Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Hunter admits accidentally shooting wife

Banned

Hunter admits accidentally shooting wife

Hunter admits accidentally shooting wife - National - NZ Herald News

A duck hunter has admitted accidentally shooting his wife at their Queenstown home.

The man, who has interim name suppression, appeared in the Queenstown District Court this morning charged with careless use of a firearm causing bodily injury.

His wife, who spent two weeks recovering in Dunedin Hospital, sat beside him in the public gallery before the case was called.

Prosecuting Sergeant Ian Collin told the court the man had been refamiliarising himself with his Browning Maxus 12-gauge shotgun in his garage on April 10, ahead of the duck-shooting opening weekend in May.

"In explanation, the defendant said he thought he had handled that particular firearm only once before.''

Sgt Collin said the man holds a current New Zealand firearms licence and the gun was stored in a safe.

The court heard the man loaded the weapon with shells and believed he had then completely unloaded it. But as he began to dismantle it, it fired.

"He stated he must have had his finger on the trigger.''

Sgt Collin said unbeknown to the man, his wife had entered the garage through the access door and come around their car.

She was shot. The distance away she was or the number of pellets which hit her were not mentioned in court.

The man helped his wife and called an ambulance. He spoke to police and then went to be with her in hospital.

"He was extremely remorseful and shocked.''

The man pleaded guilty to the charge but a conviction was not entered. Lawyer Louise Denton said she intended to apply for a discharge without conviction.

The man's name and occupation have been suppressed on the grounds he would experience undue hardship were the details made public.

The discharge without conviction application was due to be heard on June 12. The man has been remanded at large.

- Otago Daily Times
    TheChosenOne likes this.

Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded - FAIL
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction - FAIL
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire - FAIL
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt - FAIL
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone - FAIL

Good on ya mate!
    marky123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mcdeee View Post
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded - FAIL
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction - FAIL
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire - FAIL
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt - FAIL
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone - FAIL

Good on ya mate!
    Rule 4 and 5 don't apply when you're not firing intentionally really does it?

Discharge without conviction WTH-as you guys have posted he broke every bloody rule in the book.

If he gets DWC-well maybe Andrew Hore can appeal to have his slate wiped clean ,even though again paradoxically he applied for license reinstatement.

Would you want to shoot with him -only if i have eyes in my arse cheeks

This surely does defy all logic although perversely all this new arms legislation the Police NHQ and polis are trying to ram through wont be worth a knob of goat shit if a mans legal beagle can persuade "your honour"that the bloke is a decent chap and didnt check the wifeys insurance before he accidentally let one fly as she came into range" (theres a bag of fat mallards in your car sir )

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    So let's examine whether the use of the word accidentally in the headline holds up. Ask yourself "did the following happen by chance, by accident or by fluke"?

A. The loading of the shotgun.
    B. The insertion of finger into the trigger guard.
    C. The application of pressure to the trigger.

Personally, I don't think any of that is accidental. The presence of the wife in the in the line of fire may (note I think I am being generous here) be serendipitous but this bugger loaded a shotgun and caused it to discharge and nothing in that is accidental by any shake of this old man's stick. Fuck the hardship it may cause, name and shame the dickhead.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Justice must be seen to be done.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

The odd wife gets shot around these parts. Usually for being unfaithful.
    Its the first I've heard of for going in a mans garage.
    Last edited by kidmac42; 15-05-2017 at 06:25 PM.
    Pointer, Munsey, Dougie and 5 others like this.
    Ya can't park there mate.

“But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice! Verily, their souls lack more than honey. And when they call themselves the good and the just, do not forget that they would be pharisees, if only they had—power.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche
    10-Ring likes this.

Hit him with the book. A single round would be enough to check functionality so no need to load multiple rounds and lose count in any case. I dont agree with loading a firearm in your garage or in town for that matter either
    Dougie likes this.

Hang 'em first, try 'em later. Judge Roy Bean
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

the societies that reflect that ethos are the terminally stupid ones... don't be in such a hurry to identify with that..

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    “But thus I counsel you, my friends: Mistrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful. They are people of a low sort and stock; the hangmen and the bloodhound look out of their faces. Mistrust all who talk much of their justice! Verily, their souls lack more than honey. And when they call themselves the good and the just, do not forget that they would be pharisees, if only they had—power.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche
    Sorry, that mad old anti-semite or Lord Chief Justice Hewart? And not having suppression orders is a punishment now? Natural justice means nothing?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...harassment-war What about this absolute champ? Why was his job suppressed? All Blacks, and TV people and 'government employees'? Sorry mate, if an ordinary Joe like me is in the dock, his name is straight out there. We have a multi tier justice system, it's sick and twisted as. Suppression orders get sprinkled around like sweets at a Santa parade these days, and it's bullshit.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I am sure the locals around queestown will know pretty quickly who the joker was.
    Dougie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    the societies that reflect that ethos are the terminally stupid ones... don't be in such a hurry to identify with that..
    If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. Ghengis Khan

For the record, I am happy to acknowledge that my view sits to the right of both Roy and Ghengis and I am completely at ease identifying with them and their position on summary execution. I care not that you think such views to be held by the terminally stupid.
    EeeBees, kotuku, northdude and 3 others like this.

well actually... any one of you knowalls actually considered that his wife would also be adversly affected, or that the publicitiy might disproportionately punish outside of the actual seriousness of an unintentional mistake. But no,you self-important unimaginative commentators seem to think that you have the right to pass sentence without having a clue....

In so far as the quote is concerned, the only motivation that our wee self righteous twats on here have is to punish, so the Neitzsche quote is quite applicable and appropriate...

Justice has been seen to be done, how else would you know about it? - justice is the process not the outcome. And publicity is not a requirement for the justice process. Accountability has been exercised, so grow up the lot of you.... this constant predictable moronic response to these sort of things is nothing but uninformed and tedious.

And as pointed out it is the mark of the dangerous and the less than capable.....

Take the lesson here.... there is one.... but its got nothing to do with publically shaming people who make silly errors and mistakes .... you need a lesson in Mediteranian history you stone throwing bunch of Pharisees....