16" 50.2cc 2.9kw $1585 5.2kg they will change bar to 18" no cost
    ms291 18" 55.5cc 2,8kw $1375 5.6kg
    ms391 20" 64.1cc 3.3kw $1585 6.2kg
    XR500 likes this.

that makes the 291 look pretty darn attractive.....
    Snap 4T likes this.