Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: my rem 700 3006

my rem 700 3006

Hey Guys just doing a little thread on my 3006 journey.
    picked up this rem 700 a couple of years ago it had been floated and pillar bedded and shot real nice I kind of fell in love with the calibre and as such I sold all the other calibres and am now using it as a do it all rifle.
    so far I have had it threaded and suppressed and upgraded the optics to a new Burris 3x15 x45 with nice Burris rings.
    I would like to cerakote it to protect it from surface rust (I seem to be hunting In the wet a bit...)
    i think the next stage for me will be fluting the barrel and bolt and making the rifle lighter. would love to hear if you have done anything similar and recommendations to who you have used etc
    Name:  20211125_121033.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  3.77 MBName:  20211116_181342.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  2.64 MB
    jakewire, Chicken, Woody and 5 others like this.

Name:  20200620_090030~2.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  3.90 MB

The 3006 is a great do it all calibre. If you want to drop weight, best option would be a CF stock. Is the stock in picture a McMillan? Or standard REM factory ?
    Blisters likes this.

Stug did a stock for me in a short action.
    It now feels like a .22
    The CF stocks do drop the weight.
    Mind you I have Win Featherweight in wood and it isn't hefty either.
    Micky Duck and Blisters like this.

What type of ammo are you running it on?

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    The 3006 is a great do it all calibre. If you want to drop weight, best option would be a CF stock. Is the stock in picture a McMillan? Or standard REM factory ?
    standard rem factory not toooo bad really and the work has been done to it..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
    What type of ammo are you running it on?
    started with the sako factory butha e followed a recipe given to me by Richard from serious shooters using 165gn projectiles. seems to go alright. wouldn't mind loading some down too

Fluting will only lighten your wallet. The weight loss is probably only in the same league as one or 2 rounds less in the mag, ditching the bipod or changing to a lighter scope if you have one are easier and more effective options. A carbon fibre stock would give good weight reduction.
    Think that's heavy, try a Weatherby vanguard.
    Micky Duck, Blisters and paremata like this.

What projectiles you running in it ? I'm new to 30-06 I'm currently running 178gn eldms so far so good, I would normally settle on a lighter projectile say 165ish but needs musts. So far it's been very effective.
    #DANNYCENT

Fluting is going reduce weight by 120 ish grams .
    Bolt fluting , 50 ish grams.
    Carbon fibre stock will save you 200 to 400 grams depending on the weight of your current stock

I don't think going too light in a 30 06 is a good idea. Bit of weight helps soak up the recoil

ya beat me to it steve........ if you looking at some lighter loads...eg down loads.....125-130grn projectiles will let you reduce recoil and still have good killing power,for goats/fallow/wallabies /red hinds/yearlings they will be awesome..... I did some 125grn taipans for a mate,he was decapitating goats with them....
    nearly bought dirty06 but stuck with .270 as have heaps of projectiles for it.
    lighter loads for small stuff...cast loads for plinking and on big stuff what ever you like,recoil doesnt even factor when see a big red.
    bog standard 150grn hornady interlocts work very well.
    FRST and Blisters like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    ya beat me to it steve........ if you looking at some lighter loads...eg down loads.....125-130grn projectiles will let you reduce recoil and still have good killing power,for goats/fallow/wallabies /red hinds/yearlings they will be awesome..... I did some 125grn taipans for a mate,he was decapitating goats with them....
    nearly bought dirty06 but stuck with .270 as have heaps of projectiles for it.
    lighter loads for small stuff...cast loads for plinking and on big stuff what ever you like,recoil doesnt even factor when see a big red.
    bog standard 150grn hornady interlocts work very well.
    I've got a M1917 and a Howa with a boyds stock. Both reasonably heavy. the M1917 is nicer to shoot coz of the weight but the howa kicks pretty hard with the 180 grains. It will be a pisser when I run out of corlokt as I'll have to change to super x which has a different POI to the 180sst's.

strange that as the 180grn winchester is pussy to shoot in .308...bog std power point projectiles kill really well.
    and I shoot 170grns in my howa from same sized case just narrower pipe without noticing recoil LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    strange that as the 180grn winchester is pussy to shoot in .308...bog std power point projectiles kill really well.
    and I shoot 170grns in my howa from same sized case just narrower pipe without noticing recoil LOL.
    Have you tried round nose 170 or 180s in the 308? A couple of overseas forums have threads from guys using them for bush hunting and eating them for closer range knockdown .
    Pack out heavy