Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Recall training for a sighthound

Recall training for a sighthound

The title is a misnomer, sighthounds are the least trainable dog group as they've been bred for centuries to hunt independently.
    Nevertheless, as a breeder I know who owns both salukis amd whippets says, whippets are the most trainable sighthound (and salukis the least).

I have a whippet with a high prey drive and her lack of recall is starting to be a problem, especially since she figured out she could get through the local dog park's fence to get at the rabbits she could smell.

My aim is to get consistent recall in a non-prey drive situation. When she was a puppy we could get her to chase us by running away making whooping sounds. This still works sometimes, but only if she's bored.

Any sighthound owners out there with experience who have some gems on getting consistent recall in non-prey drive situations?

(The Sit, stay come thing is a no go - at least the sit part anyway, so the big 3 aren't in play).

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

Banned
    Check out Will Atherton on youtube
    11mms likes this.

I am going to treat this as if you know little so please no offence - yes sight hounds are difficult and many are plain dumb - but get yourself a 30 - 40 metre length of light rope and a decent whistle - a 2 metre square of ply wood - now main point -what verbal commands are given to a dog mean sweet fanny adam - and many trying to train use way to many - you need come -select one whistle and dont change it - always accompany it with a clear hand signal - a leg pat just above your knee is good - bring dog to the plywood and with a clear command stay sit the dog on it - a downwood point to the plywood is good and you could introduce a clear stay whistle - with your hand make the dog stay on plywood and ensure it sits not jump around get up etc a [U]stop is a stop [/U] when dog seems to have got that start moving away in small steps - hold out hand a nd repeat stay -this may take a little bit butt I have found two days and I can move away 50 metres and dog stays put -now start with rope -not to often bring the dog back with your come command and then stay - reward - when the dog seems to get all that its not a big step to get the dog to stop on command and stay put until you come up to it - it is after all what any good heading dog will do -
    so two commands only to start with come and stay - not sit ,come back here . bloody dog , here boy , nice dog , forget all of those - good luck
    Last edited by Barry the hunter; 17-08-2023 at 11:17 AM.

this is my go to dog trainer . . his method was very helpfull when dealing with a total fckwit dog i was training for a neighbour.
    good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jcf6NXr1FE
    Last edited by rossi.45; 17-08-2023 at 11:31 AM.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

You haven't got the big three,you have got diddly squat,dog stays on lead until you got them down pat. No excuses.thats just how it HAS to be. Eg this week rabbit next week a lamb. Boooom no more dog.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

dead right Mickey Duck -one case in Gisborne sheep getting worried close to town - was two pedigree Labradors - sight hounds i.e ridgebacks grey hounds -afghans- saluki etc need watching even more as they will chase what runs away from them -

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Eg this week rabbit next week a lamb. Boooom no more dog.
    That's my worry. Can i get away with the big 2? Stay and come? Sitting is not an option. Lie down also not ok.

Identify your target beyond all doubt because you never miss (right?) and I'll be missed.

to teach stay requires hands on the dog - hold it in position- lots of praise- you may find it easier with the plywood - gives the dog a point of reference - they do have a problem associating just a patch of grass with what you want - get those two working first- then move on - at the ned of the day what do you want the dog for - just a pet ?? - wrong breed if you have notions of an indicator - another good command to put on is leave it if you use a whistle then with that command a really loud harsh blast - if you have a neighbour with sheep walk the dog around sheep - with rope on and any attempt at chasing or interest 'leave it ' -USE THAT ROPE A LOT EARLY ON
    Last edited by Barry the hunter; 17-08-2023 at 02:20 PM.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    That's my worry. Can i get away with the big 2? Stay and come? Sitting is not an option. Lie down also not ok.

what the actual hell is a stay if its not the tail end of a sit?????
    honestly..if you want to park your car ,you first have to stop the plurry thing...sit IS stay......feel free to convince me I am wrong...never managed to park my car without stopping it first personally.
    putting bum on ground or laying down are both dogs choice when told to stop/sit you can get all fancy and teach it as three commands...but that makes life more confusing than needed...sit means plant your arse untill I tell you otherwise..it is a get out of jail card and may well save your dogs life... running after cat towards road..telling it to stay means nothing when its doing 35kmph telling in to come here good boy no good either..a loud blast of stop whistle is about the ONLY thing that will be heard and compute
    Moa Hunter likes this.

my earlier dogs werent even allowed to LOOK at a sheep....funny as hell when we got bottle fed lambs..poor ol Nugget the cocker spaniel was nearly turning himself inside out trying to keep away from them so as not to be told off... Meg my older bitch will to a degree work sheep,when asked..Poppy just does as she is told,leave it...means leave it...reguardless of what IT is.

yeah I once had to try and teach my daughter in laws dog not to kill chooks- taught her to stay on plywood and then on rope leave it - after two days a chook would walk past her she would turn her head as much to say chook what chook I do not see a chook - funny as hell -

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    to teach stay requires hands on the dog - hold it in position- lots of praise- you may find it easier with the plywood - gives the dog a point of reference - they do have a problem associating just a patch of grass with what you want - get those two working first- then move on - at the ned of the day what do you want the dog for - just a pet ?? - wrong breed if you have notions of an indicator - another good command to put on is leave it if you use a whistle then with that command a really loud harsh blast - if you have a neighbour with sheep walk the dog around sheep - with rope on and any attempt at chasing or interest 'leave it ' -USE THAT ROPE A LOT EARLY ON
    This is a good idea. Thanks
    She's primarily a companion dog, but she's also an occasional show dog, and sitting for treats is the worst possible thing you could train a show pup to do. We also take her bush with us, so a consistent "come" will be very helpful. She likes being around us in the bush so it's only been a problem when we've met other dogs she's wanted to run with.
    If a safe opportunity to hunt rabbits away from stock arises I'll take that up too, but again I'll need that recall so I get some rabbit too!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    what the actual hell is a stay if its not the tail end of a sit?????
    honestly..if you want to park your car ,you first have to stop the plurry thing...sit IS stay......feel free to convince me I am wrong...never managed to park my car without stopping it first personally.
    putting bum on ground or laying down are both dogs choice when told to stop/sit you can get all fancy and teach it as three commands...but that makes life more confusing than needed...sit means plant your arse untill I tell you otherwise..it is a get out of jail card and may well save your dogs life... running after cat towards road..telling it to stay means nothing when its doing 35kmph telling in to come here good boy no good either..a loud blast of stop whistle is about the ONLY thing that will be heard and compute
    It's 35 MPH, not kph!
    "Stay" for Candace is stand still, something she can do very well, especially when she's told to go to bed. I'm happy for "stay" to be standing still.
    The plywood idea might be a goer for getting the idea of staying in one spot.
    Here she is with her first kill (pic 2). A rat. The retrieving of which a "come" would have made a lot easier. She was worse than a cat with a mouse!

rugerman and dannyb like this.

ok so teach her stop...I use a double whistle...whit whit...almost like sit sit..... huntaway sheep dogs have same,stop...stand and deliver your noise big boy...so its not a not done thing..BUT make sure its rock solid no bullshit stop...when your told where your told and dont move untill told to. you can stop dog then,give next command,either carry on,or get back here....either way you have KEPT CONTROL and possibly saved dog from grievous error .
    rugerman and Eat Meater like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Eat Meater View Post
    This is a good idea. Thanks
    She's primarily a companion dog, but she's also an occasional show dog, and sitting for treats is the worst possible thing you could train a show pup to do. We also take her bush with us, so a consistent "come" will be very helpful. She likes being around us in the bush so it's only been a problem when we've met other dogs she's wanted to run with.
    If a safe opportunity to hunt rabbits away from stock arises I'll take that up too, but again I'll need that recall so I get some rabbit too!
    All very good advice up until now.
    It really sounds like you need to get to a local (reputable) trainer. MickeyDuck is pretty much right on the money. The fundamentals come first, in all situations. To his, I'd add a "heel" (seperate from "in behind")

I would keep the thing on a short rope until it is SOLID in and around you, then give it a few more meters of rope at a time.
    "come" means "come whether from 5 yards or 50 (or 500 or more - i run garmin collars)
    As above with the plywood, that's a dog-association thing. "sit" might mean sit in the kitchen, but doggo doesn't associate that with "sit" when in the lounge, or in the yard.

As dogs can be taught sit, so can they be taught stand (for shows)

My dogs free-range with my chooks, they wont hassle sheep horses or cows. It's all just a matter of exposure and them knowing what is expected.
    They don't speak english, so you're just strange animal barking while walking on it's hind legs to them.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.