Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dundee

Thread: Recurve or compound bow for hunting

Recurve or compound bow for hunting

Hi guys and gals I am considering getting into archery, with the intention of hunting, as opposed to target shooting.

Bit surprised by the cost but, am not wanting to spend a massive amount in case I don't like it, flung a few arrows and it was fun but am unsure whether to get a recurve, and I have found one that will accept an arrow rest and sights as well as a quiver on the side, or go for a compound, that obviously will take all of that and more.

Dont need advice about brands, just types, I understand that with a recurve I will need gloves and with a compound I will need a release aid, and with both effective hunting range will be a max of about 40 metres to reduce chance of just wounding an animal, so will a recurve cut it-as it's about half the cost of a compound, or does the compound really make for a much better tool?

Please tell me what you went with and why.

Shelley

Plenty of hunters kill animals successfully with a recurve bow, but consistent accuracy and the added energy that the mechanical advantage of the compound bow brings, makes it a far more reliable hunting tool.
    From the recurve hunters that I've seen practicing at clubs, few can consistently place an arrow within a deers kill zone at 40 yards and 25-30 yards would be a more realistic range with a well practiced recurve archer.
    The compound bow is a much more accurate and effective tool for most archers to hunt with.

Hi Shelley,
    Possum trapper got his first goat with a recurve bow.
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...t-goats-11597/
    Matt2308 likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Hi Shelley,
    First, are you a boy or a girl?
    Not that women can not hunt with a recurved bow but it is a bit harder to draw and requires a lot more training to be efficient at killing big game.

The compound bow throw the arrows faster ( at equal draw weight) and is usually quicker to " master".
    The recurved bow requires a lot more training to be efficient .
    And then there is the feel that both type of bows can provide:
    A bit like riding a fast modern sports bike or cruising on an old BSA.
    I think you should go to an archery shop ( advance archery in Auckland or. Archery direct in Hamilton for exemple) or a local archery club and have a bit of a shoot with both type of bows.
    Good luck

Friwi

Talk to Simon at advanced archery in Auckland there is not much he doesn't know about bow hunting.
    SOMETIMES I QUESTION MY SANITY......OCCASIONALLY IT ANSWERS BACK .!