Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg

Thread: Terminator muzzle brakes VS suppressors

Terminator muzzle brakes VS suppressors

Here is a comparison I did today using the 22 Terminator & two of my brakes & two suppressors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yEcdeO8Nw

Nice demonstration Greg .
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Nice demonstration Greg .
    Thanks, looking forward to doing one with a bigger calibre so the slide really moves

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Very interesting
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Here is a comparison I did today using the 22 Terminator & two of my brakes & two suppressors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32yEcdeO8Nw
    I bet if you added the weight of the suppressors to the rifle for the un braked / un suppressed test, the movement would be the same. So it is just perceived recoil reduction suppressors users are getting (Due to the noise reduction)

From now on I am going to refer to suppressors as - PLACEBO

Placebo effect: Also called the placebo response. A remarkable phenomenon in which a placebo -- a fake treatment, an inactive substance like sugar, distilled water, or saline solution -- can sometimes improve a patient's condition simply because the person has the expectation that it will be helpful.

No, it would have less effect than a suppressor, remember there are lots of gasses flying out of the muzzle, effectively making it a rocket engine, thrusting it back into you. A suppressor catches these, as the create a lot of the bang, in its baffles and releases them slowly. So there is more felt recoil reduction than just weight and perception.
    A brake is more effective as it reverses the direction of these gasses and uses them to pull the rifle forward.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    No, it would have less effect than a suppressor, remember there are lots of gasses flying out of the muzzle, effectively making it a rocket engine, thrusting it back into you. A suppressor catches these, as the create a lot of the bang, in its baffles and releases them slowly. So there is more felt recoil reduction than just weight and perception.
    A brake is more effective as it reverses the direction of these gasses and uses them to pull the rifle forward.
    @Kiwi Greg can you do another video with the placebo weight added to the rifle?

@Spudattack the rifle weight also reduces felt recoil. So a ???g can will reduce recoil.
    Last edited by kokako; 12-04-2015 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Yep but only a very small amount.

This video from ages ago done before I got a video camera was a big eye opener to both myself & a mate there at the time.

I did it several times before I videoed it with my camera, we couldn't believe what was happening.

I have done similar things many times since then & all show about the same about of recoil reduction from a suppressor.

Certainly no where near the amount of recoil reduction anecdotal comments suggest.

Here is a quick video I did yesterday with the ASE & DPT suppressors on the 280 & 30-06 imp max.

The little rifles are nicer to use with a suppressor than brake as the recoil is still manageable.

Spotting you own shots in the field would still be difficult without a great position.

I'm still surprised by the number of T1 & T2 brakes than end up on .223-308 calibres

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Yep but only a very small amount.

This video from ages ago done before I got a video camera was a big eye opener to both myself & a mate there at the time.

I did it several times before I videoed it with my camera, we couldn't believe what was happening.

I have done similar things many times since then & all show about the same about of recoil reduction from a suppressor.

Certainly no where near the amount of recoil reduction anecdotal comments suggest.

Here is a quick video I did yesterday with the ASE & DPT suppressors on the 280 & 30-06 imp max.

The little rifles are nicer to use with a suppressor than brake as the recoil is still manageable.

Spotting you own shots in the field would still be difficult without a great position.

I'm still surprised by the number of T1 & T2 brakes than end up on .223-308 calibres
    Thanks for posting that video Greg.

So about a 13% recoil reduction with a Suppressor then? and about 70% with your T2 brake? (as per your first post)
    It's a bit hard to get a true result from the Kimber 308 video.

Quote Originally Posted by kokako View Post
    Thanks for posting that video Greg.

So about a 10% recoil reduction with a Suppressor then? and about 70% with your T2 brake? (as per your first post)
    If you had to use percentages (which I don't like, to easy to manipulate) then yep about that.

Give or take 5%