Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree276Likes

Thread: Carrying firearm on doc track

Question Carrying firearm on doc track

Hi there,

I hope you're all doing well. I just have a question regarding carrying a firearms on doc tracks.

Is it socially acceptable and legally permissible to carry a rifle on DOC tracks in New Zealand, considering that these tracks are often frequented by other members of the public such as hikers? Additionally, are there specific criteria or regulations governing this practice? I've got a DOC hunting permit but I want to ensure that I don't intimidate or scare anyone on the way to my designated hunting ground.

Cheers
    Bagheera, timattalon and Arced like this.

As long as you have a hunting permit, of course you can. You have just as much right to be there as anyone else.

yes its legal..but like all other public places use a bit of discretion and heaps of common sence....over your shoulder is better than in your hands.... its one place full camo and face paint isnt a good idea at all.
    you wont appease a real Karen type...but if you are just wandering along with rifle in a safe manner..well thats just tough bickies.
    500 yards from a great walk track is in rules..other tracks you are fine.
    Billbob, Black Rabbit and TakaRat like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Carry it in a light weight gun bag on yr sholder beside your pack.Keep bolt seperate,youl be fine.Keep your hunting permit handy incase you are questioned by some off duty government employer.Wait till you get to yr hunting grounds a k away from the public track,then go hunting.
    As long as your on doc hunting land youl be fine.
    TakaRat likes this.

Fine and dandy, do it all the time...99.9% of the public have no issue and infact may even ask if you caught anything...which can be fun depending on if you want a giggle....i told some folk one day that i had caught something but it kicked the shit out of me and got away... education of the public and a laugh at same time

Hamish

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Carry it in a light weight gun bag on yr sholder beside your pack.Keep bolt seperate,youl be fine.Keep your hunting permit handy incase you are questioned by some off duty government employer.Wait till you get to yr hunting grounds a k away from the public track,then go hunting.
    As long as your on doc hunting land youl be fine.
    Gun bag? Why?

[QUOTE=Bush Basher;1544629]Gun bag? Why?[/Q
    as many have said its fine - but a gun bag nah not needed at all
    Slug, john m, outlander and 1 others like this.

[QUOTE=Barry the hunter;1544630]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    Gun bag? Why?[/Q
    - but a gun bag nah not needed at all
    Yes, that’s why I asked why?
    Micky Duck and outlander like this.

I've walked with a rifle strapped to my backpack, in full view of the public, along doc tracks. Most people are friendly and ask about hunting. Others just give a sideways glance and move on.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Micky Duck and STC like this.

MB
    I've come across trampers and mountain bikers a few times on DOC tracks in the central North Island. I've always been overtly smiley and friendly. Neither come easy to me! No issues.

I don't carry a sling so just carry it muzzle down by my side one handed when passing people. It's quite surprising how many people will stop and chat, "what are you hunting?". What sort of bullets does it shoot?" Etc. Actually very few negative encounters and I just smile and carry on as non threatening as I can. Have every lawful right to be there
    Trout, john m, quentin and 5 others like this.

No problem carrying a firearm on DOC tracks. Just take note of permit condition number 5.
    No firearm shall be discharged:
    • In the vicinity of huts, tracks, campsites, road-ends or other public places.
    • Within 500m of a Great Walk Hut or track. More about New Zealand's Great Walks.
    • In a manner that endangers, frightens or annoys members of the public, or that endangers any
    property.
    I regularly use tracks most weeks and only ever had a couple of awkward meetings with people. One was an arrogant German dude and the other was a local who reckoned it wasn’t an open hunting area, it was and I had special permits for restricted hunting areas anyway. Majority of people are interested in what you’re hunting and if you’ve had any luck.
    Go for it and get out there hunting. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    Gun bag? Why?
    Just one of those very light rifle sock bags you see on the hunting tv shows.Why,because it looks abit more discreet to the walking public.Also it protects your rifle a bit befor you get into the hunting zone or when you are camped up for a few days.
    Ranger 888, Ned and Arced like this.

as an Ex Ranger with many years of patrolling the tracks are not your worry as hunters - its at the huts where you may meet the three most dangerous types as a hunter 1) the vegan karen 2) the anti gun karen and the worst 3) the mummy karen with brood in tow - your message should be always consistent - our rifles are safe the bolts are out - our ammo is stored separately and the rifles have been put away out of sight - especially important if you crack a few cans - set a standard with your rubbish and behaviour and we all benefit - happy hunting and meeting the 3 karens

I carry a small trigger lock for when I'm in a hut as I use a single shot so no bolt to remove.
    Trout, Mistral, rugerman and 6 others like this.
    Happy Jack.