Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Taupo range

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yeah and Range Managers etc., annual reports to the police amongst other things. Who would want to take on the responsibilites? The likes of Taupo will survive but smaller outfits will just say it's not worth all the hassle, we're done. Part of the master plan....
    There new President, Mark,is going to get things done, really nice guy, with a plan and financing sense.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    thats the trap,you just fell into...... instead of the police then seeing you and fellow shooters as good/nice/responsible chaps who know how to shoot and are fine fellows to be around on a range...you create an us and them situation and you become "the arseholes who kicked us off their range"
    plenty of folks on here bitch and moan police dont handle firearms often enough or well enough........think about that for 2 seconds..... then re-read what you posted.

yes I understand folks are pissed off and the new rules are dumb dumb and more dumb.....but creating further devide isnt going to help.
    All good as long as they pay for the privilege, that could help some clubs
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    All good as long as they pay for the privilege, that could help some clubs
    They have paid peppercorn fees to clubs over the years and spend thousands on each training day. The reality is they have no approved ranges of their own so need to be charged accordingly per shooter per day at a much more commercial rate to cover things like new range certification processes and compliance.

I would be interested in hearing what others think is a reasonable cost for a full day of work related training !!
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    They have paid peppercorn fees to clubs over the years and spend thousands on each training day. The reality is they have no approved ranges of their own so need to be charged accordingly per shooter per day at a much more commercial rate to cover things like new range certification processes and compliance.

I would be interested in hearing what others think is a reasonable cost for a full day of work related training !!
    Agreed, take the cost of the crap coming down and get it back in fees, mind you cleaning up after they leave is going to cost as well!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Agreed, take the cost of the crap coming down and get it back in fees, mind you cleaning up after they leave is going to cost as well!
    all that free brass!!!!! oh what a chore....

And cleaning up the target area and donut wrappings and water bottles, giving back the left over Glocks etc
    mikee, Steve123, keneff and 2 others like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Not just brass. Their range housekeeping after shooting may have improved but a range I used to shoot on was used by police mid week. We always knew they had been as we usually picked up the odd live round left behind.

At any rate they're not unique in that respect. At my current range I can usually pick up unfired 22 rounds.
    And the water filled drink bottles half shot at, flapping paper targets breaking away from staples, paper targets blowing around on the ground, benches absolutely covered in fired cartridge cases, mostly 22s but not always. Rant over....
    Maca49 and Micky Duck like this.

Free Brass-- I shoot stock standard Cals, 308 & 223 amazing how much once fired free brass you can gather.
    Guy with a guided hunting business would regularly leave 7mmo8 once fired brass 100s at a time. No problem sizing to 308 and a safe transaction as well. Great hunting ammo.
    Micky Duck likes this.

OK, so Macas out there doing it, showing us how nice it is to shoot his 6.5. That's what it's all about.
    Maca49 likes this.

thats the trap,you just fell into...... instead of the police then seeing you and fellow shooters as good/nice/responsible chaps who know how to shoot and are fine fellows to be around on a range...you create an us and them situation and you become "the arseholes who kicked us off their range"
    plenty of folks on here bitch and moan police dont handle firearms often enough or well enough........think about that for 2 seconds..... then re-read what you posted.

yes I understand folks are pissed off and the new rules are dumb dumb and more dumb.....but creating further devide isnt going to help.
    When did the Police ever stand up for civilian firearm owners?
    not after Aramoana
    not after Christchurch
    not after the current "tranche" of regulations strangling our sport

The officers at my local Police Station are a great bunch of guys who are an asset to our community, but look at their Union rep Chris Cahill, he despises LFO's and has never given us any support.
    To the best of my knowledge Police have never contributed to the building or maintaining of any range facility for civilian use.

We didn't create the divide. The local cops know that we are responsible members of the community, but their organisation sees us as the problem.
    Sure they can use our range for a day. Invoice payable by the 20th.
    mikee, Maca49, erniec and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by small_caliber View Post
    Once you start making a profit from charging for the use of a range then you become liable under OSH, which also means the RO's and the owners/operators of the range would be liable under OSH.

If you say you are just covering costs then you would most likely be required to quantify the costs to show you aren't a commercial entity making a profit.
    Unfortunately that is wrong , all you need to do is to charge for a service or sell things plenty of businesses never make a profit . And RO"s have always been liable if something goes wrong.
    The new rules are going to be more comprehensive than many will realize with an RO present at all times just the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    When did the Police ever stand up for civilian firearm owners?
    not after Aramoana
    not after Christchurch
    not after the current "tranche" of regulations strangling our sport

The officers at my local Police Station are a great bunch of guys who are an asset to our community, but look at their Union rep Chris Cahill, he despises LFO's and has never given us any support.
    To the best of my knowledge Police have never contributed to the building or maintaining of any range facility for civilian use.

We didn't create the divide. The local cops know that we are responsible members of the community, but their organisation sees us as the problem.
    Sure they can use our range for a day. Invoice payable by the 20th.
    see that it too simplified "the police" covers every body from the top brass down to the tea lady..... frontline staff,the thin blue line are mostly good folks and have my respect...... they welcome to shoot at same place I do and I would go out of my way to help out any way I can...top brass,not so much...tea lady??? white with none thanks.
    10-Ring likes this.

see that it too simplified "the police" covers every body from the top brass down to the tea lady..... frontline staff,the thin blue line are mostly good folks and have my respect...... they welcome to shoot at same place I do and I would go out of my way to help out any way I can...top brass,not so much...tea lady??? white with none thanks.
    My experience would be “piss off your not welcome” scared you might take photos
    mikee and blake like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

You won't find .308 brass any more after cops have been there. That cal was deemed overkill and they stick with .223 now as well as the 9x19 for the Glocks. The .223 brass is all crimped now (never used to be) so needs extra processing

Surely the Police would have to supply their own RO so wouldn't they be accountable for OSH?
    Maca49 and keneff like this.