Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: What exactly is a MOA rifle??

Wots mag capacity got to do with it? When I am load developing or shooting for groups I single load my magazine rifles at any rate, regardless of their mag capacity.
    Wirehunt likes this.

Fulla
    Just shoot one round. Then you can truly claim one hole accuracy.
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Wots mag capacity got to do with it? When I am load developing or shooting for groups I single load my magazine rifles at any rate, regardless of their mag capacity.
    I shoot hunting rifles so if it wont shoot from the mag it is no use to me, secondly what point is a 5 shot group(or 10 or 20) on a rifle that will never be able to fire 5 shots in a row?
    But mainly barrel heat, mines hotter than I like after 3 shots.
    gadgetman, mikee and Maca49 like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I shoot hunting rifles so if it wont shoot from the mag it is no use to me, secondly what point is a 5 shot group(or 10 or 20) on a rifle that will never be able to fire 5 shots in a row?
    But mainly barrel heat, mines hotter than I like after 3 shots.
    Yeah can I understand all that and I too possess one sizzler but single loading it rather than out of the mag has never affected my shooting position or my shooting ability.The original point was repositioning part way thru the group when the mag emptied not an overheating barrel?

The prob is heat, anymore than 3 shots one after the other, with a suspressor on is heat haze off the barrel, when I can't see I shoot like Pete. I shoot my 17 HMR out to, longest shot on rabbit 184 metres. That rifle happily shoots 1/2 squares at 100 metres, subject to conditions, I've sold a few rifles because they won't shoot factory ammo into an 1" at 100 metres. But they're out there, my Sako 6.5 is consistently that accurate on different factory ammo, the 204, for long range bunnies, looks the berries after just a few rounds, will try again this weekend. No I don't want to reload. Many guys I have seen are not interested in MOA because deer are a fairly big target. Rabbits a 200+ for my 67 yr old eyes ain't!! Your scope adds to your ability as well!!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

sneakywaza I got
    I won't keep a rifle that won't hit a tennis ball at 300yds. I've had lots of rifles that will do just that. Some sold to people on here. It's just not that hard to shoot inch or better if the rifle is well set up to start with.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yeah can I understand all that and I too possess one sizzler but single loading it rather than out of the mag has never affected my shooting position or my shooting ability.The original point was repositioning part way thru the group when the mag emptied not an overheating barrel?
    Well both hence the reference to lightweights and large game calibers.
    Nothing wrong with single loading if you like I just like to shoot from the mag then I don't have to take my eye off the target and it is how it is shot in the field so it is how I shoot it on the range.
    I did fire a ten shot group once but that was from a rifle I owned with a truck axle sized barrel and a 10 shot magazine.....it didn't tell me anything the multitude of 3 shot groups hadn't already.
    Note again I am talking hunting rifles.

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by suthy View Post
    I know this might seem like a silly question but here goes anyway. At what point can you call you rifle a MOA rifle?
    If it can take down one of these big bastards at 100 paces then I would call it a MOA rifle

Name:  643_giant-moa_sameerprehistorica.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  207.7 KB
    P38, sako75, veitnamcam and 12 others like this.

Have been unable to locate any moa to test mine. Perhaps there too much supplejack for them where I hunt
    P38 and GravelBen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nevereadyfreddy View Post
    Have been unable to locate any moa to test mine. Perhaps there too much supplejack for them where I hunt
    1080 bro
    P38, veitnamcam and Pengy like this.

ebf
    Ryan, you are confusing minute of angle with minute of Moa
    sako75 and Maca49 like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

It's where the first shot goes that I am interested in if the POA and POI are not the same then that is a problem, a test I would like to do is what one of the LAPD SWAT operators does he fires one
    shot the same target every morning to check his POA/POI at the end of the week he expects a one hole group, I would like a rifle built by the LAPD gunsmith,
    In the summer I might just do that test.
    Savage1 and Shearer like this.

I consider, a rifle that can shoot 4-5 shot groups, consistently over multiple targets, on several days to be MOA, ive got a few that I can do this with and several more that I get a good group and then blow out to 1-5-2" next time out, good trigger, I think make the biggest difference, on weather I can get consistent results.
    Take a look at the results, I getting on my Cooper Model 51, I very impressed. esp as its shoots all bullets, I have tried in the 65-75gr weight into the same spot, shot both 75gr groups and then the 65gr v-max
    Name:  IMG_0810.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  307.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_0812.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  320.9 KBName:  IMG_0811.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  361.6 KB
    gadgetman and Carpe Diem like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    It's where the first shot goes that I am interested in if the POA and POI are not the same then that is a problem, a test I would like to do is what one of the LAPD SWAT operators does he fires one
    shot the same target every morning to check his POA/POI at the end of the week he expects a one hole group, I would like a rifle built by the LAPD gunsmith,
    I do that without getting out of bed!!
    Hunt4life likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Exactly.
    A good "group" in a hunting rifle is only any use if you miss the first shot or have multiple targets. Either way, success with the 2nd and 3rd shots are more a matter of marksmanship than increments of rifle accuracy.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.