Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 110 grainers in 270win

there might be two types of hornady 110hps.....cause the varmit flat based ones are definately a good option on deer....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    there might be two types of hornady 110hps.....cause the varmit flat based ones are definately a good option on deer....
    Might be placement and not running them flat out makes the difference, 3100 vs 3400, he was professionally culling and guiding and shot big deer and small, his mate was using them on stags and Tahr - I have a couple hundred of them and they shoot silly good, but won't try them on anything of size until my own eyeballs confirm, just so happens that in my Browning they hold the same windage as 130 Hotcor and 150 SST, so they'll make a good dual load in any case. Would give 110 AB's a go if they could be found, a bit scarce and pricy though. Let me replicate 25/06 that would.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I wasnt running them hot.......

the 110grn hpfb is no longer listed....there is a match projectile with cannalure and another but not the old ones.... you fellas big enough and ugly enough to make up your own minds,just be cautious and PLEASE have another round on hand incase it does turn to crap.....my experience with them left bad taste in mouth that hasnt deminished over time...for wallabies they are awesome....

that should have read NOT a good option...and now it wont let me edit it GRRRRR.

that should have read NOT a good option...and now it wont let me edit it GRRRRR.
    gotta hit them first
    #DANNYCENT

Thanks all, starting to get a feel of it. Another practical consideration is, having a quick look at the projectile list at Gunworks, they only list two options in 110gn and both Barnes. Why would I pay twice what I can get 130s for? There’s obviously cheaper options but it becomes academic when there is no real world advantage when comparing price, performance, results etc.
    That’s fine, I may still scratch that itch for curiosity’s sake. After all, that’s what happens when you head down the rabbit hole of reloading.
    Look forward to more comment. I have stocks of the following powder, AR2209, 2213sc, 2206h, and W760. Faster burning for lighter bullets?
    “Age is a very high price to pay for maturity”

110grn barnes......interesting to use,as expected lower recoil but preformance is rather vanilla....they will do nothing a 130-140-150-160-170grn cup n core wont do a whole heap better...straight line penertration is the ONLY real advantage they have,but a heavier cup n core will still reem right through so its academic really.
    bog std hornady interlocks are a good cheap,reliable,accurate projectile that kill just fine n dandy.
    7mmwsm, Mooseman, Longrun and 1 others like this.

Victim of the 110g Barnes is hanging in the chiller currently
    Name:  Snapchat-199220756.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  951.9 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.