Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Ellesmere… a few questions!

Ellesmere… a few questions!

After another great opening weekend over the coast with the father inlaw, ….not big numbers of ducks some average shots mixed with the odd good one, i've come back to ch'ch more determined than ever to get out more through the season other than opening and maybe one other week end when we pop back over to see the family.

Have been doing a bit of reading up on ellesmere …..

Was wondering how many people shoot casually from vacant mai mais (respectfully of course) on the public sections, particularly taking in the evening flight and if this is worth doing.

Having just shot small bush and farm pond on the coast is a decent spread of decoys a necessity and is it possible to retrieve without a dog (waders act)

Am aware of the additional permit/s you need other than your gb license on ellesmere just thought i'd ask a couple of possibly daft question before i got out and gave it a crack to make sure i was doing it right and not potentially gonna piss any one off(too much )

any other pointers welcome of course, cheers

PM me and I can help you out if you want to.

When I was at Lincoln we'd shoot it several times a week.

We'd access it off Wolfe road.

Used to use any hide that wasn't already occupied. We'd throw out about 6-8 deeks, sit back and enjoy the evening/morning.

We didn't have dogs or waders for a while, but eventually all invested in waders which made things a bit easier.

Obviuosly the lake shoots best when a strong front pushes thru, keep your eye on the forecast and if a southerly is coming make sure you are there!

Tuck up somewhere sheltered with a few deeks and wait the front out, shooting can be unbelievably fast.

Even on calms days we'd take home a few ducks so it's always worth a crack.

Calling is fairly important at the lake, so be prepared to work your duck caller.
    Munsey and jord like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

pick your spot on the lake based on any wind ie nor noreast boggy creek can crank southerly wolfs embankment rd dickies road.
    watch the drains they,re deceptive and most of us have been upto our necks at least once

Thanks fellas all helpful and appreciated

I had some of my best shooting jidt standing behind a bush where the birds were flying. Go out aroubd 2 in the arvo. Try to spot wjere the irds are trading and head there. Has worked well for me on a number of occasions
    Sparrow likes this.

Pm me you can carry my decoys out for me if you want to go for a shot out there I'll take you out ,it all helps . Otherwise just go out for a look , you can use any unoccupied Mai Mai , lake has been real high and has been opened to the sea , so will be dropping fast . Don't consider driving out there to save a walk ! . The lake flats are like grease . Like it's been said a front is normally when it happens . Make sure you decoys are set up well , ie strong clips , strong knots and cord and at least two long steel steaks to tie off to . Use these steaks to range your birds place them at 35 yards max from your hide and your Deeks inside of them . Hard to range birds on big water so it helps , something I find helps anyway .
    Sparrow likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

a mate was saying a hell of a lot of maimais are just gone frim the big blow a while back?

be very bloody careful.if youre wading just off shore keep an eye open for the mouths of creeks.the lakebed here will be soft&boggy and believe me its bloody easy to get stuck.ive personally been stuck up to midthigh in one section at Boggy creek and it required some effort on the boys behalf to free me.Its not a pleasent feeling ,all kjokes aside.
    some of that ellesmere shit clings tighter to you than a scotsman with his first dollar!
    Sparrow likes this.

kotuku makes a good point your better to hook up with someone who knows the place a bit but paces like boggy creek are a good learner area best accessed mostly by shanks pony from the lake edge that cant be said of the all the northern or nor eastern side

I've been thinking of the whole Ellesmere thing too. Mainly hunt the river and thinking I need to try the lake.
    Munsey and gsp follower like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    I've been thinking of the whole Ellesmere thing too. Mainly hunt the river and thinking I need to try the lake.
    GO FOR IT MAN ITS A FN AWESOME RESOURSE AND THE SHEER SIZE AND VARIETY OF WATERFOWL IS WORTH THE TRIP.
    Munsey likes this.

I agree it's a widely under looked resource after opening day
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    I agree it's a widely under looked resource after opening day
    I drove out to little river to drop the dog at a mates place and noticed a heap of stands and bird around that side. Might need to pay a visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

US-its also great to drive up the numerous wee roads on the west side,don waders and wade around the numerous wee coves & bays that often harbour suprising numbers of ducks /ferals &canadas.
    you also come across some boomer hidden maimais-well worth the effort.mate &I did this one day ;jumped into a maimai- bugger me in less than 10mins we got nailed by half a dozen brazen mallards -5 of whom got a oneway ride home into the freezer.we nicknamed it "mallard molesters motel."
    Uplandstalker and Scouser like this.