Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Cynabacteria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cyanobacteria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This shit has spread around this countrys waterways fast during the dry season.

Green black weed in low flowing rivers has killed 4 dogs recently in Silverstream.

A golden lab last month in Hawkes Bay just had a dip in a pond before going to a river

Just a warning for dog owners but i'm sure most are aware of the dangers.

We came across a family last week swimming there lab in the river and he new nothing about it.

Ok I'm no scientist but I am sure the bird traffic have visited my pond and its got Cyanbacteria
    Name:  picture 1095.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  164.6 KB

Can clearly see there swimming tracks and I found this tonight must of had a drink and died.
    It wasn't shot! And I pass this pond every day so I'm thinking that shit killed it.

The last pic woudn't load but it was a rabbit that must of had a drink out of the pond.It is visable in that pic.

If any one wants to do an autopsy be my guest I bagged it and its a bit high but I'm guessing thats what killed it.
    RCD hasn't been effective here for a while.

So Watch Your Dogs Around Waterways Please!
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Scary!!!!
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Thanks. Not being from round here that's news to me.

good heads up
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Cheers Dundee, Had no idea.
    I always thought it was a harmless algae developing in still waters.
    Last edited by Petros_mk; 15-02-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Ejected
    I heard about the silverstream ones, just up the road from me. Interesting that something like this would grow there as that stream has a good flow, bit slow at this time of year but flowing.

Would fish and game be intrested in the rabbit??? or Doc???

Nope too expensive and if it kills rabbits they wouldnt mind any way , Cynobacteria or Blue-green alge or BGA is dead common in ponds , lakes and troughs through out NZ in warmer weather and when there hasnt been sufficent rainfall to dilute and wash away the spores . and is something all dog owners should be aware of , there is a lot of stuff on the net about it . A mates dog died of BGA poisioning in december a couple of years ago , so it isnt always warmer weather either
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Hey Dundee, I spoke with the farm owner (an animal nutrition researcher) and she said our dams have been treated with something they did a research trial on that kills the toxigenic cyanobacteria and other algae. I think she's got some more around and can source more if you're interested.

Blue green algae is a big issue here around home, in fact right now one of our most popular recreational lakes has about 20 times the safe levels. I'm from a predominantly agricultural area where cropping is big and high nutrient run off from fertilizers etc accompanied by low to no rainfall and high temperatures causes the perfect conditions for them. What makes it worse compared to say a green algae in terms of its reproduction is that blue green algae is single celled and so can spread much faster.
    I studied Cyanobacteria in uni and really all you can do is just wait it out. It's annoying but all you can really do is let it bloom and then die out.
    It's been a couple of years since I studied this and I didn't look at the wiki article so I may be wrong on some of this stuff now. What I do know is that it doesn't take much to kill dogs, and swimming n or eating infected fish from there can make you really crook.

Quote Originally Posted by RCGSP View Post
    Hey Dundee, I spoke with the farm owner (an animal nutrition researcher) and she said our dams have been treated with something they did a research trial on that kills the toxigenic cyanobacteria and other algae. I think she's got some more around and can source more if you're interested.
    Thanks RCGSP but i will wait it out and hope for the rain. I'm going too dispose that rabbit its pretty high this morning.
    Name:  picture 1096.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  164.0 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive