Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 150 grain bullets in .270win

sneakywaza I got
    Mmmmm- 5 x 3 shot groups shot on 4 targets, measuring between sub half inch and three quarter inch, I must be missing something? Was put up to show: same rifle/same day/same target/same projectile but two different powders, one of which had been referenced as unsuitable for decent velocity for 150 projectile in. 270, but is in fact fine.

Heavy for calibre projectile, driven reasonably fast for calibre, in a 6lb rifle. The OP was questioning the viability of 150 in .270

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I must be missing something?
    Yeah, the red dot!!!

I was thinking the paper would have all the shots in line with the point of aim not a group over here and a group over there
    Name:  2014-05-24 11.55.54.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  144.7 KB
    Spook likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I use 150gn SSTs in my Sako .270.

56gn of 2213sc, Fed Match primers, neck sized RP brass, seated to fit mag.
    Recorded the following groups at 100m when load testing.
    0.41"
    0.26"
    0.42"
    Welcome to Sako club.

sneakywaza I got
    Seriously? ok: rifle zero is for 150 SST, which just happens to be going somewhere else, am assuming you adjust your zero to suit loads being tested, rather than the load you are currently using as that rifles hunting load?

I prefer to retain the zero used for hunting and do not really care where anything being tested goes, they could lad on the target next door for all I care- group potential has nothing to do with where they land, until the decision is made that that load is going to be "the one" at which point the zero is shifted to suit that load. Now, Do you have useful input re 150gn loads, powders, projectiles and terminal performance at varying ranges?
    veitnamcam, Neckshot and Gibo like this.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    I use 150gn SSTs in my Sako .270.

56gn of 2213sc, Fed Match primers, neck sized RP brass, seated to fit mag.
    Recorded the following groups at 100m when load testing.
    0.41"
    0.26"
    0.42"
    Barrel length and velocity?

I've only touched my turrets twice. Once when using factory ammo to get a rough center while I fire formed then another time I gave it 2clicks left for my reloads. All my 15+ loads over 3 projectiles have always shot around the same area as those three groups.

I didn't know rifles could spit projectiles everywhere like your pic thats all
    VIVA LA HOWA

^ sigh...

Barrel length and velocity?
    Factory 75 Finnlight, so has the short 20 /8" barrel, so speed is sloooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Welcome to Sako club.

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I've only touched my turrets twice. Once when using factory ammo to get a rough center while I fire formed then another time I gave it 2clicks left for my reloads. All my 15+ loads over 3 projectiles have always shot around the same area as those three groups.

I didn't know rifles could spit projectiles everywhere like your pic thats all
    "Spit projectiles every where"... not sure if you are conducting a wind up or being deliberately obtuse.

Perhaps I will try a simplified explaination of what has occurred, just for you.

1- zero rifle to load used for hunting. This load is good for a consistant 3/4 and is zero for windage and three inches high at 110 yards. This is now the default load.That load is not on this target.
    2- test load using a different projectile, use red dot as aim point, and see where they go, how fast and if they have group potential for further development. 2.5" high, 1.5" left- 3/4" group.
    3- retest same load using different red dot to determine potential for consistency.2.5"high,1.25" left -sub 3/4" group.
    4- test load on different powder charge, same projectile, use different red dot, to determine potential grouping accuracy and speed potential.2"high, 1.4" left- 1/4" group
    5- retest this new load again, using a different red dot, to determine potential for consistency 1.75" high, 1.5" left- 1/2" group
    6- remaing rounds fire using aim point between the top red dots.

Can you explain "spitting projectiles everywhere", I am confused by this. As a first up test for the Berger VDL in this rifle,, I considered it to be quite productive and worthy of development.

You could, potentially have a grasp of load development and shooting that I do not, you could become a tutorial master, and those of us that are inept in that field could be your students......

Would also appreciate your input to the thread subject, which was: 150gn projectiles and powders in .270.
    1- Which 150gn .270 projectiles have you tested?
    2- Which powders have you used in those tests?
    3- What velocities have you achieved?
    4- What overall grouping potential did you discover?
    5- What terminal performance on game have you observed?.

sneakywaza I got
    Factory 75 Finnlight, so has the short 20 /8" barrel, so speed is sloooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    MCCHE171, has a 20" barrel also, and is interested in 150gn performance in .270, you might have an observation or two?. In your short barrel, would you consider a light for calibre projectile like the 110 TTSX and a faster powder to gain back velocity?

When I first got the Finnlight in 2009 I did just that.
    Tried 110gn projectiles and 2208 to the existing 2209 and 2213sc I was using.
    My rifle seems to like 2213, both with 130gn and 150gn projectiles though.
    Never got around trying Alliant R19/R22 or Viht N150/N160
    I was using 130gn Gamekings for a while loaded at an atomic 2.5gn over max. Muzzle flash and recoil were amusing.
    But decided to go for one mild loaded heavier projectile instead of a bush and dedicated longer range load.

Only load I wouldn't mind working up is the 150gn Long range Accubond, but too busy to get around to it.
    Welcome to Sako club.

"Spit projectiles every where"... not sure if you are conducting a wind up or being deliberately obtuse.

Perhaps I will try a simplified explaination of what has occurred, just for you. good

1- zero rifle to load used for hunting. This load is good for a consistant 3/4 and is zero for windage and three inches high at 110 yards. This is now the default load.That load is not on this target.
    2- test load using a different projectile, use red dot as aim point, and see where they go, how fast and if they have group potential for further development. 2.5" high, 1.5" left- 3/4" group.
    3- retest same load using different red dot to determine potential for consistency.2.5"high,1.25" left -sub 3/4" group.
    4- test load on different powder charge, same projectile, use different red dot, to determine potential grouping accuracy and speed potential.2"high, 1.4" left- 1/4" group
    5- retest this new load again, using a different red dot, to determine potential for consistency 1.75" high, 1.5" left- 1/2" group
    6- remaing rounds fire using aim point between the top red dots.

Can you explain "spitting projectiles everywhere",

Name:  20072014.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  232.9 KB
    That. I feel like I haven't wrote something how I mean it otherwise you aren't reading what I said properly but from my experience (yes its limited) I didn't know different loads sent projectiles over the paper like that. I'm not talking groups and adjusting sights or what ever I'm talking the different places on the whole page its hitting.

Here's 2 different loads on the same page with different projectiles, from my targets I have shot doesn't matter what they are the only real difference is group size, they still hit around the top of the cross, not way out to the side or down low. Thats what I was trying to say before though clearly I didn't make that clear

Name:  2014-05-24 11.56.09.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  171.7 KB
    just to add these loads were when I started. Way low, I have the speed well up now the amaxs have tightened up a bit.

Would also appreciate your input to the thread subject, which was: 150gn projectiles and powders in .270.
    1- Which 150gn .270 projectiles have you tested? none, only 130's
    2- Which powders have you used in those tests? 2213sc, three types of blackpowder
    3- What velocities have you achieved? can't remember, have it here somewhere but not gonna dig it up
    4- What overall grouping potential did you discover? iirc around a inch using a savage axis (130)
    5- What terminal performance on game have you observed?.
    I watched 3 goats fall over on the spot at 300m thats all
    VIVA LA HOWA

I was using 130gn Gamekings for a while loaded at an atomic 2.5gn over max. Muzzle flash and recoil were amusing.
    But decided to go for one mild loaded heavier projectile instead of a bush and dedicated longer range load.

Only load I wouldn't mind working up is the 150gn Long range Accubond, but too busy to get around to it.
    I was getting some good daytime muzzle flash from teh remmy when I got up to 56 grains of 2209 and the muzzle blast threw up a small clump of grass on one shot I took thought I had hit the ground in front of me
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

sneakywaza I got

Might be worth looking at the 150 Berger VLD also, lesser bearing surface seems to yield a little more velocity, a little more bc than the SST and good terminal performance, the LRAB's seem to be a little awkward to get and expensive if you shoot a lot. My .270 is a recent experiment as I had a 270 barrel on the bench after rebarelling another rifle, and then finally shooting out the barrel in my 2506ai gave the 270 barrel a new home, may yet pull it (or sell the rifle) and build a .25 Gibbs instead, have a really good 7mm Mag that shades the .270 by too big a margin.( and an 8.5 lb 7mm Mag doesn't have the amusing recoil that a 6 lb .270 loaded hot does!). Obviously, the .270 has a long and successful history but this one is my first, and I have found the 150's best for terminal performance in the limited game numbers shot with it .

Agree, the 150gn SSTs in my rifle shoot well both at 30m to 200m + ranges.
    Either bang flops or at best a 25m run before expiring (snap shot, hit bit back than normal).

I went off the 130gn Gamekings after a 325m shot on a red hind (top animal)

Thought I had only wounded her, so put another shot in and she dropped on the spot.
    Went I got to her, both shots had gone through the engine room but had exited with minimal expansion.
    Welcome to Sako club.