Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Remington model 341 sportsmaster circa 1936-40

Remington model 341 sportsmaster circa 1936-40

Well today I recieved an odd phone call at work....
    An older chap I worked with for the past 14 years who had retired about 6 months ago called and wanted to catch up....this is not unusual as we still maintain contact but out of the blue he asks me "you still got your FAL ?"
    I said yes of course, he then went on to tell me about his great grandfathers old .22 and how he had found it whilst clearing out some old storage.
    He is not of the firearms community but vaguely recollected shooting rabbits with it as a young fella, no idea what it was other than bolt action and tube fed.....
    Anyway he says to me look I don't have a FAL nor do my children and they are unlikely to ever get one as no interest.
    Would you like it ??? I told him well of course I'm intrigued by the description and knowing his age I knew it would be old.
    I asked him what he wanted for it and was politely told no it's not for sale, I want you to have it as my other option is to surrender it and I'd rather it went to someone I know and will appreciate it.
    Well I went straight round after work wondering what I would be confronted with and after a little inspection and goohle searching I discovered it to be a Remington model 341 sportsmaster.
    The stock is actually pretty tidy for a rifle manufactured in the mid 30s.
    The barrel and tube mag have a bit of surface rust which I hope to tidy up with some advice from @akaroa1
    The bore however is mint.
    It has no dovetails or scope mounts only irons and I think that makes it one of the earlier ones ?
    When I inspected it I couldn't get it to load from the mag but it was very dry in the action having not been shot in at least 20 years or there abouts.
    I took it home pulled the action from the stock and gave it a thorough clean with some solvent and a fine scrubber brush then lubed it up.....and wow what a silky smooth action that now feeds perfectly.
    I hope to clean it up and get it shooting and would love to hear any thoughts on its history and value as I feel it's important to tell my friend what it's worth just incase, as I just don't know anything about them.
    Looking forward to putting some rounds through it, it also came with about 1000 rounds of very old ammo of various breeds, I don't know if they are safe to shoot or if there is collectable value in them but I don't think I'll shoot them.
    Anyway enough ysbbering here are some pics, love to hear your thoughts people.

Name:  20200722_201842.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  4.29 MB
    oraki and 40mm like this.
    #DANNYCENT

More pics

Name:  20200722_201858.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  5.07 MB

Name:  20200722_201914.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  4.15 MB

Name:  20200722_201932.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  5.54 MB
    oraki likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

More again

Name:  20200722_202422.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  4.09 MB

Name:  20200722_202559.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  4.01 MB

Name:  20200722_202109.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  4.24 MB
    Micky Duck and oraki like this.
    #DANNYCENT

More still

Name:  20200722_201956.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  4.55 MB

Name:  20200722_202017.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  4.48 MB

Name:  20200722_202821.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  5.04 MB
    #DANNYCENT

Score

@dannyb Nice rifle

Remind me in the weekend to find the elevation slider for you as I'm away working

Cheers
    dannyb likes this.

if its anything like the single shot remington I had of similar vintage it will be very accurate....
    you look after her,that old lady deserves a good home.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if its anything like the single shot remington I had of similar vintage it will be very accurate....
    you look after her,that old lady deserves a good home.
    Feel pretty honored to be her new custodian, I have told the old chap I'll never sell her and if things change she can be returned to his family....hoping to get him to come out and shoot it for old times sake
    Micky Duck and planenutz like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Very accurate rifles, good shooters. Me thinks you owe that man a beer. And long may the stories continue as you continue to keep in contact.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Very accurate rifles, good shooters. Me thinks you owe that man a beer. And long may the stories continue as you continue to keep in contact.
    Single malt he's a gentleman of fine taste
    planenutz likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

the bolt on her looks similar to what mine was...it locks by the handle only..eg handle is THE lug....mine loved winchester superspeed,power point not so much. I learnt to run mine with a little oil on bolt,it had habit of accumulating unburnt powder around bolt after a hundred or more rounds and on occasion would set this off...black face comedy at its finest...soon learnt to keep clean. I see you have no ramp under sight...plenty of then about.I used to have my rear sight high and sat pip of foresight in very bottom of groove on what I wanted to hit...head shot many many possums with it and meat hunted goats too. should never have sold it...
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I see you have no ramp under sight...plenty of then about.
    Correct already have one of the forum GC's on the scrounge sorting it for me
    Cant wait to test her out
    #DANNYCENT

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Correct already have one of the forum GC's on the scrounge sorting it for me
    Cant wait to test her out
    On the subject of rear sight elevators, I found one in my wallet just before, and reckon it belongs to that lever of yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dannyb likes this.

Good score! Probably only worth $100-150 in that condition as a shooter. I had a Remington model 33 single shot, earlier than your 341 and it shot very well with modern ammo (given the iron sights).

Some of your ammo may be collectible especially mint condition, full boxes of unusual stuff like the UMC Palma.
    dannyb likes this.

Shot my first Hare with one of those.
    dannyb likes this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"