Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 1 Post By No good names left
  • 6 Post By chainsaw
  • 8 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By Finnwolf
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By Steve123
  • 3 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Another Slap on the Wrist

Another Slap on the Wrist

I read this disappointing article in the ODT this morning, although I shouldn't be surprised:

March 04, 2024, Otago Daily Times

AN ‘‘ enraged’ ’ Hawea man without a firearms licence fired a shot in anger after seeing another group of hunters in the Remarkables.

Isaac Roberto Macdonald-Maynard , 24, was guiding three people on a hunting trip in the Otago mountain range on March 31, 2022, when he saw the other hunting party about 400m away. A police summary of facts says he recognised two of them as hunters he had guided in the same location the year before. He became ‘‘ enraged they had returned to the same spot, and began yelling obscenities and abuse at them’ ’ before firing a shot into the ground near him.

At a hearing in the Queenstown District Court last week, the apprentice builder was sentenced on charges of recklessly discharging a firearm and unlawfully possessing a firearm, as well as two charges of suspended driving. Although suspended because of excess demerit points, the defendant was caught driving twice in the space of a week: the first time while speeding on the Manuka Gorge Highway on February 11 last year, and the second time in Frankton Rd, Queenstown. On the latter occasion, he told police he was on his way back from the Glenorchy area after helping in the search for a friend who had gone missing while hunting.

Counsel Megan Waller asked Judge Russell Walker to discharge the defendant without conviction on the firearms charges and the second suspended driving charge. He had fired one shot into the ground to alert the other hunting party he was in the area, and had not intended to frighten or intimidate them. Convictions would reduce the likelihood of his firearms licence being reinstated, and therefore his ability to return to his previous work as a hunting guide, Ms Waller said. They would also have consequences for overseas travel, particularly to Canada, Ms Waller said.

Prosecuting Sergeant Ian Collin said Macdonald-Maynard had lost his firearms licence in 2021 because of behaviour that had led to him failing the legal ‘‘ fit and proper person’ ’ test, not because of convictions. Therefore it was a ‘‘ flawed argument’ ’ to say the reinstatement of his licence relied on avoiding convictions. Judge Russell Walker said the defendant had seven prior convictions and an extensive demerit history. ‘‘ You don’t appear to regard rules as applying to you.’’ Additional convictions were unlikely to affect his ability to have his firearms licence reinstated, or his ability to travel to Canada. While hunting without a firearms licence, he had become angry and yelled obscenities at other hunters. ‘‘ You fired a shot that could only be intended to frighten or intimidate.’’

Macdonald-Maynard was convicted on all charges except the second suspended driving charge, for which he received a discharge without conviction. He was sentenced to 75 hours’ community work, fined $350, court costs of $130 and disqualified from driving for six months.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    I read this disappointing article in the ODT this morning, although I shouldn't be surprised:

March 04, 2024, Otago Daily Times

AN ‘‘ enraged’ ’ Hawea man without a firearms licence fired a shot in anger after seeing another group of hunters in the Remarkables.

Isaac Roberto Macdonald-Maynard , 24, was guiding three people on a hunting trip in the Otago mountain range on March 31, 2022, when he saw the other hunting party about 400m away. A police summary of facts says he recognised two of them as hunters he had guided in the same location the year before. He became ‘‘ enraged they had returned to the same spot, and began yelling obscenities and abuse at them’ ’ before firing a shot into the ground near him.

At a hearing in the Queenstown District Court last week, the apprentice builder was sentenced on charges of recklessly discharging a firearm and unlawfully possessing a firearm, as well as two charges of suspended driving. Although suspended because of excess demerit points, the defendant was caught driving twice in the space of a week: the first time while speeding on the Manuka Gorge Highway on February 11 last year, and the second time in Frankton Rd, Queenstown. On the latter occasion, he told police he was on his way back from the Glenorchy area after helping in the search for a friend who had gone missing while hunting.

Counsel Megan Waller asked Judge Russell Walker to discharge the defendant without conviction on the firearms charges and the second suspended driving charge. He had fired one shot into the ground to alert the other hunting party he was in the area, and had not intended to frighten or intimidate them. Convictions would reduce the likelihood of his firearms licence being reinstated, and therefore his ability to return to his previous work as a hunting guide, Ms Waller said. They would also have consequences for overseas travel, particularly to Canada, Ms Waller said.

Prosecuting Sergeant Ian Collin said Macdonald-Maynard had lost his firearms licence in 2021 because of behaviour that had led to him failing the legal ‘‘ fit and proper person’ ’ test, not because of convictions. Therefore it was a ‘‘ flawed argument’ ’ to say the reinstatement of his licence relied on avoiding convictions. Judge Russell Walker said the defendant had seven prior convictions and an extensive demerit history. ‘‘ You don’t appear to regard rules as applying to you.’’ Additional convictions were unlikely to affect his ability to have his firearms licence reinstated, or his ability to travel to Canada. While hunting without a firearms licence, he had become angry and yelled obscenities at other hunters. ‘‘ You fired a shot that could only be intended to frighten or intimidate.’’

Macdonald-Maynard was convicted on all charges except the second suspended driving charge, for which he received a discharge without conviction. He was sentenced to 75 hours’ community work, fined $350, court costs of $130 and disqualified from driving for six months.
    And here I was thinking that we'd be seeing a difference for the better with the new broom. Should know better by now, I suppose.

Those sort of fines would be cheaper than paying the license fees if you didn't get caught too often. Like watching a scumbag walk out of Bunnings with a weedeater without paying while the rest of us queued up and paid like idiots, No real consequences. I'm sure some people were thinking "what if I"
    Andrew46826 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    And here I was thinking that we'd be seeing a difference for the better with the new broom. Should know better by now, I suppose.
    There are laws that have to changed and put into effect before you’ll see any changes in judiciary or sentencing

Not sure what penalty you wanted? Sticking this dude in prison would likely make him worse not better.
    He's unlikely to change until he grows a brain and it dawns on him that he has buggered his rifle hunting and US/Canada travelling opportunities.

Parliament cant direct Judges, they can only change the law.
    Trout, shift14, Micky Duck and 5 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

So the boy was angry is because those guys he guided before that came back to the same spot without telling him?
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    So the boy was angry is because those guys he guided before that came back to the same spot without telling him?
    It would appear that way
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by outlander View Post
    Obviously “fit and proper” has loose interpretations going by the judge’s comments
    outlander likes this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

just waiting for the GG outcome.....its going to be a farce

Just a reminder lads let's leave Politics out of it, or the thread will be killed off like a few other recent threads.
    This is not aimed at anyone, just like to nip it in the bud now
    Bert 71 likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Just a reminder lads let's leave Politics out of it, or the thread will be killed off like a few other recent threads.
    This is not aimed at anyone, just like to nip it in the bud now
    sorry dan

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    It would appear that way
    I can `t think of why? He is a hunting guide so he should try to build his rep in local area, not ruin customers relation by shooting at them.
    Always In pursuit of my happiness...No matter the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    sorry dan
    Wasn't aimed at you, just know the type of reaction these threads generally cause
    #DANNYCENT

Did the "Firearm Prohibition order bill" get passed ? Looks like a likely contender with this article.
    outlander likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Rabbit View Post
    that is considered very poor form..no matter WHO took you into an area,you dont go back into it without consulting them first.... or nobody would ever show anyone else a place to hunt or take them for a hunt incase they come back and thrash the place..which happens unfortunately.
    but his reaction is way over the top....
    Finnwolf, Billbob and Black Rabbit like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters