Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: New huts

New huts

Introduction....

I started this thread called "New huts" to match the thread called "Old huts".

This gives an opportunity for newer hunters to post up photos of new huts /or perhaps they could be called small houses or show what the old "new huts" look like now?

I used to work for the NZ Forest Service along with heaps of others years ago. I worked on a few huts etc most of these related photos I'm putting up will now be called old hut photos but when I worked on some of huts they were improved huts

When I worked on the Ngamoko hut in the Southern Ruahines some 47 years ago when I built it it was then a new hut. This is why I'm putting these photos here in a new thread. I hope that the Ngamoko hut is still standing?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  772.9 KB

This was the accommodation that was these before we built the hut.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1043
Size:  748.7 KB

A Hiller helicopter delivering materials for hut building.

More photos working on the new hut under construction.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  709.8 KB

We obviously lived in the tent camp while the hut was being built.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  622.8 KB
    Trout, Brian, johnd and 5 others like this.

A photo of the (new) Ngamoko hut about December 1975

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  642.9 KB

Perhaps someone has an updated photo of this "new" hut now?

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  229.3 KB

A map of the area for reference purposes for those unsure of the location. The hut location is shown in the top right of the map within the Pohangina valley.

I must have pissed the boss off one day when I worked at Poh Base or he simply wanted me out of his hair for a few days.Told me to piss off up the Poh.Reason given for the wander up the river= go measure the casement sash perspex pane @ Ngamoko Hut ' in case we have to replace it one day,put the dimensions on file' So off I trudged. @video hunter great happy snaps of a std S70 hut under construction.The Wgtn Conservancy chippies when I was there were Hans Colenko and Mario Gerimia,names or colleagues you would be familiar with.I imagine the Hiller was hauling off the Poh base pad?Keep em coming

Have fond memories of the old tent camps in the Poh , Diggers and elsewhere , always had company at night , do you remember Mike Martin from Poh Base

Quote Originally Posted by Murray N View Post
    Have fond memories of the old tent camps in the Poh , Diggers and elsewhere , always had company at night , do you remember Mike Martin from Poh Base
    @Murray N Nope didnt know M Martin.Probably before my time. I was there in the 80's. O/C Woody Bolton 2I/C Pete Burke.The only malthoid tent camp remaining on the block in the 80's was Centre Creek.Ngamoko,Diggers and others all replaced with S70 permanent Huts

Quote Originally Posted by video hunter View Post
    More photos working on the new hut under construction.

Attachment 228130

We obviously lived in the tent camp while the hut was being built.

Attachment 228131
    You look at the timber dimensions of those S70 huts, then think that they have stood the rigours of weather 10 times worse than an Auckland gale, and are still standing 50 years later.
    tetawa, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Did a haul down the main range back in 79 ( from memory). Ruahine Corner to Po Base. met the guys just starting to build Top Gorge Hut.

Name:  Pohangina River lean too.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  2.87 MB
    Micky Duck, RV1 and Jukes like this.

Be interesting to see how they go about building a hut these days, probably have to have scaffolding, nets, hazard I D notices and all the other bullshit that’s required these days.
    XR500 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    Be interesting to see how they go about building a hut these days, probably have to have scaffolding, nets, hazard I D notices and all the other bullshit that’s required these days.
    ...And that's why a modest 10 person hut costs a mill to build.

That, and the Carpenters don't want to live on site so have to be choppered in and out daily
    Micky Duck, RV1 and Bush Basher like this.

Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    ...And that's why a modest 10 person hut costs a mill to build.

That, and the Carpenters don't want to live on site so have to be choppered in and out daily
    Find the right builders then! I'd love to build a doc hut and stay up there, be a great work place
    stingray, paremata, -BW- and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    re doing an older hut...it now has to be built up to modern spec..so the one shown will fail straight off as ridge beam now has to be 2x 12x2 I believe it is.....crazy amount of over kill.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    @Murray N Nope didnt know M Martin.Probably before my time. I was there in the 80's. O/C Woody Bolton 2I/C Pete Burke.The only malthoid tent camp remaining on the block in the 80's was Centre Creek.Ngamoko,Diggers and others all replaced with S70 permanent Huts
    Mike Martin was there late 60 s early 70 s , Mike left NZFS to work in the game parks of South Africa , sadly received the news Mike was killed in a accident not long after arriving in SA , top bloke , wanted me to work with him as contract shooter $ 7.50 a tail , stayed in the malthoid tent camp in Centre Creek , as well as the older tent camp opp Centre Creek in the 60 s , i remember Stev Bolton , the Top Gorge Hut must be one of the few Huts with a concrete floor

My contribution to the thread on newly built huts,but this model quickly in the space of 3 months got relegated to 'old huts' status.A relocatable 2 manner I built when doing winter goat work in the Tararuas.450kg as built on the hook of a D model to lift anywhere over the 4000' main range.I may have over engineered it with open cell poly for ceiling & wall insulation (due to no fire heating)and MDF lining to brace it up for strop loadings.Heating via a humid belching gas heater.First and only lift was from Otaki Forks Rd end into the T.L. mid Otaki about 2 miles up from the mouth of Kelliher Ck.Lift done by Amalgamated Helicopters principal Duncan 'Dunny' Sutherland out of Masterton.After 3 months of use we had tonged up all the goats so ready for Dunny to shift it to fresh country down valley.This is where the fun starts.In the interval of use by us couple of hairy hunters in damp conditions ,using the heater,cooking etc the painted linings had soaked up a hellava lot of moisture along with the poly.Dunny had probably too much fuel onboard,has all the gauges in the red and barely could make translation.Managed to haul it down valley towards Penn Ck junction,ran out of lift and had to button it from 30ft into the canopy.Old Hut.Has any Horowhenua members come across the debris field on a bench T.L. Otaki about one mile upstream from Penn Ck?Name:  IMG20230705193230.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  2.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by bluebaiter222 View Post
    My contribution to the thread on newly built huts,but this model quickly in the space of 3 months got relegated to 'old huts' status.A relocatable 2 manner I built when doing winter goat work in the Tararuas.450kg as built on the hook of a D model to lift anywhere over the 4000' main range.I may have over engineered it with open cell poly for ceiling & wall insulation (due to no fire heating)and MDF lining to brace it up for strop loadings.Heating via a humid belching gas heater.First and only lift was from Otaki Forks Rd end into the T.L. mid Otaki about 2 miles up from the mouth of Kelliher Ck.Lift done by Amalgamated Helicopters principal Duncan 'Dunny' Sutherland out of Masterton.After 3 months of use we had tonged up all the goats so ready for Dunny to shift it to fresh country down valley.This is where the fun starts.In the interval of use by us couple of hairy hunters in damp conditions ,using the heater,cooking etc the painted linings had soaked up a hellava lot of moisture along with the poly.Dunny had probably too much fuel onboard,has all the gauges in the red and barely could make translation.Managed to haul it down valley towards Penn Ck junction,ran out of lift and had to button it from 30ft into the canopy.Old Hut.Has any Horowhenua members come across the debris field on a bench T.L. Otaki about one mile upstream from Penn Ck?Attachment 228247
    That looks like Island forks hut? I know it was moved to its current location but not sure where they moved it from.... Sits on the Waitewaewae river up from the Waitewaewae / Otaki river confluence.
    Might not be but looks similar!
    Name:  11148-large.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  66.8 KB