Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: 162gn ELDX not expanding

First up thanks to Mrs Flyblown for putting the bullets together on the computer and Flyblown for the idea of cross sectioning the ELD X bullets. What strikes me is that the jacket walls look quite thick, when you compare these to a A Max jacket it is quite noticeable the difference in thickness. I also cut a 162 gr A Max and a 150 gr 7 mm ELD X but I don't think the pictures came out that well. When I compare the ELD X and A Max 162 gr 7 mm bullets there is a big difference, We all know that the A Max worked well especially as the distance increased so I can't understand why the ELD X would be opening up to quickly.
    On most of the cross sectioned bullets it was very noticeable that they lacked the interlock ring or it was very small , you can clearly see it on the 6.5 bullet and it was visible on the 7 mm 150 gr bullet but not so on the others.
    I think the initial question was that the bullet was over expanding but looking at the bullets they do sport substantial jackets so it shouldn't be an issue.
    The 6.5 bullet does have a thinner jacket on the ogive, weather this is a problem at the velocity they are mostly used at I don't think so, we certainly haven't had a problem with them in a 6.5 X 55 and 260 at 2750 fps.
    As @Flyblown stated a lot of problem comes more from bullet placement rather than the bullet its self.
    It will be interesting to hear other people's thoughts.
    dannyb likes this.

I'm not sure its the projectile that's no good more to the point to me they seem too unpredictable some do the job some go right through and some explode when the hit a rib mind you we're talking large animals
    I have shot wild dogs and the 162 eld-x penciled straight through dog did eventually stop but not a good kill for such a large caliber on such a medium size animal I've never shot deer so I can't comment on them
    I push all my 7mm bullets around 2950fps I get the best performance and accuracy around that so I just leave it there although I tweek it a little from time to time I doubt we'll ever see a perfect all round projectile as there are too many variables like close, long distance quarter on shots wind weight caliber and the list goes on but what I have noticed over here and the little I've read on this forum is that the 6.5 seems to like the eld-x around the 140gr it just stones the animal maybe it's an exceptional bullet for that caliber, I didn't like it in my 7mm mag but that doesn't mean others don't like it in theirs as they probably shoot slightly smaller animals than I do with the bulls

Yesterday I shot a hind with a 162 a-max at 390 yds. Muzzle velocity was 2750, I hit her 1/3 of the way up her shoulder straight above her leg. The exit was down low in front of her opposite leg. Exit hole was about 1.5-2cm. She dropped on the spot. I was a little surprised how small the exit was, but it obviously did the damage inside.
    A lot of projectile issues aren't projectile issues, often shot placement.
    Link, Gibo, superdiver and 3 others like this.

I think we all agree that the A Max and ELD X at range are good performers its on those closer shots that there may be a problem. Looking at the cross sectioned bullets they look heavy enough in the jackets to be reliable at closer range, the true test is shooting animals a various ranges to get a better idea of them . As Stug said a lot of the issues are probably bullet placement issues.
    dannyb likes this.