Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Greek Brass Quality

Greek Brass Quality

A mate gave me some fired Greek brass that I cleaned. Check the state of it. Vendors need to up their QC game.Name:  08A9B3C7-A17E-4117-BFE1-7FD2BCA419F9.jpeg
Views: 395
Size:  1.39 MB

That's bad! I've got some loaded stuff which is tarnished but haven't found any pitting.
    Have had to pull a few for a few issues. Clumped powder, loose projectile etc.
    Definitely don't shoot it unless you check each round.

Agreed. I simply biffed the spent brass into my st@inless pin tumbler after depriming, pocket cleaning and neck sizing. That’s when I discovered these.

Alot of the Greek brass is shagged. Something has happened to it for it to go brittle. Seeing alot of it at the tail end of the ammo that's left. I have a lot of it that has no neck tension which I have been pulling and reloading the powder and bullet into good brass.
    Ingrid 51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Alot of the Greek brass is shagged. Something has happened to it for it to go brittle. Seeing alot of it at the tail end of the ammo that's left. I have a lot of it that has no neck tension which I have been pulling and reloading the powder and bullet into good brass.
    Bit of a bugger, I brought 200 a year or so ago with the hopes primarily of using the brass after firing. Might not get much life out of them!
    Also might have to buy a .303 broken shell extractor before I actually need one!

Have wet tumbled the 50 odd I've fired and the brass looks great otherwise.

A friend of mine sighted his SMLE at my place during the weekend, and had a few cases rupture and one round hangfire. What is the headstamp on these Greek cases? Are they late 60's-early 70's?

Quote Originally Posted by schwen View Post
    A friend of mine sighted his SMLE at my place during the weekend, and had a few cases rupture and one round hangfire. What is the headstamp on these Greek cases? Are they late 60's-early 70's?
    HXP mid 60’s to early 70’s
    schwen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingrid 51 View Post
    A mate gave me some fired Greek brass that I cleaned. Check the state of it. Vendors need to up their QC game.Attachment 202320
    These Gun City guys need a kick in the pants from the Arms officers about this. The early stuff was good quality but its gradually been getting worse.

They should be sorting the crap rounds out from the better stuff. They can at least recover the projectiles.

We might all think its cheap ammo but what happens when one of our mates has a catastrophic failure because of the crap state of the corroded brass.

A question for everyone. Do Gun City have a responsibility under their dealers license to only sell safe and fit ammo?

I took stuff back that I wasn't happy with and got a refund. (Bronco's not G City)
    Be reminded though that they are not selling it as reloadable brass, merely mil surp that goes bang.

If you sort through the crap some of it's alright, I'm over 10 reloads on some of it without annealing.

Apparently the primers are not just corrosive after they go bang, the stuff the bang bit is made of apparently over time causes the brass to give up it's zinc - which seems to be the bit on the bottom when it's stored for 50-60 years. Brass minus zinc is not very good, break apart with your fingers type stuff. It's quite common in marine applications where brass that isn't 'marine grade' or more bronze than brass goes pink and weak.

Quote Originally Posted by No.3 View Post
    Apparently the primers are not just corrosive after they go bang, the stuff the bang bit is made of apparently over time causes the brass to give up it's zinc - which seems to be the bit on the bottom when it's stored for 50-60 years. Brass minus zinc is not very good, break apart with your fingers type stuff. It's quite common in marine applications where brass that isn't 'marine grade' or more bronze than brass goes pink and weak.
    The primers in this ammunition are none corrosive

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    I took stuff back that I wasn't happy with and got a refund. (Bronco's not G City)
    Be reminded though that they are not selling it as reloadable brass, merely mil surp that goes bang.
    If this is correct then they are admitting that the brass is faulty which is a disgrace. A phone call to the arms office will sort that out
    Some guys clearly don’t value their dealers licence.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    If this is correct then they are admitting that the brass is faulty which is a disgrace. A phone call to the arms office will sort that out
    I don,t think it’s that simple, most shops give refunds if customers are not happy with the product, does not mean the product is faulty, just the customer is unhappy.
    Beware what you are asking for with getting the arms office involved, If we rang the arms office every time we here a stupid remark from a customer the number of customers /firearms owners would drop dramatically.
    Cyclops and schwen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    They're probably totally clueless.