Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Bob Da Browning
  • 1 Post By madds
  • 2 Post By jakesae101

Thread: beginner shooting

beginner shooting

Hey guys can I get some advice

Im keen to get into some clay target shooting but definately need some more practice before get involved in any comps etc

Do clubs have beginner or practice sessions and how much would they cost?

rr

Clubs should have a Coach who should be able to help you, cost should just be the targets & your ammo. I am a Coach & we do it to foster the sport. Coaching clinics are sometimes held by visiting Coaches who sometimes charge. Try & contact your local club or the New Zealand Claytarget Association, they have Websites
    mikee and PERRISCICABA like this.

RichieRich, where do you live?
    The Sporting boys at North Canterbury are running a monthly Sunday practice.
    They have a 'soft' field with coaching and a 'harder' field for those wanting to be challanged.
    Really good idea I must say, worked really well.
    Munsey likes this.

one of my biggest piece of advice is if you don't have a gun don't rush out and buy one. Gun fit is really really important there's normally plenty of people round to try some guns out and work what fits you and what doesn't . Most clubs will have a coaching day to help out beginners
    R93 and 308jase like this.

+1 On fit

I had the chance to try a few different guns for a while and it was great, I had my eye on a Miroku but once I picked up a few tips on shooting I realised that it just didn't fit me.....ended up with a cheap and cheerful Webley & Scott

R93
    Yup, most clubs will have a certified or nominated coach to help you start hitting a few clays.
    I'm actually off in a few minutes, to shoot at some clays for the first time since July 2011. Apart from a few ducks I haven't used the shotty much, so this should be a giggle. (2 rounds of skeet)
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by madds View Post
    RichieRich, where do you live?
    The Sporting boys at North Canterbury are running a monthly Sunday practice.
    They have a 'soft' field with coaching and a 'harder' field for those wanting to be challanged.
    Really good idea I must say, worked really well.
    Have you got dates of those Sundays etc madds ?
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

The North Canterbury shoots are on the 2nd Sunday of each month and start at 1.00pm. I have just got back from their July shoot.

The Sporting (Compak) days are below. Late morning start and some very helpful guys to show you the ropes.
    Don't be shy come along!!!

Sunday 17th August
    Sunday 14th September
    October - the shooting calendar is full so we wont hold a practice unless we can get someone to run the novice field
    Sunday 16th November (Show weekend)
    Sunday 21st December which I hope will degenerate into Christmas Compak shoot

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by madds View Post
    The Sporting (Compak) days are below. Late morning start and some very helpful guys to show you the ropes.
    Don't be shy come along!!!

Sunday 17th August
    Sunday 14th September
    October - the shooting calendar is full so we wont hold a practice unless we can get someone to run the novice field
    Sunday 16th November (Show weekend)
    Sunday 21st December which I hope will degenerate into Christmas Compak shoot
    A wee bit too hung-over, to turn up for a round of skeet were we? Never told me it was Forry's B'day ya big goob!!!

See ya on the 10th
    Last edited by R93; 16-07-2014 at 10:58 AM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

OH BUGGER SORRY!!!
    We went to the club Sunday morning which we were promised would be open at 0900/0930, too good a night before I gather!! Not to worry.
    The skeet was suposed to be 1100 but we were well gone heading for Sheffield pie country.
    Had better half with me who had endured a couple of hours the day before at the club, with Forries family shooting.
    Don't worry plenty of shooting coming up, not sure if you Coasters have Facebook yet but our club has a page and all shoots are on their as well as my mailouts:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...92728717559673