Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By BMcB
  • 1 Post By Tankd
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 2 Post By Gillie

Thread: Teach me PRS? Feilding based

Teach me PRS? Feilding based

Anyone want to take me under there wing and teach me some PRS?
    I had some money to burn a while back so built a rifle for a bita fun, shoots some gongs etc.. however would really like to give PRS or some sort of competitive shooting a go. Looking for someone who I could go along with to an event and they can show me the ropes, or a few sessions at the range to dial in what I need to know, or whatever you recommend

Basically just want an excuse to put some rounds down hah. Let me know

Join the Cheltenham rifle club would be my suggestion. They're just up the road

Get all the guidance you can by all means but don't be afraid to just enter a match. Most PRS shooters are pretty friendly and are happy to see another keen gun on point.watch some YouTube videos, learn to use a ballistics app on your phone, buy a cheap wind meter and get into it. If you ask nicely people will share ranging data and shooter aids like bags and tripods.
    Mick Hunter likes this.

If you are realy keen the South Island is the place for PRS , but the travel/expenses are a killer. That then leaves either the Waioru outfit ( not quite sure if they are still operating ) or you can go the TLRS/GPRE route . the only problem with them is that the GPRE fellow is basicaly a snake i.e two faced .
    BRADS likes this.

Your in the right spot mate. Anthony Cowley just took PRS NZ under his wing. He and several of the match direectors just started the 2024 series. Google him, Kiwi Precision, he even hosts training sessions and such.

Join PRS NZ and start attending matches. There will be mat hes on both islands.

The great thing about PRS is that you get to be able to study the rules and classes from the web. Everyone all over the world follows the same rules and standards.

Even though Anthony is a very good and very busy shooter hes always willing to give advice and pointers.

If you have a rifle that's all set up and you have you dope/drops all sorted out, then best bet is to just enter a match.

You should be able to borrow a bunch of different gear and get a lot of guidance.
    If you search for TLRS (Taranaki Long Range Shooters) on Facebook you might be able to enter the Ahititi Long range match they are holding this month.

You can find out a heap of information using Google/YouTube but it's pretty hard to know where to start without any context, attending a match is the best way to get started.
    Mick Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    If you are realy keen the South Island is the place for PRS , but the travel/expenses are a killer. That then leaves either the Waioru outfit ( not quite sure if they are still operating ) or you can go the TLRS/GPRE route . the only problem with them is that the GPRE fellow is basicaly a snake i.e two faced .
    I would’ve said Central NI was the place to be for PRS in NZ, that’s unless there are a tonne of SI events that I’ve never seen advertised.
    Not sure I’d call GPRE two faced, but I’m guessing you have had some sort of run in with them in the past.
    lau lau likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    As Jaco mentioned, PRS NZ has started back up again under Anthony. It looks like there will be at least three PRS events in the North Island and three in the South in 2024.

Follw them and see about the events:
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=61555721584796
    https://www.precisionrifleseries.co.nz/
    Beetroot and Moutere like this.
    You cannot miss fast enough!
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GPREventsNZ
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgil045

Greetings,
    Joining a NRA range like Cheltenham Rifle Club would be my suggestion. FPR Class is not unlike PRS in equipment and the electronic scoring and down range velocity readings would help greatly in getting your trajectory nailed down.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Cheers all. Will follow along PRS NZ as it develops.
    Was going to give Cheltenham range a go as well, was a little unsure of their system, but will call in on a day.