Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Surf casting rig

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Sorry Alvie reel???
    Attachment 12015
    Cant recall where in Africa it was, may have been a Robson Green show??
    Ah ok, think i have seen one of those once, nah very rare to see one, normal scarborough or penns the most common, eggbeaters for beginners!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Ah ok, think i have seen one of those once, nah very rare to see one, normal scarborough or penns the most common, eggbeaters for beginners!
    Hell no they are for on to it cunts who don't want to spend all day untangling birdsnests after a cocking up a cast, overheads can stay on the boats and that is the only time I will use them is fishing from a boat.
    major likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    4/0 is the smallest in my tackle box toby I use recurve/mutsu style hooks and the 4/0 and 5/0 are the only ones I use I do have bigger but only if fishing from a boat or after kingfish and using a livebait. I refuse to use 3/0, suicide hooks etc as I prefer to lip hook than gill or gut hook like you can risk getting with smaller hooks and suicide or octopus style hooks..
    Black magic KL' s are the hook I like. Thats curved
    VIVA LA HOWA

Hehe, not having a go, explaining what was popular from there.
    Must say eggbeaters have come a long way and are much better quality with better drags, it was a set in traditional thing from when eggbeaters were cheap and not very strong and the old ones couldn't handle a big fight.

Will say that once you become good with and overhead reel you will never go back!

This is a scarborough reel.

Name:  Scarborough.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  61.3 KB
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I guess that put me in the beginner pigeon hole along with my vintage Mitchell 488's & 16' power sticks.
    The superior drag system ,large diameter casting spools more than a match for the larger fish.
    The fish I'm catching must be down to beginners luck I guess.
    Gun control means using both hands

I think you guys have misunderstood me, I was explaining the attitude towards eggbeaters and reels of preference where I came from, no offence intended!

As I said there are some very good reels now that can handle very big fish.
    Toby likes this.

Ha ha steady on guys, your starting to sound like you should be in the kitchen making a pav with all this egg beater talk!!!
    I think they both have their pro's and cons.
    I doubt I could cast an overhead as far as I could an egg beater

I think they use over head reels for long distance casting comps? Not 100% sure
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I guess that put me in the beginner pigeon hole along with my vintage Mitchell 488's & 16' power sticks.
    The superior drag system ,large diameter casting spools more than a match for the larger fish.
    The fish I'm catching must be down to beginners luck I guess.
    Nothing wrong with mitchell reels my first surfcasting rig that my dad gave me was an old cane surf rod with a daiwa RA7700 used to take a good hiding that reel. Spud all good with us nothing wrong with ribbing each other about different reels. Gibo seeing you suggested it I will have my pav with cream and strawberries after you have made it.
    Spudattack and Gibo like this.

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Ha ha ok but no guarantees that it will come out edible!!
    I would love a new Stella but for 1100 + for the smallest one..... Ah nah!

I'll take my Pav with whipped cream ,kiwi fruit n chocolate hail thanks Gibo (since it was your suggestion)

Seriously though I went back to Mitchell reels simply because the modern reels especially the Japanese made just don't seem the be very tough.Small spools ,weak shafts, rubbish bearings they just don't last.I might get 12 months out of a jap reel.The modern casting reels are a different item to what over head reels where 30 or 40 years ago when I started fishing.
    Quite frankly I couldn't cast with one ,try doing that in the dark I'd probably end up in A & E.
    Although they have been designed for distance casting I wonder how long the internal parts would last given some serious surf fishing. End of the day its a matter of personal choice & what your comfortable with.I'll be staying with Mitchel fixed spool reels for a while longer.
    hunter308 likes this.

If I were to buy a new reel for surfcasting I would honestly go and buy a penn spinfisher 950ss the daiwa crossfire I have got does a good job but would hate to see what would happen to it if I got onto a big fish, when I was living in whangarei I burnt out the drag on a cheap daiwa while fighting a good sized fish from the rocks and the last run it took I watched in horror (actually feeling rather impressed) as smoke started to piss out from under the drag knob the ex brother in law stood there with a blank look on his face especially after he was going on about the area being a shit spot for fishing and the fresh lump of trevalley I stuck on the hook with big protests from the outlaw was also shit (believe me he knew fuck all I had to tie all of his traces for the dumb cunt) needless to say not only did the drag burn out I got totally spooled. Last fight with a big fish up there off the rocks I was on for a good 15 minutes gimballed up and using a kilwell bait runner reel and that stood up to the task nicely then I got bit off just as we were about to gaff the biggest snapper I had ever caught and it had been involved with many fights with good sized fish up there prior to that I really miss that reel I had it set up on a shakespeare black tiger boat rod which also made a really nice set up for rock hopping but I stupidly sold it to get gas to get out of whangarei after I got sick of living in a leaky old caravan I was renting at a holiday park after the marriage bust up.
    stingray and Toby like this.

I carry a Penn 950 as a back up reel ,some times quicker to bang another reel on than re-spool the 1 the just got smoked by another bloody sting ray.Good reel the local sport shop did me a good deal on it.

I carry a Penn 950 as a back up reel ,some times quicker to bang another reel on than re-spool the 1 the just got smoked by another bloody sting ray.Good reel the local sport shop did me a good deal on it.
    Always wanted a 850 or 950ss have owned seaboys for boat fishing in the past and really liked them but a penn spinfisher has always been on my to buy when I can afford it list, the 950ss on a 15 foot shakespeare ugly stik gold would make a bloody awesome combo.

Fulla
    I'll take my Pav with whipped cream ,kiwi fruit n chocolate hail thanks Gibo (since it was your suggestion)

Seriously though I went back to Mitchell reels simply because the modern reels especially the Japanese made just don't seem the be very tough.Small spools ,weak shafts, rubbish bearings they just don't last.I might get 12 months out of a jap reel.The modern casting reels are a different item to what over head reels where 30 or 40 years ago when I started fishing.
    Quite frankly I couldn't cast with one ,try doing that in the dark I'd probably end up in A & E.
    Although they have been designed for distance casting I wonder how long the internal parts would last given some serious surf fishing. End of the day its a matter of personal choice & what your comfortable with.I'll be staying with Mitchel fixed spool reels for a while longer.
    I did the same, had my dads old Mitchel, then went and got new gear. now im back to that old Mitchel. its been drowned often. but it casts well, and just straight works.