Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Field gun

Field gun

Hey all, am looking at joining in on my 2nd ever duck season this year.
    I couldn't believe how fun and social it was first time round, going from place to place.

Only shottie I have is a mav88 20" cyl bore. Yes it goes bang, have taken duck down with it.
    But I would like to look at something else more suited.

This is what I'm after.

12g under / over
    28" me thinks
    With ejectors
    Wood

Use : ducks, other small game
    Reason : I have always fancied the under over being slimple to use. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Budget : well I have been looking at this

Mossberg Silver Reserve II Field 12G O/U | MOS75435 | Kilwell Sports Ltd

That's RRP and I don't want to go that high.

Can anyone recommend others along the same lines as the Mossberg silver reserve ? Simple not after custom designs on the shottie or anything like that.

Cheers
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Really loving my Yildiz 20g
    Maca49 likes this.

Both would be good but I would suggest you could try "haunting" the local gunshops and look at S/H ones too. A good S/H Miroku or similar you might find. Just make sure if you are looking at specifically 12g guns they are proofed for steel shot use. A lot of under/overs are cheap because they cannot cope with steel shot, don't get caught.

Personally I use a 12g for clays and 20g for everything else
    Survy likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Really loving my Yildiz 20g
    Can I borrow it for the off season?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

on trade me is a very good franchi o/u 12ga,open choked so you could shoot steel up to 32gm.there is a bid at $500.this is a great gun for the money and i own and have bought a few.

Thanks lophortyx I will check it out,..... It's not your auction is it ? Lol

I do know that the best place to check them out is in the stores and size them up, I'm hoping to be able to narrow down the range that's out on the market, especially since the Turkish brands have come in, there are soo many.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Can I borrow it for the off season?
    Yeah don't see why not

ha ha. no, i do not know the owner,nor have i sighted that gun. the gun is a great looking gun and franchi's of this era are bloody well made.italians probably make the best u/o bang for buck,the japanese made miroku and brownings are great buys,but expect to pay double this amount.the choke sizes on the franchi are perfect for field shooting, just check if the stock is the right cast ie left or right hand shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Yeah don't see why not
    Deal!
    Toby likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Field gun you say?

Name:  G5.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  150.3 KB
    Bryan, Gibo, kotuku and 1 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Quote Originally Posted by Survy View Post
    Hey all, am looking at joining in on my 2nd ever duck season this year.
    I couldn't believe how fun and social it was first time round, going from place to place.

Only shottie I have is a mav88 20" cyl bore. Yes it goes bang, have taken duck down with it.
    But I would like to look at something else more suited.

This is what I'm after.

12g under / over
    28" me thinks
    With ejectors
    Wood

Use : ducks, other small game
    Reason : I have always fancied the under over being slimple to use. Slow and steady wins the race.
    Budget : well I have been looking at this

Mossberg Silver Reserve II Field 12G O/U | MOS75435 | Kilwell Sports Ltd

That's RRP and I don't want to go that high.

Can anyone recommend others along the same lines as the Mossberg silver reserve ? Simple not after custom designs on the shottie or anything like that.

Cheers
    how do your maimai mates like the short barrelled ear ringer
    i wouldnt recomend the 20 gauge in your second season hell even im going off it as a duck gun.
    ive killed a lot of geese pigeons parries with it but i struggle to centre mallards with it at times
    i want my 16 gauge back
    a good 12 o/u with multi chokes would be hard to beat for a novice 12 gauge ammo is available everywhere and in every variety to suit every damn use.
    i still think the 3 inch is unneccessary for most use so why pound yourself with it when choke changing and good load testing can probably be just as effective..
    the russian single trigger baikel while basic and heavy for it purpose is probably the most rugged reliable entry level o/u of them all .
    Last edited by gsp follower; 03-02-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    Survy likes this.

Baikals pop up all the time on TM, built like a brick shithouse and cheap to buy.

Baikal skeet 12 gauge shotgun | Trade Me

like this but this one is really expensive, can normally pick them up for about $300 odd.
    Survy likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Cool thanks for the info guys, I'll add baikals to my list to look at.
    @gps follower, never been in a maimai, that's the beauty of many farmers pulling together at duck season and going from farm to farm, with tea and cakes at every 2nd stop :-)

But it doesn't take long to spot the city fella and his 20" barrel. I'm sure they just play nice with me and say I hit the odd duck or two, even though it was prob them.

hi your russian guns are ok and will last but they are a bit heavy and seem lifeless in my hands ,the mossberg is ok now that they have sorted out the firing pin issues of the first serries ,i agree on the franchi on tm at the moment although single trigger and english stock doesnt work for me somehow they are a good gun ,i have seen some good skb,s go for around 500 and they are a very good gun for the money also look at some of the lesser known itailian guns around ie castellani,marocchi or spainish guns aya ,lanber you can get a good gun for your money if you look around if you find something and are not sure about it just give us a holla cheers
    Survy likes this.

Akkar (Turkish) are making very stylish o/u field guns all steel compatible new for around 900, plus that triple barrel one they make would be the thing for driven upland game!