Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Kahawai favorite uses

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    The result was fairly good, goat smell took away kahawai `s and kahawai `s smell make goat smell not that strong anymore.
    Yeah, you're not really selling it!
    Makros, Beaker, Shearer and 1 others like this.

that Kahawai smell will be alot less if you keep the outside fish slime juice off the meat and remove the lateral line meat which is the dark stuff

if bled well and cared for properly it makes fantastic "Poke"

I follow Action bronsons recipe loosely
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGqoMTER7Jw

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Yeah, you're not really selling it!
    yes chinese hot pot not something most rural kiwis will have ever had - but in good restaurant really good - large pot of hot stock is put on table and normally heated with a burner of some kind - all sorts of food is put out on table - various meats finely sliced - sea food and sliced veges noodles etc - one puts some into the simmering stock and then after a few minutes it is taken out and eaten - diners have their own plates etc - at a good restaurant and quality stock really really good - flavor builds as night goes on - and can be done at home- totally recommend - most good chinese restaurants will serve it but may not be on menu in english -not many kiwis know what it is or how good it can be -

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    yes chinese hot pot not something most rural kiwis will have ever had - but in good restaurant really good - large pot of hot stock is put on table and normally heated with a burner of some kind - all sorts of food is put out on table - various meats finely sliced - sea food and sliced veges noodles etc - one puts some into the simmering stock and then after a few minutes it is taken out and eaten - diners have their own plates etc - at a good restaurant and quality stock really really good - flavor builds as night goes on - and can be done at home- totally recommend - most good chinese restaurants will serve it but may not be on menu in english -not many kiwis know what it is or how good it can be -
    Yes, a steamboat and it's great, but the goat and kahawai version sounds heinous!

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Has anyone tried bottling it ? One point or tip I was given was to hang the marinaded fillets out in a breeze overnight to dry them down a bit before smoking. Havent tried it yet but I am sure that will be good advice because a lot of moisture comes out of them
    I am lucky to have a couple of lady friends that cook for me most weeks. One is Chinese, the other a Thai. They both sun dry meat and fish before cooking it, and I have to say it in mostly bloody yummy
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Bait👍
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

smoked a few fillets the other day...came out moister than would have liked as was impatient and didnt want to leave it any longer before cooking it...good tucker... look forward to pulling some out and getting Mrs to make me fish pie...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    smoked a few fillets the other day...came out moister than would have liked as was impatient and didnt want to leave it any longer before cooking it...good tucker... look forward to pulling some out and getting Mrs to make me fish pie...
    yum when we were culling we got 3 months food in one hit - so 3 months in week of and 3 months again - we got tinned kahawai in a white sauce in oval cans - we made a fish pie with mashed potato on top - bloody good - made a real change from venison every night - well when wild pork was not on menu
    Pengy, Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

The French have a recipe for smoked fish, called "brandade" - the English often use salted cod in their version of this dish, but I steer clear of salted fish. I've made this with caught and smoked kahawai. It's very moreish.