Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kimber 7mm-08
  • 1 Post By Kimber 7mm-08
  • 1 Post By ZQLewis
  • 1 Post By superdiver
  • 1 Post By Matt.L

Thread: shooting range in the Queenstown area

JSV

shooting range in the Queenstown area

warning, tourist question!

Hi, don't want to hijack f-class, long range threads or personal post about their scope sight in.

but I can't seem to find simple drop-in range to practice 200 to 400 m shooting. I did write to Realguns crew without reply.

thanks!

Realguns is about it in terms of drop-in ranges around here. There are others, but they are not drop in as such and membership (nzda or private) would be required.

JSV
    ok, one option is always better than no option lol

are they more Messenger responsive or email should work(even if sent a week ago?)

the website doesn't say much on open hour and days, Google map indicat 7 days a week 10h to 16h. Facebook state Saturday and Sunday only... What's accurate?

drop-in are 20$/hour that's it that's all? membership etc?

thanks Kimber!

Messenger works. Haven't been out there as have other range options myself, but found they responded to my queries pretty quickly.
    JSV likes this.

JSV
    I'll try a related question here... Most of your setup seem to have suppressor. Is it require?
    actually, all the suppressor thing intrigue me, for Canadian it's class as dangerous as a rocket launcher lol
    but most of you are willing to bring this extra weight in your trip...

Suppressors are not a requirement by any means here. It is a matter of personal choice whether you run one or not. Personally I run a suppressor on everything I own now, to save my hearing, reduce recoil and make sure either my hunting buddies, or my hunting dog don't suffer noise effects unnecessarily. I love shooting my Kimber 300WSM with a suppressor on (barrel cut to 20 inches), while I can shoot it without it, for me it is a no brainer and the suppressor stays on.

I'm happy with the extra weight. Can make things a bit lighter or at least lessen the overall weight by shortening the barrel, changing stock etc. On my Kimber Montana 308, I cut it to 17inches, and fluted the barrel. Those changes allowed a suppressor to be added with minimal added weight (if at all).
    XR500 likes this.

Suppressor not silencer, the best claim to get close to a 40db reduction in sound pressure. 30db is more common.
    A rifle shot s typically >160db so you still get a >130db sound, its just a longer sound and many also suggest than animals find it harder to determine were the shot and threat came from. I have had several animals run straight at me after being shot.
    I see they are starting to catch on in the USA.
    This is one of several local manfactures who exports.
    https://www.hardyrifle.co.nz/suppressors
    Z
    All my rifles are fitted, but I share the suppressors, by changing the rear Bush.
    Worst annoyance is the sound small twigs and branches make if you catch them in the Bush.
    Fit a wrap or sleeve.
    XR500 likes this.

JSV
    seriously I also would have suppressor on all my rifle if it would be legal here... there are all threaded anyway
    but in canada: Section 84(1) of the Criminal Code prescribes any device or contrivance designed or intended to muffle or stop the sound or report of a firearm to be a prohibited device.

thanks for the info

Mate works there, they always seem to be open. Worth messaging and popping in
    JSV likes this.

I went up 2 weekends ago, seams to be open from 10 to 4 sat and Sunday just ring the cell number on there gate,( proberly same number as on website) super easy, very helpful team up there.
    JSV likes this.