Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Importing compound bow from USA

Well the wait is over, Bow turned up today, 2 months and 5 days after it left China. Slow aeroplane

First impressions are:

Camo finish is greener than I'd expected - but that's a plus in NZ.

Overall finish is good.

D loop is loose, which is good, I can move it to where I want it.

Axle to Axle is supposed to be 30 5/8" but its 32 3/4" and the Brace Height is supposed to be 7.25" but is 7.5".

The limb bolts appear to be wound out, a bit and the draw length is at 29" so when I've adjusted these, I think the A to A and Brace Height will change also..

So a photo, all I've done is mount the wrist sling and stabiliser mounts to it.

I expect I'll post some more as I work through the set up and measurements to see if it's 70 lbs and 329 fps etc.

Name:  Bow.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  458.7 KB

As you can see below, according to NZPost, it left China 2 months and 5 days ago and then 27 hours and 27 minutes after it's arrival in Auckland, it's at my door

Name:  Track.png
Views: 270
Size:  77.6 KB

There are times when I swear Murphy's law is living inside my head.

Not only are the axle to axle and brace height different, from the ones listed, but the riser is different too. I appear to have been delivered different bow to that I ordered.

I guess I'll check the draw length and draw weight tomorrow and lodge a complaint.

Have a look at the ready to hunt packages from www.huntersfriend.com You could pick up some decent brand name packages for less than a $1000. It's still best to support a local pro shop, at least until you can do all your own servicing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    from Customs website

"Customs will not collect GST, duty or charge an Import Entry Transaction Fee (IETF) on goods valued $1000 or less, unless the goods are part of a large consignment.

This does not apply to tobacco and alcohol products - duty and GST are collected regardless of the value.

If you buy goods valued over $1000, you'll have to pay duty and GST plus the IETF and MPI levy when the goods arrive in NZ.

This calculation is an estimation only and applies to goods imported for personal use after 1 December 2019.
    "

and the calculator page - https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal...uty-estimator/

-----

I bought my bow from eBay, which is collecting GST, so as my bow was < $1,000 I had only to pay the GST.

A quick research I did, was that if I'd bought a $1,500 bow, from 'wherever', it would have attracted duty of about $75 on top of what ever the GST was. And then you've got to deal with Customs etc when it gets here, to pay the moneys.

Easier to get a cheaper bow and let eBay do the GST faffing around.

Though in retrospect, I coulda saved myself the GST money, by buying from somewhere that didn't collect GST and then keeping the total purchase+ shipping+insurance, below $1,000.

Thanks Mark,

My stuff will definitely be over Nz$1000. Will have to read up a bit on customs site as to how much customs duty I will end up paying. My bow is a custom bow ordered from US bower. I don't think he will collect GST at source etc.

-Inder

Oh,my order from brownells has only been in the air for a month,at Ieast I know when it gets here nz post will get right on it.

before i tried to remove an arm on a jobsite i was using a buckmaster 70lb compound, today i pulled back the string on an EK compound that is supposed to be 70lb (it was wound all the way up) and either i have become massively stronger since the accident or they sure are ambitious about their specs

It would appear that they sent me the wrong bow, or at least a bow that's different, to the bow they advertised as Kaimei Qin 30-70lbs 329fps. https://tinyurl.com/y9nj5cdf

So after comparing what I got with photos of those on the google machine, it appears that this https://tinyurl.com/y82n22ah manufacturer makes the bow I got.

Pictures are exact and specs tally, in that, it's draw length, marked on the Cams is 16 - 31" and the draw weight, is 25-60lbs, on testing I got 62lbs max (see image). It says it's also 329fps.

So whilst I didn't get the 30-70lbs that I thought I was getting, maybe 60lbs is enough for me, but I definitely got a cheaper one, than that which I ordered. I've lodged a complaint, maybe I'll get a partial refund and keep the bow.... mmm...

Name:  graph.png
Views: 188
Size:  18.8 KB

That is quite a drama for something that isn't even what isn't even what you were after. It really is a cautionary tale!

Yes, I reckon the bow will do me well, now that I'm halfway through setting it up, 70lbs was prolly a bit ambitious for goats and rabbits and hares

But not getting what I paid for, rankles, like paying for a Range-rover and getting Great Wall ute, the ute will be fine, Just a bloody expensive one
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

A small note on the continuing uselessness of NZPost.

As noted in another thread, a digital jeweller's scale that I ordered at the beginning of April, turned up last Friday, and I think I know why it took so long.

In another post, I pointed to a vid of the NZPost CEO apologising for the delays and saying things like "we expect" and "could experience"...

All the while, in the back of shot, we can see pallets, upon pallets, upon pallets, stacked outside in the weather. See photo below, left side of shot, out through the roller doors.

Name:  nzpo.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  39.5 KB

If you've ever had one of those thermal printed paper receipts, from a shop and left it on your car dashboard, in the sun, you'll notice it fades, quite quickly.

The parcel I received last Friday had a label on each side, one label was completely faded and one was nearly illegible, but just readable enough, to make out my address, so it got delivered.

I wonder how long it was in the weather?

More NZPost uselessness - an International package with tracking, got changed from "Airline Handling Processing" to "In transit to Local Depot" two weeks ago.

Auckland Airport to a North Shore Depot, over two weeks, are they walking it? Crawling it?

In contrast, an item ordered online from Silverdale, North Shore, yesterday, delivered to Birkenhead, North Shore (31.5 km) today, by Fastway Couriers, 23 hrs and 12 minutes later.
    Last edited by MarkN; 03-09-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkN View Post
    More NZPost uselessness - an International package with tracking, got changed from "Airline Handling Processing" to "In transit to Local Depot" two weeks ago.

Auckland Airport to a North Shore Depot, over two weeks, are they walking it? Crawling it?

In contrast, an item ordered online from Silverdale, North Shore, yesterday, delivered to Birkenhead, North Shore (31.5 km) today, by Fastway Couriers, 23 hrs and 12 minutes later.
    Lucky your not rural delivery, you can safely add two weeks on from when it finaly clears customs

This next, some humour attached to the NZPost fecklessness.

"Good afternoon xxx,

This is the address on the parcel and the parcel has been handled by the correct agent as per gps. If not received please look around your property for the item or refer to sender so that they can investigate the dispute on your behalf.

If you have any questions, please reply to this email.

Kind regards

xxxx
    Customer Care Representative"

My reply ::

Thank you for your suggestion to look around the property to find my parcel.

Luckily it was in my neighbour’s mailbox 2/52 xxx rd and not in some other mailbox down the road somewhere. See attached images.

I congratulate NZPost for adding a new dimension to your services, of “Treasure Hunt!” and “See if you can find it!”.

I have still some 5 items I ordered from eBay in April, that have yet to be delivered, though one did turn up, a week ago, so I am hopeful.

I will no longer raise concerns with you, henceforth I will conduct a search, of neighbouring and nearby properties and suburbs, on Monday, Wednesday and Friday which are my suburb’s mail delivery days.

_