Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By avoape
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 2 Post By rockland
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 3 Post By Rich007
  • 2 Post By Woody
  • 3 Post By The bomb
  • 1 Post By Bob Da Browning

Thread: 40 meter patterns-advice please

40 meter patterns-advice please

Hi
    I have just last weekend done some patterning of my goose gun and had surprising results.
    Chokes used-pm goose,std full,carlsons turkey and muller ufo.
    shells-elegy alphamax no2 lead 3 inch.
    At 40 meters im struggling to get more than 50% in the 30 inch circle-the best was the muller ufo.

I had hoped for more-am I expecting too much? is 50% a decent average at that distance.
    I have no problems dropping Canadas at all-but can't help feeling that I need a tighter pattern.

Thanks in advance
    Avoape

try a 1/4 choke......seriously give it a go. your really tight ones arent doing the job so POSSIBLY munting a good % of the shot,making it spread,a slightly more open choke MIGHT damage them less and allow better pattern.
    if you killing honkers,all is good.see if you can find some winchester superX lead #2s they work very well on honkers.they are a 2 3/4" 1 1/4oz loading.
    or try some #3s and or #BBs

basically Im saying think outside square and you will find answer you looking for.
    hamsav and Woody like this.

Thanks for the advice. Will give it a go.
    Micky Duck likes this.

So you are getting a little under half the expected figure for a full choke.
    I'm assuming you are using lead there there should be 85 to95 pellets per oz with no 2 a heavy charge of shot say 2oz may get mashed up and spread faster.
    The idea of patterning with more open chokes is a good one. I find 3/4 gives me the best results bearing in mind that a lucky single pellet can do the business much further out.
    hamsav and Micky Duck like this.

Patterning is traditionally done at 40 yards/37 metres, shouldn't make too much difference tho.

BB, 1 and 2 shot can be tricky to get to perform. As others have said try a few different loads and shot sizes through your various chokes. I never had much joy with Alphamax lead magnums. Tried expensive Federal Premium 3" number 2's and they wouldn't hold a decent pattern through any choke in my Remington 11-87. Now I use 2 3/4" number 3 lead magnums from Falcon, Rio or Saga with good results.
    hamsav and Micky Duck like this.

Get a Patternmaster. Best invention ever for a shotgun. Put it on a Benelli and you are in heaven. I can fold swan easily with our 20g.
    Steve123 likes this.

Try a few different types of ammo, when I did this a few years back I was amazed by the difference in pattern consistency and density between ammo types
    mikee, Woody and Marty Henry like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

awesome-thanks for the replies. im thinking I have to try different ammo. tried more open chokes-it was worse. also tried the mrs Fabarm H368 and got similar numbers. maybe the Eley isn't all I hoped it would be haha.
    just for giggles I tried 2.75 bb-oooooh was that depressing.very few holes.
    so once cinders lets us out to play again I will have to wander into town and try to get some different ammo.

my gut feel tells me that no2 lead is about as small as I want to go for Canadas-anything larger too few pellets, anything smaller not enough grunt further away?

As the above chaps have suggested. Often using a lower velocity shell will markedly improve pattern. And as Mr Duck suggested try smaller lead shot. I've dumped geese with 28ga #5's with half choke at 40yards often. #5's will drop them quick if you lead off the bill , not the body. Swans the same; smaller pellets in head and neck from denser pattern work well.
    Matt2308 and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Kill geese with 1oz #4 in 20g with a full choke,lead the white cheek patch as your target like shooting a quail.get the pellets on head and neck the smaller pellets and denser pattern kill well.
    mikee, Marty Henry and Micky Duck like this.

The slower cartridges will pattern tighter which is why the winchester super x was so good in the bigger shot
    Micky Duck likes this.