Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 150 grain bullets in .270win

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Might be worth looking at the 150 Berger VLD also, lesser bearing surface seems to yield a little more velocity, a little more bc than the SST and good terminal performance, the LRAB's seem to be a little awkward to get and expensive if you shoot a lot. My .270 is a recent experiment as I had a 270 barrel on the bench after rebarelling another rifle, and then finally shooting out the barrel in my 2506ai gave the 270 barrel a new home, may yet pull it (or sell the rifle) and build a .25 Gibbs instead, have a really good 7mm Mag that shades the .270 by too big a margin.( and an 8.5 lb 7mm Mag doesn't have the amusing recoil that a 6 lb .270 loaded hot does!). Obviously, the .270 has a long and successful history but this one is my first, and I have found the 150's best for terminal performance in the limited game numbers shot with it .
    My goal later on when I can afford it is to have another 7mm whether it be a 280 or 7mm WSM i have not made my mind up yet as I do not know if I want to rebarrel the remington later down the track and go 284 or buy one factory made in the first two 7mm calibers I mentioned and keep the 270 or what but that will be a while off yet.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    My goal later on when I can afford it is to have another 7mm whether it be a 280 or 7mm WSM i have not made my mind up yet as I do not know if I want to rebarrel the remington later down the track and go 284 or buy one factory made in the first two 7mm calibers I mentioned and keep the 270 or what but that will be a while off yet.
    280 is a good bet, will do a little more than .270 in similar weights, but the critical advantage is the ability to use the heavier projectile weights, not sure about the 7mm WSM though, the .300 WSM suffers for capacity if you want to go heavy, the 7 may have the same problem. The .280 has an advantage over the .284 for case development- you can go to 280ai or much faster, .280 Gibbs, with the Gibbs you will get 7mm Mag performance but on the 06 case, then you could keep the .270 barrel for if you wanted to go back.

All this 150 grain talk is getting me worked up! Will have to have an epic fail with the 140 ABs first. Cant see it happening though. Man I must be a pussy if my 140s are only doing 2719fps aye?
    mcche171 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    All this 150 grain talk is getting me worked up! Will have to have an epic fail with the 140 ABs first. Cant see it happening though. Man I must be a pussy if my 140s are only doing 2719fps aye?
    That does seem very much on the slow side! if its accurate who cares
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    That does seem very much on the slow side! if its accurate who cares
    Yip thats what ive been telling myself, trouble is im starting to convince myself otherwise. The struggle within aye!

Stupidly hot load velocity is over rated. Been there, done that.
    My .270 loads are like yours, slow for accuracy and added bonus is longer brass life.
    In combination with that and neck sizing brass I barely have to trim the cases.

Also slow loads with plastic tipped projectiles (SSTs in my case) seems to cut down on any blow ups on impact.
    Gibo likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Yip, with that dogmatix i will keep my naughty greedy side under wraps

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Stupidly hot load velocity is over rated. Been there, done that.
    My .270 loads are like yours, slow for accuracy and added bonus is longer brass life.
    In combination with that and neck sizing brass I barely have to trim the cases.

Also slow loads with plastic tipped projectiles (SSTs in my case) seems to cut down on any blow ups on impact.
    Not only brass life...one cannot undo any stress and strain put on the rifle with hot loads.
    Gibo likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Yip, with that dogmatix i will keep my naughty greedy side under wraps
    Stoke it up mate or ya might as well just use a 7-08!!!
    veitnamcam, Spook, Toby and 1 others like this.

Ha ha you contradicting bugger! Im yet to even case length any. The cases just dont budge, but now that ive aquired all this brass.......
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

Gibo if it is accurate stick with it because it aint broke so don't try to fix it but if you decide to then you may find another accuracy node with a hotter charge but then you may also end up doing better with a 12g and 00 buckshot too, I have found with my two current 130 grain loads for the hornady sofpoint that bullet works well for me under 51.5 grains of 2209 giving me 0.9 inch at 100 meters and yet the sierra gameking gives me one inch at 100 meters under 53.5 grains of 2209 anything hotter than that my rifle will not give me any acceptable accuracy.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I totally agree with not chasing speed but there is a line in the sand where min velocities should come into it. One of the reason I've chosen to stay with my 150gr partitions instead of the LRAB that were shooting tighter was speed. With the partitions doing 2850 I was 6" low @ 300 being 1.5" high @ 100. Now with the LRAB doing 2700 I'm 12" low. I realise if your dialling it shouldn't be an issue, but getting projectiles flying flat(ish) is going to be more advantageous than a b52 bomber.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunta View Post
    I totally agree with not chasing speed but there is a line in the sand where min velocities should come into it. One of the reason I've chosen to stay with my 150gr partitions instead of the LRAB that were shooting tighter was speed. With the partitions doing 2850 I was 6" low @ 300 being 1.5" high @ 100. Now with the LRAB doing 2700 I'm 12" low. I realise if your dialling it shouldn't be an issue, but getting projectiles flying flat(ish) is going to be more advantageous than a b52 bomber.
    I tend to agree. The advantage of the .270 is the proposed flatter shooting slug at around the 3-500m mark? If I wanted a 150 to do 2700fps I'd just buy a packet of whatever's and grab the 308 and go shooting wouldn't I???!!!
    Devils advocate I know as a 150 doing over 2500fps has shot more deer than any other flavour.
    Interesting reading.
    Dan M

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunta View Post
    Yep, the partition is an outstanding bullet choice, but hampered by poor bc, but decent velocity that is suited to the ranges typically hunted, makes up for that. Realistically, inch is plenty good out to 300 or so anyway. I like to chase speed in the same way I want to see over the next ridge all the time, it's what I like to do, but hunting loads get backed up to where they suit that particular rifles intended use. IE: my 308 close bush rifle is only doing 2800 with 150gn Sierra Pro Hunters, not overly fast and well suited to the task, my 7mmMag is doing 3000 with 180 Berger VLD's, which is moderately fast- it's intended use is intermediate and long range, and is suitably scoped for that.

Not convinced about the LRAB's, prefer the VLD.