Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

NZGR Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree286Likes

Thread: Support for tighter Acat storage

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990 No 109 (as at 01 July 2013), Public Act – New Zealand Legislation

Life and the Security of the Person
    As part of the right to life and security of the person, the Act guarantees everyone:

"The right not to be deprived of life except in accordance with fundamental justice (Section 8)"

Means to me that I can defend that right with any means necessary.
    And lose your entire lifes earnings defending it in court....= you still lose.
    mikee and Danger Mouse like this.
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire

Chicken Intolerant.

I view the "requirements" as the minimum requirement. If you can afford to / want to do better there is nothing to stop you. I also firmly believe that if someone wants to steal my stuff I cannot stop them only make it harder..
    veitnamcam, tetawa, res and 2 others like this.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation................................but I'm not one of them

New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990 No 109 (as at 01 July 2013), Public Act – New Zealand Legislation

As part of the right to life and security of the person, the Act guarantees everyone:

"The right not to be deprived of life except in accordance with fundamental justice (Section 8)"

No, it means you can defend yourself with reasonable force. You have to be prepared to justify any such action because you should assume that you WILL be put on trial for use of lethal force.

Of course, you are NOT allowed to simply defend your property with potentially lethal force, e.g. do not send a couple of .308 rounds in the direction of fleeing cattle rustlers.

NZ is far too pink and the police won't want to give up their legal monopoly on shooting crims.
    Putting them in prison long term too keep them out of circulation is probably the only short term option.
    Let's just move along.

I suggest that regardless of the law purchasing the best security you can afford is worth it. Regardless of the outcome you will have done the best you can.

New Zealand Bill of Rights Act 1990 No 109 (as at 01 July 2013), Public Act New Zealand Legislation

Any means necessary? Really?

Why don't you talk to a lawyer and see what they say about that?
    Settings - My Account - Edit Ignore List - Add a Member to Your List - User Name - Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Any means necessary? Really?

Why don't you talk to a lawyer and see what they say about that?
    Are you a lawyer troll features?

Out if interest, can anyone reference what is actually statute law for reasonable force and/or necessary force in the defense of oneself or others?

Not wishing to offend anyone but talk of defending yourself is laughable, how many guns are stolen in home invasion?, as to breaking into safes ? How many thieves come equipped with a disc cutter ?
    I personally have broken into two safes, both required removing from the wall first, one required a drill, and a socket set, the other a drill , long punch, a near copy of the key, and a schematic of the safe, neither was a quick job.
    Having done a few quotes for customers to give to insurance company's , I would say alot of gun owners security is a joke, two I know of had safes broken into, both were in sheds away from there homes.
    But if we are to have new storage regulations then we must have new minimum sentencing for illegal possession of firearms, say a minimum of 5yrs jail time.
    As to semi auto,s, the horse has already bolted on that one, regarding a cat.

Yeah defending your castle is only going to work if you are home. I have no stats to back this up but I would assume most burglaries still happen when the residents are out. In some places in the world the crims don't care and home invasion is common.

res
    You remind me of Clinton during the "Assault Weapons" ban during the 90's in the US.

It has nothing to do with the "evil" aesthetics of firearms being attracted to a certain type of person. Your statement is so stereotypical and tasteless. It's much more simpler then that and it's to do with where the industry is headed man. Our cars are more technologically advanced & safer to drive now and so too are our firearms - Their modularity alone is endless. Hence forth I have no qualms in why I choose to use firearms with such (safety) features and the reasons behind it. I threw safety in there because I have a bad wrist... And a pistol grip helps me immensely in the operation of those types of firearms. Does that make me a weirdo because of it?

Savage was not stating his opnion, he was stating the resoning that was used when the rule was made- maybe it was valid back then and maybe it wasnt but I personly think the modern modular nature of a lot of modern firarms makes it a mute point these days
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    NZ is far too pink and the police won't want to give up their legal monopoly on shooting crims.
    Putting them in prison long term too keep them out of circulation is probably the only short term option.
    Let's just move along.

I suggest that regardless of the law purchasing the best security you can afford is worth it. Regardless of the outcome you will have done the best you can.
    Additional anti theft security does not have to be expensive to be effective. Everyone keeps going on about "this safe" and "that safe". Where some of the most effective security I have seen involved an average safe at best. But inside that safe were a number of big heavy F--K off steel eyes with a wire bike lock that passed though each magazine well and onto a big padlock. $10 to $20 per padlock, with two rifles to a padlock, and about 5 bike cables cost about $100 all up. The U/O that did not have a mag well had a Hasp and staple arrangement that meant the action / trigger was attached to the inside of the cabinet with another padlock.

If a thief has time, they can get anything. We need to make it as difficult as possible.

A cat security has a primary function of stopping those who should not be playing with them from hurting them selves- Children and people in the house etc. We can only do our best to stop theft, but we must stop a child getting access and hurting themselves or others by mistake.
    mikee likes this.

JWB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Out if interest, can anyone reference what is actually statute law for reasonable force and/or necessary force in the defense of oneself or others?
    Crimes Act 1961, section 48
    48 Self-defence and defence of another

Every one is justified in using, in the defence of himself or herself or another, such force as, in the circumstances as he or she believes them to be, it is reasonable to use.

Section 48: replaced, on 1 January 1981, by section 2(1) of the Crimes Amendment Act 1980 (1980 No 63).

They need to make the thief of firearms in a burglary a mitigating factor, mandatory minimum sentence of 5yrs+ no parole. At the moment it's a joke & the crimes know it. Get caught supplying/making meth 15yrs minimum.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Hunt4Life, thanks for bringing this case to our attention. Some points.

1. Too early to say, "luckily it didn't", don't you think?

2. Minimum A-cat security requirement by law is "sturdy construction". How does this case demonstrate the law should be tightened?
    Simply because the AO had approved the cabinet as compliant ie. of sturdy construction. Yet one solid strike with a mallet proved it wasn't so sturdy. Interpretation seems to be a common theme.

I agree the primary focus should be on significantly harsher penalties for burglary and particularly when caught with illegal possession of firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maca49 likes this.

Another great example of tougher sentencing Sentence overturned for paintball shooter who blasted group outside a bar - NZ Herald This is simply a joke, I kind of feel like our legal system is just taking the piss.